First seen at Home Park with Johnny Newman | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

First seen at Home Park with Johnny Newman

T

Tyhee_Slim

Think it was Newman and Mike Trebilcock who did it.

Anyway, the one in this ckip should have been retaken as the eventual scorer encroached within ten yards before the kick was taken

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
It was first done at Home Park by Wilf Carter and Johnny Newman in a Football League Cup tie against Aston Villa on 6 Feb 1961. During an extensive interview at his home John told me that he picked the idea up playing in testimonial/friendly games in the late 50s. There were a lot of those matches at that time because clubs were keen to use their new floodlights. He says that the first person he saw do it was Peter Doherty who was a big star and in demand for those kind of matches. In the match against Villa Wilf reckoned that their goalkeeper Nigel Sim was "reading him" so Newman suggested they try this trick.

May 31, 2010
Plymouth
This Friday will be the 50th anniversary of this 'gimmick' being repeated when Argyle beat Manchester City 3-2 at Home Park (21st November 1964), a win which put Argyle 3rd in Division 2.
In the 73rd minute Lord was fouled and Newman took the kick, rolling the ball forward for Trebilcock to run in and score.
City manager George Poyser didn't mind the penalty trick but was very critical of Malcolm Allison's team playing away, scoring a goal and then 'shutting up shop'. Strangely Argyle only kept 6 clean sheets that season yet even travelling Argyle fans were not approving of Argyle tactics.
After this win Argyle went 9 league games without a win and slumped to 15th from 3rd by end of season.
I have the original 'Football Herald' in front of me as this match forms my centre page spread for the PASC magazine (Forever Green) I am preparing to print next week.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
I was there as well, in the Devonport end, Newman nearly screwed it up by kicking the ball so far forward and Trebilcock was late running in, goalie nearly saved it.

Yep 50 years where does the time go.

Thanks Steve and GOS for the memory.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
pilgrimB173":acltujx8 said:
This Friday will be the 50th anniversary of this 'gimmick' being repeated when Argyle beat Manchester City 3-2 at Home Park (21st November 1964), a win which put Argyle 3rd in Division 2.
In the 73rd minute Lord was fouled and Newman took the kick, rolling the ball forward for Trebilcock to run in and score.
City manager George Poyser didn't mind the penalty trick but was very critical of Malcolm Allison's team playing away, scoring a goal and then 'shutting up shop'. Strangely Argyle only kept 6 clean sheets that season yet even travelling Argyle fans were not approving of Argyle tactics.
After this win Argyle went 9 league games without a win and slumped to 15th from 3rd by end of season.
I have the original 'Football Herald' in front of me as this match forms my centre page spread for the PASC magazine (Forever Green) I am preparing to print next week.
When I was kid I used to stand in a different place for each game and on that particular day I just happened to be standing on the little bit of terracing in front of the Tea Bar that used to be at the Barn Park end of the Grandstand, so I had a perfect side-on view as the goal was scored at that end.

Back in those days, there was terracing right along under the overhang of the Grandstand and it was higher than Mayflower Terrace, as it later became, so you got a good view.

I think the Man City keeper was a guy called Alan Ogley but I could be wrong.

Good to see that people remember the old Football Herald. I used to run down to our local paper shop at half-past six on a Saturday evening to get it but sometimes you had to wait until the Herald van delivered them.

The front page was mainly a big report on Argyle's game, home or away, including photos as well as the other results and League Tables. Late results were printed in the stop press column on the right.

Inside would be all the scores from the P & D and Plymouth Combination Leagues and there would be 1st half only match reports from the Premier League games featuring the likes of Woodlands, Beacon Spurs and many other teams who no longer exist.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
demportdave":35e3q7te said:
pilgrimB173":35e3q7te said:
When I was kid I used to stand in a different place for each game and on that particular day I just happened to be standing on the little bit of terracing in front of the Tea Bar that used to be at the Barn Park end of the Grandstand, so I had a perfect side-on view as the goal was scored at that end.

Back in those days, there was terracing right along under the overhang of the Grandstand and it was higher than Mayflower Terrace, as it later became, so you got a good view.

I think the Man City keeper was a guy called Alan Ogley but I could be wrong.

Good to see that people remember the old Football Herald. I used to run down to our local paper shop at half-past six on a Saturday evening to get it but sometimes you had to wait until the Herald van delivered them.

The front page was mainly a big report on Argyle's game, home or away, including photos as well as the other results and League Tables. Late results were printed in the stop press column on the right.

Inside would be all the scores from the P & D and Plymouth Combination Leagues and there would be 1st half only match reports from the Premier League games featuring the likes of Woodlands, Beacon Spurs and many other teams who no longer exist.
Plus on page 3 a wonderful summary from "Pilgrim" charting Home Park events for the preceding week. Everything was there from where the manager had been during the week to the latest amateur signed for the SWL side.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Those were the days how I miss the football herald, had to read it before going out on the beer,within a couple of hours a full Argyle report plus write ups on local games mostly done handraulic now with the latest digital technology we have to wait the next day.

Bring back the good old days.

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
I too was at that game,standing near the player's tunnel.When the ball went in,and the crowd went mental,Allison got out of the dugout,turned to face the crowd with his arms outstretched,and with a big smile on his face,gleefully took in the cheers and applause.It was something that I had never seen before.Happy days!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
rongreenblood":f6dhwb8i said:
I too was at that game,standing near the player's tunnel.When the ball went in,and the crowd went mental,Allison got out of the dugout,turned to face the crowd with his arms outstretched,and with a big smile on his face,gleefully took in the cheers and applause.It was something that I had never seen before.Happy days!
You have surprised me by saying "It was something that I had never seen before". My recollections are that Malcolm Allison was always milking the applause.