Another team called 'The Pilgrims' | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Another team called 'The Pilgrims'

Jun 8, 2014
I did but think that's only from times bumbling through Wikipedia.

Should we be liking or disliking the fact they've copied us?

Jan 31, 2005
South Devon
www.pafc.co.uk
Moreso, they've got the Mayflower on their crest & their away kit is proper Argyle green......

Tony Pulis was there in a advisory capacity before he came to us.

Oh, & Apprently they've got some alleged history; something to do with the Pilgrim Fathers (who didn't come from Plymouth).

Sep 12, 2003
Plymouth
www.pafc.co.uk
i think the pilgrim fathers originally started off from Boston and stopped off at plymouth on their way to america(i think, it was a loooooooooooooooooooong time ago that i studied history)

A

Alderney Green

A Mr McCormick played a couple of games on loan for them during his first spell with us

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Plymouth was the final stop of the Mayflower voyage before it set sail for the New World, Boston however was the home of the first Pilgrims that decided to leave Britain and so the real starting point of the Pilgrim Fathers.

I wouldn't say either are "impersonators", both have strong claims on association with the Pilgrims, Plymouth being the place they really left England for the New World from (also the city in which it was decided that the Mayflower would make the journey alone), whilst Boston lay claim to being the starting place of the real movement away from the British establishment of the time.

T

Tyhee_Slim

If you check out the plaque on the Barbican with the names of the passengers on the Mayflower you'll see that most of them came from the East Midlands - North Notts and Lincs mainly. The sailing from Plymouth was the (I think) third attempt to get going after having to put in for repairs etc after previously sailing from Amsterdam (where they'd gone to escape England originally) and Southampton. So although Plymouth is inextricably linked with them it wasn't really a 'Janner initiative' so to speak. Probably as well really, as they'd still be deciding how big to build the ship to this day.

Then there's the little clue of Boston, Massachusets, one of America's oldest cities and one of the puritans' earliest settlements being named after the home to of some of the leading lights.

Also, am i right in thinking that some of the posters on this thread don't remember Boston's brief spell as a league club when all this came up before.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Tyhee_Slim":2zs9icyq said:
Also, am i right in thinking that some of the posters on this thread don't remember Boston's brief spell as a league club when all this came up before.

That was my first depressing thought too. Steve Evans first "success" I believe.

Jul 29, 2010
Pasties and Cider":vat1l2no said:
Tyhee_Slim":vat1l2no said:

That was my first depressing thought too. Steve Evans first "success" I believe.

T'was indeed. Success on the pitch but was found out for being somewhat 'creative' in how his players bonuses were paid.

I too was slightly depressed, nay alarmed, that the original posters were unaware of both the footballing similarities with our club identity but more importantly the historical facts surrounding (after Drake and his bowling match) the most significant story involving our city. Presumably Plymouth schools don't cover Plymouth history any more.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I saw Boston play at Plainmoor, and got into some good natured debate with some old boys who travelled down.

The one thing I will always remember was their away support, about 15 strong and their 'leader' had a megaphone (a proper one) and when he keyed it, it started with 'howay, howay, howay................' and then his minions joined in with 'Boston Boston' - That was the day I realised that The Pilgrims, with a Mayflower badge just like ours were a shadow of the real football team.

T

Tyhee_Slim

Actually, I've never liked the Pilgrims nickname. I'm not sure when it was first adopted actually (does anyone know?) but the Maylower crest was first used in the early to mid sixties, and what we now call the Mayflower side was, I think, only known as that after the small, seated area at the back of the terraces under the grandstand was installed in the late sixties, when the city was building up to the 'Mayflower 350' celebrations in 1970. Before that the club used the city's coat of arms as the crest.

The nickname itself has, in my experience, never really been used by fans in 'normal' conversation. These days most would say 'the greens' though when I was a kid 'the gyles' was still quite common (still use it myself when speaking to people who 'get it'). The only time I really remember anything like regular reference to it was when the Demport used to sing the old 'To Be A Pilgrim' hymn in the sixties.

Apart from that, I don't really think that naming ourselves after a miserable bunch of 17th century puritans is ideal. If they'd had their way there would be no time for such frivolity as playing football and our time would be far better spent in quiet contemplation of the God and all his works with maybe a little self-flagellation thrown in for good measure.

Yes, we should celebrate our nautical heritage, but (as Bristol Rovers have already nicked 'Pirates') we should maybe look to the exploits of Sir Francis Drake rather than a load of killjoys from the Midlands who couldn't wait to get out of the place. Maybe 'The Swashbucklers' or something.

On the subject of nicknames, there seem to be some that are genuinely used by fans, but I suspect that most of these are ones that have been established for years or that have sort of come about 'organically', whilst many are a bit contrived or have bern invented by PR departments or something. One that intrigues me is 'Eagles' at Crystal Palace. When I was a nipper they were 'The Glaziers' and the crest was an idealised picture of the Crystal Palace built in Hyde Park for the Great Exhibition in 1851, then dismantled and rebuilt in South London before bring destroyed by fire in 1936. The eagle is now featured in the club crest but I had a feeling that the nickname 'Eagles' came about as a result of Palace's rivalry with Brighton (Seagulls) and was born out of the fans chanting rather than through any sort of PR exercise. Perhaps our resident Palace fan can enlighten me.

Other than that, which clubs do others think have nicknames that are genuinely used hy fans in a day to day basis (my local team, Mansfield, are regularly referred to as t'Stags round these parts gor instance) and which are just things used by journalists or on official websites etc?

And who else, like me, likes the Scottish club nicknames which just seem much more quirky and strange like 'The Bully Wee' (Clyde), 'The Gable Endies' (Montrose), and 'The Honest Men' (Ayr Utd). These are all old, established ones with stories behind them, but there are also newer, fan inspired ones like my favourite 'The Blue Brazil' which Cowdenbeath fans bestowed on their their team with great irony.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The Biscuit Men became the Royals because presumably the biscuit factory closed down, so it's an interesting question as to why nicknames change.

When I was a lad, Argyle were always referred to as the 'Gyles' and I still use that to this day. The Pilgrims is the more formal name, but I would imagine most refer to Argyle as The Greens, despite that tinpot club in Dorset or wherever it is spoiling our uniqueness.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Tyhee_Slim":2f7p7jjm said:
Actually, I've never liked the Pilgrims nickname. I'm not sure when it was first adopted actually (does anyone know?) but the Maylower crest was first used in the early to mid sixties, and what we now call the Mayflower side was, I think, only known as that after the small, seated area at the back of the terraces under the grandstand was installed in the late sixties, when the city was building up to the 'Mayflower 350' celebrations in 1970. Before that the club used the city's coat of arms as the crest.

The nickname itself has, in my experience, never really been used by fans in 'normal' conversation. These days most would say 'the greens' though when I was a kid 'the gyles' was still quite common (still use it myself when speaking to people who 'get it'). The only time I really remember anything like regular reference to it was when the Demport used to sing the old 'To Be A Pilgrim' hymn in the sixties.

Apart from that, I don't really think that naming ourselves after a miserable bunch of 17th century puritans is ideal. If they'd had their way there would be no time for such frivolity as playing football and our time would be far better spent in quiet contemplation of the God and all his works with maybe a little self-flagellation thrown in for good measure. Yes, we should celebrate our nautical heritage, but (as Bristol Rovers have already nicked 'Pirates') we should maybe look to the exploits of Sir Francis Drake rather than a load of killjoys from the Midlands who couldn't wait to get out of the place. Maybe 'The Swashbucklers' or something.

On the subject of nicknames, there seem to be some that are genuinely used by fans, but I suspect that most of these are ones that have been established for years or that have sort of come about 'organically', whilst many are a bit contrived or have bern invented by PR departments or something. One that intrigues me is 'Eagles' at Crystal Palace. When I was a nipper they were 'The Glaziers' and the crest was an idealised picture of the Crystal Palace built in Hyde Park for the Great Exhibition in 1851, then dismantled and rebuilt in South London before bring destroyed by fire in 1936. The eagle is now featured in the club crest but I had a feeling that the nickname 'Eagles' came about as a result of Palace's rivalry with Brighton (Seagulls) and was born out of the fans chanting rather than through any sort of PR exercise. Perhaps our resident Palace fan can enlighten me.

Other than that, which clubs do others think have nicknames that are genuinely used hy fans in a day to day basis (my local team, Mansfield, are regularly referred to as t'Stags round these parts gor instance) and which are just things used by journalists or on official websites etc?

And who else, like me, likes the Scottish club nicknames which just seem much more quirky and strange like 'The Bully Wee' (Clyde), 'The Gable Endies' (Montrose), and 'The Honest Men' (Ayr Utd). These are all old, established ones with stories behind them, but there are also newer, fan inspired ones like my favourite 'The Blue Brazil' which Cowdenbeath fans bestowed on their their team with great irony.

I`m up for that. :greensmile:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Tyhee_Slim":2y90zw2w said:

There is no historical reason for Palace to be called the Eagles. It all started with Malcolm Allison wanting to brighten up the club in 1973. He thought "The Eagles" sounded good. It was no more than that but it stuck. The crest was changed and the club colours were changed from claret and blue to red and blue.

He also brought in an American idea of players having nicknmes. Big Mal gave himself a nickname of "The Judge" and he gave the players names too. When the season began versus Notts County, the team list in the programme showed the players by their new nicknames.

1. "The Cage" (Paul Hammond)
2. "The Shuffler" (Paddy Mulligan)
3. "Road Runner" (Tony Taylor)
4. "The Interceptor" (Nick Chatterton)
5. "Blockbuster" (Bobby Bell)
6. "Masterpieces" (Mel Blyth)
7 "The Card Shuffler" (Charlie Cook)
8. "The Sheriff" (Derek Posse)
9. "The Problem" (David Swindlehurst)
10."The Hustler" (Alan Whittle)
11. "Troublemaker" Don Rogers

Needless to say these lasted only about three weeks but that programme is now a very sought after edition.

"The Eagles" on the other hand stuck and has stayed with the club to this day.

It was Brighton who changed their nickname as part of the rivalry. Their fans taunted Palace supporters who were chanting "Eagles, Eagles!" by replying with "Seagulls, Seagulls! Around 1977 Brighton changed their nickname from "The Dolphins" to "Seagulls."

T

Tyhee_Slim

Cheers Lundan Cabbie, knew there was something in the Eagles/Seagulls thing but had forgotten the story. It's my age I think.

Dolphins eh? That's awful.