Some Credit To James Brent | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Some Credit To James Brent

• Thread starter Frazer Lloyd-Davies
  • Start date
F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

I was sat in the pub last night and my friend said, "I haven't heard you complain about John Sheridan in a while mate." He was right.

We've just gone October unbeaten. We've only dropped points once, in the nil-nil draw at Wimbledon. We haven't conceded once in the league and we knocked out better opposition in the cup. We're in the sort of form that we haven't seen in years and I'm genuinely no longer worrying about how we'll muck things up on a weekend.

Massive credit must go to Shezza for that but I can see the 'Manager of the Month' thread and think Brent deserves some credit too.

He's been somewhat of a villain as of late. When will the stadium be built? When we will be financially sound? He even got complaints yesterday at the Fans' Forum for holding the event pre-match not post-match.

But despite opportunities to buck under fan pressure, and quite frankly follow the footballing norm of hitting the managerial panic button, Brent has stood by his man. He's had chances to sack Sheridan, and most on here have asked him to do so (myself included), but he's stuck in there and this month we've started to see what Sheridan has been building.

Of course, it's just a start. It's not even Christmas yet but I'm starting to think Brent may have made a good decision with Sheridan. I'm loving watching and listening to Argyle at the moment and long may it continue!

:scarf:

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":l8ldadkd said:
I was sat in the pub last night and my friend said, "I haven't heard you complain about John Sheridan in a while mate." He was right.

We've just gone October unbeaten. We've only dropped points once, in the nil-nil draw at Wimbledon. We haven't conceded once in the league and we knocked out better opposition in the cup. We're in the sort of form that we haven't seen in years and I'm genuinely no longer worrying about how we'll muck things up on a weekend.

Massive credit must go to Shezza for that but I can see the 'Manager of the Month' thread and think Brent deserves some credit too.

He's been somewhat of a villain as of late. When will the stadium be built? When we will be financially sound? He even got complaints yesterday at the Fans' Forum for holding the event pre-match not post-match.

But despite opportunities to buck under fan pressure, and quite frankly follow the footballing norm of hitting the managerial panic button, Brent has stood by his man. He's had chances to sack Sheridan, and most on here have asked him to do so (myself included), but he's stuck in there and this month we've started to see what Sheridan has been building.

Of course, it's just a start. It's not even Christmas yet but I'm starting to think Brent may have made a good decision with Sheridan. I'm loving watching and listening to Argyle at the moment and long may it continue!

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration but I get your point. There was even a thread started titled The Board Have Lost The Plot because they hadn't sacked him. Some of us could see the bigger picture. It's early days but he's doing fine for me.

J

just_ste

Frazer Lloyd-Davies":1ts5thzt said:

Spot on mate,hes winning me over,long may it continue
:)

Mar 23, 2008
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":3vzhmhm7 said:

Fully agree and good post. Like you I would have had him pull the trigger which in hindsight would have been wrong.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Sheridan seems to be improving things in spite of Brent's hot air and half baked plans not because of it.
If that can be spun into credit for Brent, so be it.
But I never thought Brent came closing to canning Sheridan, I don't recall the dreaded vote of confidence or must win home game arising.

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
Gary_Wills":3pre266n said:
Sheridan seems to be improving things in spite of Brent's hot air and half baked plans not because of it.
But I never thought Brent came closing to canning Sheridan, I don't recall the dreaded vote of confidence or must win home game arising.
Thats the point; JB is sticking with Sheridan, despite earlier calls to ditch him, and rightly deserves some of the credit whilst we do well.

Jul 29, 2010
I'd always taken the view that the James Brent tenure was going to be a case of playing the long game, gaining stability after administration was never going to be a quick fix.

Trouble is that stance doesn't sit comfortably with the inevitable day-to-day impatience of football fans. A couple of defeats and the knives come out. That's knee jerking for you, I don't do it, i'd wager there's a silent majority that don't do it either, but I get why it happens. It's unfair, I don't think we should be run to a short-termist agenda but I do understand the frustrations of those without stout knees.

Signs are that it's starting to bear fruit but we're a long way from being home and hosed, he still has the NWO's debts to pay off, the grandstand to deliver and many fair questions to answer around finance and long term direction.

But while things are improving he deserves credit. If for no other reason, when things are bad the Chairman and manager get it in the neck, so when times are good they should also get the credit.

Lots still to do, a very long way still to go, but we're heading the right way :clap:

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
X Isle":2cmoct2e said:
I'd always taken the view that the James Brent tenure was going to be a case of playing the long game, gaining stability after administration was never going to be a quick fix.

Trouble is that stance doesn't sit comfortably with the inevitable day-to-day impatience of football fans. A couple of defeats and the knives come out. That's knee jerking for you, I don't do it, i'd wager there's a silent majority that don't do it either, but I get why it happens. It's unfair, I don't think we should be run to a short-termist agenda but I do understand the frustrations of those without stout knees.

Signs are that it's starting to bear fruit but we're a long way from being home and hosed, he still has the NWO's debts to pay off, the grandstand to deliver and many fair questions to answer around finance and long term direction.

But while things are improving he deserves credit. If for no other reason, when things are bad the Chairman and manager get it in the neck, so when times are good they should also get the credit.

Lots still to do, a very long way still to go, but we're heading the right way :clap:

I love it when I can agree with x isle, spot on.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
X Isle":3mnipvkf said:

Spot on Mr X.

You wonder (hope) that the recent on field success can be sustained and ultimately
help facilitate those things he still has to deliver. We always wanted the football first!!

COYGS

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I'm going to attract some obscenities and swim against the tide by saying I still don't thinj Brent's in it for the long term.

I think the bigger picture involves taking a debt ridden, buckled and rock bottom club at a rock bottom price, regenerating it by restructuring the debt and making it self sufficient over time. The car park investment was to own the foundations of HHP and the plans for HHP the icing on the cake for both him and the club before putting the club in the shop window for the next phase.

Clearly only my opinion and whilst I'm sat here very happy with our league position, I'm also pleased at the news that the council may well fund/own the new grandstand keeping it all 'plymouth' owned and not a profitable venture for someone else.

Jul 29, 2010
But Tuggers, that's pretty much exactly what he said when he took over. He wanted to get us back on our feet, take us to our natural level, the championship, and then hand us over to someone who can take us on to uncharted territory.

Personally I reckon that'll take decades so one's definition of long term is up to the individual.

Mar 29, 2011
I was looking at the longest serving managers in English football yesterday and Sheridan is 30th of the 92. He's not been here for 2 years, yet there are 62 managers who have been in charge for less time.

I haven't looked into this in that much detail however I bet there are clubs below him that have had 3-4 managers in that period.

The point I'm trying to make is that whilst I do agree Brent does deserve credit, it's mainly for not dropping to what seems like every other clubs level. Football fans need to realise that football isn't a game where you'll sit at the same form based on what's on paper. Why would you bother watching if you knew what the outcome would be every time?

This does need to be played down in exactly the same way in that we're doing well. We are on a good run of form but that also doesn't mean Sheridan is the best thing since sliced bread. Consistently, he is doing a good job. This has good and bad spells. You wouldn't split up with your partner just because you've had a couple of bad weekends in a row!

Jan 6, 2004
Trev501":3t4zdbmq said:
Gary_Wills":3t4zdbmq said:
Thats the point; JB is sticking with Sheridan, despite earlier calls to ditch him, and rightly deserves some of the credit whilst we do well.

And you think this is due to footballing prescience on Brent's part rather than the wish to avoid paying out the remainder of Sheridan's contract and probably having to pay a higher salary to get somebody else down here? Yes Sheridan is coming good, but a bit of a stretch to believe Brent foresaw it.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Green_Flash":1ibs4306 said:
Trev501":1ibs4306 said:
Gary_Wills":1ibs4306 said:

And you think this is due to footballing prescience on Brent's part rather than the wish to avoid paying out the remainder of Sheridan's contract and probably having to pay a higher salary to get somebody else down here? Yes Sheridan is coming good, but a bit of a stretch to believe Brent foresaw it.

I agree. You only have to cast your mind back to the drawn out slow motion car crash saga that was the last few months of Fletchers tenure to know that Sheridan was at no point in any danger of the boot. Nor should he have ever been. People calling for Sheridan to be sacked a while back merely demonstrated their wafer-thin football knowledge. So to say Brent deserves credit for not sacking him on the basis of us spending some time in lower mid-table is a bit dumb. I could easily catalogue a list of errors and mistakes Brent has made and continues to make - the one thing he does deserve kudos for is appointing Sheridan.