Argyle working with schools in Devon and Cornwall | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Argyle working with schools in Devon and Cornwall

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Agree Graham, Marl Lovell does an amazing job along with his staff.

Very proud of our club in some areas.

Apr 4, 2004
Fantastic work. No doubt it will pay off and some talented youngsters will be identified. Not only that but it will raise the clubs image with the youngsters which can never hurt.

Schools however are awful organizations that will do absolutely nothing to help and support talented young players. Sore subject I'm afraid for me. If you are good at maths science you can get all the help and support you want from them. If a lad is exceptional at football they don't want to know. Grr

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
ming the merciless":1hg3y505 said:
Not only that but it will raise the clubs image with the youngsters which can never hurt.

That is a very important point. Converting the young kids to be an Argyle supporter rather than Manure or Chelski has to be very near to the top of our agenda. Getting out players into the community giving out tickets to school kids to get them into HP is a future life line for the club.

Every empty seat in the family block on a match day is a wasted opportunity.

P

Paul_Roberts

ming the merciless":20gn083q said:
Fantastic work. No doubt it will pay off and some talented youngsters will be identified. Not only that but it will raise the clubs image with the youngsters which can never hurt.

Schools however are awful organizations that will do absolutely nothing to help and support talented young players. Sore subject I'm afraid for me. If you are good at maths science you can get all the help and support you want from them. If a lad is exceptional at football they don't want to know. Grr

Just throwing this out there, but is it the job of a school to produce footballers? Schools get judged on grades, and as far as I'm aware, PE isn't graded (or at least it wasn't when I was at school). There are exceptions to the rule, such as Reuben's former school, for instance, where the opposite happens and you don't get anywhere unless you're exceptional at sport, but there aren't too many of those around.

As a parent, I'd be a bit concerned if my son's school was prioritising sport over English and Maths or whatever. I take him to football coaching on Saturdays, but during the week he goes to school to develop his mind, not his stepovers.

Edited to add: Just in case anyone misinterprets what I've said, I do think that sport is a hugely important part of the curriculum, and good on Argyle for getting involved. I just don't want to see our schools copy the American model, where talented sportsmen can pretty much breeze through school knowing that they'll end up with a sports scholarship to a university.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Here in Newquay, the Junior School, which incidentally is the biggest in Cornwall, offers football to the pupils as an after-school club between 1500 and 1600hrs. I think the Head is to be applauded together with the teachers in this as it does not compromise the schools ability to hit Key Stage Targets. Sadly, when I collect our grandson at the school gate the number of replica shirts from Premiership clubs worn by the boys, outnumber those of Argyle by about 12 to 1. Perhaps one day Argyle's Community guys might show up sat the school.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
To really have an impact i think it would be great if tge players invested some time and went to the scholl occaisionally as well. Having a genuine professional footballer teach a session would be great for the kids.

They may already do this - i have no idea.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Womble":2jmybppw said:
To really have an impact i think it would be great if tge players invested some time and went to the scholl occaisionally as well. Having a genuine professional footballer teach a session would be great for the kids.

This was how it was when I was at school. We had Mr Birchenall and Mr Kember on the teaching staff. Not just now and again, they were there three afternoons a week whilst their other jobs were playing for Palace and Chelsea in the old First Division. I can't see the likes of Mr Rooney & co or even those at League Two level, getting involved to that extent these days.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Lundan Cabbie":3g4192io said:
Womble":3g4192io said:

This was how it was when I was at school. We had Mr Birchenall and Mr Kember on the teaching staff. Not just now and again, they were there three afternoons a week whilst their other jobs were playing for Palace and Chelsea in the old First Division. I can't see the likes of Mr Rooney & co or even those at League Two level, getting involved to that extent these days.

I take it the school was situated next to a local? ;-)

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
To really have an impact i think it would be great if the players invested some time and went to the scholl occaisionally as well

I totally agree Womble, i have been working/volunteering for the Ottawa Fury this past year who play in the North American Soccer League NASL.
This was the first year for the Fury in the NASL who averaged 5536 att with the biggest crowd being 14595 a NASL record

One of the first things they did was set up a soccer in the schools program http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/page/slug/s ... G3_88m9bgo which consisted of players and mascot visiting area schools, signing autographs, giving away tickets, souvenirs and coaching sessions, below is a visit to one of the schools.
http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/video/id/91 ... G4ATMm9bgo

The next thing they did was visit local soccer teams and having coaching sessions with these clubs, they also set up a section in the stadium where schools clubs could buy tickets at reduced rates and then after the game come on the field and meet the players and get autographs.

That is the way it should be done

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Ivybridge Community College seem very switched on to sport (I live in Ivybridge and my Daughters will be going there), I believe Luke Young and Matt Lecointe were products of ICC. I often see PAFC reps down there teaching the kids footie--great to see.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Emu":2w7uikk1 said:
Lundan Cabbie":2w7uikk1 said:
Womble":2w7uikk1 said:

I take it the school was situated next to a local? ;-)

I must have been away far too long :)