Mellor incident | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Mellor incident

C

Cobi Budge.

One of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen in live football.

That's the angriest I've seen home park in a long time, the ref wasn't safe for that 5 minutes.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
What happened?

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Agreed it was unbelievable they could easily have scored I think the ref wanted that though

C

Cobi Budge.

Mellor had to have some blood wiped off his chin, reluctantly left the field, he stood for around 5 Minutes ready to come on when Cheltenham were battering us (he was on the other side for most of the 5 minutes).

Every fan inside HP on their feet screaming, Sheridan looked as if he were about to explode.

Jan 31, 2005
South Devon
www.pafc.co.uk
Mellor went off for a blood injury - changed shirts but then stood on the sideline for around 5 minutes minutes....

The ref & lino were aware - I don't know the relevant rules, but the ball stayed live during this time; I wonder if it needed to go out?

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
It does not need to go out even the ref's assessor in the director's box apparently agreed that the ref had a mare (on that incident)

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
With a blood injury/blood soiled kit, he can't return until the officials have confirmed he is "clean" although at this level I don't know why that can't be done by the fourth official.

What is interesting is that Cheltenham must have kept the ball for a whole five minutes because had Argyle had a kick during this time they would surely have put it out of play to allow Mellor to be checked and return.

Another case of the players, manager and the crowd not knowing the Laws I'm sorry to say. The ref may have had a bad day but it seems to me he got this one right.

C

Cobi Budge.

Nobody confirmed that it was clean, the ref just waved him back on as he would with any other injury.....after a ridiculous period of time.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Lundan Cabbie":1p3hf9o4 said:
With a blood injury/blood soiled kit, he can't return until the officials have confirmed he is "clean" although at this level I don't know why that can't be done by the fourth official.

What is interesting is that Cheltenham must have kept the ball for a whole five minutes because had Argyle had a kick during this time they would surely have put it out of play to allow Mellor to be checked and return.

Another case of the players, manager and the crowd not knowing the Laws I'm sorry to say. The ref may have had a bad day but it seems to me he got this one right.

Agreed. We had two opportunities to put the ball out. But ... the referee didn't (nor I believe the lino) check on Mellor. So whilst the interpretation was correct, they really didn't act it out.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Lundan Cabbie":3eehcomd said:

The players don't have to kick the ball out, it's up to the ref to stop play.

Today the ref didn't check Mellor was "clean" when he eventually came back onto the pitch.

When the ball is on the far side of the pitch away from the player waiting to come on the ref usually waves him back on.

C

CornerBoy

Cobi Budge.":2d28s6wu said:
Nobody confirmed that it was clean, the ref just waved him back on as he would with any other injury.....after a ridiculous period of time.

That's correct, he was not confirmed clean by anyone so god knows why he wasn't waved on sooner, bizarre situation.

Mar 23, 2008
Plympton
If that's the case, why couldn't the Lino on that side "confirm" that he was clean and ready to come back on instead of leaving it. Was absolutely ridiculous

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":rkam6d2a said:
Lundan Cabbie":rkam6d2a said:

The players don't have to kick the ball out, it's up to the ref to stop play.

Today the ref didn't check Mellor was "clean" when he eventually came back onto the pitch.

When the ball is on the far side of the pitch away from the player waiting to come on the ref usually waves him back on.

That is true for when a player has only gone off just for treatment but it should be different where blood is involved.

However the referee should not stop play simply to check a player to allow him to return. It should happen when the ball goes out of play naturally. I only suggest that Argyle could have put the ball out of play to hasten the return of their player.

Like I said though, if common sense was used the fourth official could do this and then inform the ref he was okay and ready to return. That is why they are mid'd up.