Royal Marines Band | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Royal Marines Band

Feb 27, 2011
United Kingdom
The In Remembrance story on the Website quotes the first ever visit of the Royal Marines Band, I have a memory of watching them before games in the 60s and 70s, one of the games was England 12 -0 over Ireland in I think 1966/67 when they paraded the world cup.

I hope some senior members of Pasoti can back me up on this, I don't think I am going crazy.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Definitely not their first ever appearance at Home Park. I can't be specific, but like you, I'm sure I remember seeing them marching on the pitch in their distinctive white helmets during the era you mention.

Edit: Having read the article again it says Band of HM Royal Marines Plymouth - perhaps the ones we remember weren't the PLYMOUTH RM Band?

Nov 2, 2004
Thought in the 60s and possibly the 70s we had a band before every game,not sure if it was the Marines.

Jan 26, 2009
Tamerton Foliot
Yes, back in the 1950's & 1960's there was always a brass band playing on the pitch before the match and again at half time. It seemed to be a different band each time.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
mercedes":18p87wp9 said:
Yes, back in the 1950's & 1960's there was always a brass band playing on the pitch before the match and again at half time. It seemed to be a different band each time.

Generally from mid-Cornwall, if memory serves me correctly. :think:

O

ogwellmike

As a member of a Royal Marine family (grandfather, father and brother were all in the Corps) I am absolutely sure that I remember watching Royal Marine Bands before the match and at half time at Home Park many times over the years. In fact I would go further and say that they were regulars in my early years (I was first taken to a game by my father and uncle in, I think, 1946).

My father was so proud of having been a Royal Marine that, as they marched on and struck up "A Life on the Ocean Wave" he would always comment on how the Royal Marines had the best bands and were better at marching and drilling than any other British military unit - especially the Guards.

On the other hand I can't be absolutely sure which Royal Marine Bands came. Every RM base such as Plymouth, Portsmouth and Deal, had its own band and every naval ship visiting Plymouth would have been able to provide a band too - and sometimes bands amalgamated. But I can't believe that in our long history as a club we have never before had a visit from the band just down the road at Stonehouse Barracks - HM Royal Marines, Plymouth. If it was true it would be a disgrace!

My memory is that, as time went by, visits by military bands became fewer and fewer and their place was taken by local brass bands. I seem to remember that the Lostwithiel Silver Band came regularly. My Dad wasn't quite so impressed by them!

Apr 22, 2013
I think (but not entirely sure) that there are now only two Band's of Her Majesty's Royal Marines (Portsmouth and Plymouth) so by definition it is much more difficult to book them - especially for what is in essence a private function. So I think it is fair to say it is the first time they have performed here in the modern era.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
At one time the local band was MGRM Commando Forces, then there was MGRM Training Group, Deal, Commando Training Centre RM, I think in all there were at least seven bands but my memory is not what it was, I am prepared to be corrected.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
I thought it was the Royal Marines Band that played at the Argyle v Spurs FA Cup game in 1962, but reading John Lloyds book of classic matches i see it was The band of the Devonshire and Dorset Regiment.

Feb 23, 2006
I have a feeling the Pipes and band of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders played at Home park a good few times in late 60s early 70s.They were stationed at the now demolished Seaton Barracks about where the Future Inn stands today.

L

lambanog

justanotherfan":2bbfnc24 said:
At one time the local band was MGRM Commando Forces, then there was MGRM Training Group, Deal, Commando Training Centre RM, I think in all there were at least seven bands but my memory is not what it was, I am prepared to be corrected.

I think you are right, there is also a RM Band Scotland.

If you watch a video of the massed bands of the RM I think you will find there are seven Drum Majors (??) leading the band