Peter Jones in Sunday Independent | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Peter Jones in Sunday Independent

R

RWW

Apologies if I have missed it but would have thought people would have discussed Peter Jones' article in the Sunday Independent.

I can't find it online but he basically says how disappointed he is at attendances.

I thought attendances have been pretty good considering the dross we have watched over the past 5 years.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Mmm, I sort of agree (with you) but I'm surprised we've dipped this season by about 400 ish, I would have thought most of us thought we'd have a not bad season. Perhaps it was Connor going that dipped it.

Saying that, if we can continue the way we are, it'll be academic as the glory hunters (or lapsed fans as some people seem to prefer to call them) will be back.

I bought the Independent as well, but I missed that article completely.

Nice bit on Gary Maclean the announcer though, who's a hidden Pasoti'ite. :greensmile:

T

Tyhee_Slim

IJN":2bm5wfm5 said:
Saying that, if we can continue the way we are, it'll be academic as the glory hunters (or lapsed fans as some people seem to prefer to call them) will be back.

A bit harsh I think. Yes, it does seem surprising that attendances are down from last season on the face of it, but it's really only in the last few games that any sort of improvements have been seen. The drop in support is more an accumulation of all the woe of the past few seasons and I don't think the crowds are too bad really. People have only so much disposable income and the rubbish that's been dished up both on and off the pitch at HP in recent years has pushed a visit to Argyle into the luxury category, something that can be afforded only when a reasonable performance can be expected (if not guaranteed).

Things will pick up if current form (or results) continue, but I think the club needs to be careful about whingeing about the support as it didnt go down too well last time and may even be interpreted by some as getting the excuses for not spending in early.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Perhaps it is Slim but I still don't get the psyche of people singing 'I'm Argyle 'til I die' when they really mean 'I'm Argyle 'til we're poo again'.

As for the disposable income argument, it's possibly a third of what most youngies spend on a Friday night now, so I'm not sure if that is true, but I know it's often used by people who perhaps want to deflect their fickleness (if there is such a word).

Can't argue about the utter garbage on the pitch for a few years, many of the games were totally dire, but again a club is for life not just for Christmas.

Saying that, if I lived any distance from Plymouth, I doubt whether I'd have bothered watching some of those home game when we lost game after game to some not very good opposition.

I remember watching Burton pigging Albion bore us to a 1-0 defeat and then saw that they went up to 6th position in doing so.

Still the embers are there now, I get excited about my team chances now, rather than pray to the football Gods for help, so let's hope that more and more come back, and then we will a sort of self fulfilling prophecy again.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Gary_Wills":rfm9z2do said:
You need to have a very short memory to be a true fan it seems.

Alternatively one could say you need to have a very short attention span to be a Glory Hunter.

L G

ā™£ļø PACSA Member
āœ… Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
RWW":7wk80kig said:
Apologies if I have missed it but would have thought people would have discussed Peter Jones' article in the Sunday Independent.

I can't find it online but he basically says how disappointed he is at attendances.

I thought attendances have been pretty good considering the dross we have watched over the past 5 years.
Apologies accepted.
Brief synopsis, page 6 :cool:

Dec 26, 2010
Although I hardly ever miss a home game, I am sympathetic with the non attenders. Over the last couple of years there have been few games that have been good to watch. Even as recently as Shrewsbury, though we won, it was pretty tedious stuff. I'm hoping that people would have seen last Saturday's goals, particularly the first one (including a full back nutmegging his marker with a backheel, in the build up), and decide that it might be worth going.

Sep 23, 2005
It's not like turning a switch and it's going to take a while before those that have found something else to fill their Saturdays think that we are worth a punt again. Who can blame 'em.

We have put a good few off with pretty poor entertainment for what seems like an eternity. Peter Jones should not worry about us stalwarts preaching the Argyle gospel but continued consistent results will give us the ammunition we need to change minds.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I can't comment as I say I missed the article, but was it a 'bit disappointed with the attendances' or a 'Bleddy Plymouth public don't deserve a football team'?

I know how these things can be completely distorted.

As it happens I think the latter is probably true, but that's my own opinion nobody elses.

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
Above inflation price increases may have something to do with the dip in attendance, especially as wage increases seem to be static or well below inflation.

T

Tyhee_Slim

IJN":1mh89qsw said:
Perhaps it is Slim but I still don't get the psyche of people singing 'I'm Argyle 'til I die' when they really mean 'I'm Argyle 'til we're sh1te again'.

As for the disposable income argument, it's possibly a third of what most youngies spend on a Friday night now, so I'm not sure if that is true, but I know it's often used by people who perhaps want to deflect their fickleness (if there is such a word).

Can't argue about the utter garbage on the pitch for a few years, many of the games were totally dire, but again a club is for life not just for Christmas.

Saying that, if I lived any distance from Plymouth, I doubt whether I'd have bothered watching some of those home game when we lost game after game to some not very good opposition.

I remember watching Burton pigging Albion bore us to a 1-0 defeat and then saw that they went up to 6th position in doing so.

Still the embers are there now, I get excited about my team chances now, rather than pray to the football Gods for help, so let's hope that more and more come back, and then we will a sort of self fulfilling prophecy again.

It's tricky though. I know what you mean about what kids will spend on a night out but perhaps that's their lot for the week and they will weigh up whether they want a quiet night out and a (probably) crap Saturday afternoon, or a full-on night out.

Also, as I said, this is not just about the last couple of seasons, more a steady decline during which time the club has done little or nothing to inspire the new generation of supporters that every club needs. Trust needs to be regained and I don't envy the club that task.

I've got to fess up to hardly having been to a game for about three seasons now having got out of the habit and for other reasons. Right now I have a serious health problem which prevents me going ( won't even make the Mansfield game on my doorstep) but I still consider myself an Argyle fan as it still matters. If I lived down there and was in better health I'd be a season ticket holder and would actively contribute to things like the AFT or whatever.

But, having said all that, I still feel a bit alienated by things that have gone on at HP over the last few years and I know I'm not alone in that so I think that the club still has a fair bit of bridge building to do. What with that and the legendary fickleness (I'm not sure either, but hey!!) of the great Janner unwashed I actually dont think the crowds are too bad. Compare them with the darker days of the McCauley era for starters, and I think that, football wise and in terms of hope, we were actually in a better position then than now, by which I mean we didn't really feel like an 'established' fourth tier team the way we have of late, and we never seriously flirted with relegation yo the Conference.

I'm quietly enthusiastic about our prospects now, which is great after all the rubbish of recent seasons, although I'm struggling, if im honest, to ever imagine supporting Argyle being as exciting as the two championship seasons and that all too brief period when it looked as though we may finally get there. Still, that's Argyle innit, we knew what we were signing up for, so I'm grateful right now to just have a club left to support, despite the feeling that the one chance we really had to hit the big time was not only wasted but not even seriously attempted. That, I'm afraid, is a major factor in why the club has never been supported in the numbers it could have been and which makes those glimpses we've had at what might have been, the occasional big crowd, the (dare I use the word) potential all the more frustrating, especially when you look at what's been achieved at clubs like Southampton and Norwich. Never mind 'the likes of' Hull and Swansea, those are the ones who grasped the chance to become 'big' when they had it and they've never looked back. That is what I believe we could have been, but sadly never will, and while the club never displays the kind of confidence - arrogance even - that these do, things like assuring the fanbase that they'll be back when they fall on leaner times, it will alwsys be the same. The club has, in my opinion, pretty much the level of support it deserves.

Feb 21, 2011
Here we go again. I find it depressing to hear yet again the moans and groans about the numbers that attend Home Park. I find it equally comical (and a bit sad) when I read comments like "glory hunter" and "plastics" when gates go up after a run of success.

Make up your minds - do those moaning want extra people through the turnstiles or not? Accept the fact that every club has a hard core of support that will turn up every (other) week and accept the fact that there are people that pick and choose when to go to a game - and that choice is mainly about whether you think you will actually enjoy the game when you do attend.

I and my family are good examples. Me, my wife and my youngest son are all football nuts. We have various allegiances, including Argyle. We are not however die-hard Argyle supporters and never will be (we moved to the area 19 years ago) but we do like going to live matches now and again. So if we judge that Argyle are on the up and might be playing some entertaining football (generally that means winning, or in some peoples' vocab "glory hunting") then so be it, we may go to watch. Shock horrorā€¦..we also watch football on Sky and (spit) occasionally attend premiership matches of those other teams that we support. Sorry about that.

Last season I think I went to Argyle three times and each game was dreadful, hence just the three games. However in previous years I've been to numerous games a season and - yes we were the ultimate glory hunters back in 2002/3 or whatever season it was when we got into tier 2 under Sturrock/Bobby W ā€“ me and my wife bought season tickets. Sorry about that too. This season I bought a white membership as I thought even if it is poor again between us me and the wife will go six times.

I went to my first Argyle game this season last Sat. I took my father (again not an Argyle fan but another football nut and was staying with us for the w/e) and my youngest son. We all really enjoyed it and you know what? Next time my father visits us and there is a home game on we will probably go again.

Senior figures connected to Argyle need to be careful with their language regarding the levels of support as they will just put casual fans/plastics/glory hunters (delete depending on your level of parochialness/pig-headedness/arrogance) off by insulting the very people they should be trying to attract. Accept that football support has changed. The numbers that go to every game, regardless of the fare dished up are dwindling, particularly outside the top tier. You need to court those people that may only go now and again, not insult them.

Rant over - back to lurking mode.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
All fair points EIE, but like you I am allowed an opinion.

I don't undertand those that turn their back when the going gets tough, it's as simple as that.

Not an insult, nor is the tag 'Glory Hunters' it's just a way of explaining my thoughts on people that bugger off when we're crap and then come back again when we're better.

Nothing to do with being parochial, it's just me saying that I am bemused by such folk.

As for 'plastics' that's an ever bigger bone of contention but not for here perhaps, but how any Janner can walk around calling Man City 'we' and 'us' as I witnessed last week is totally any 'arrogance' or 'pig headedness' on my part, it's simply 'not right' it's as daft as people buying scarves that were half red for Arsenal and half green for Argyle. Things like that simply should not exist, but I know they do.

I'm sure the club and the marketing people and the Accountants will love it when the people come flocking back to Home Park, I'll be there, as always (because I'm a pig headed, parochial and arrogant sod) shouting 'They play in green'. It's what I've always done.

If that upsets some of the Glory Hunters, I don't care, I don't care because to me they are jumping back on a bandwagon that 6,500 - 7,000 have remained LOYAL to. Now there's a word that covers it in my opinion. :scarf:

I once had a 1000 badges made which said 'I was here when we were sh*t' - I sold out in about 4 weeks. :greensmile: