Come on Luton, Exeter and Cheltenham!! | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Come on Luton, Exeter and Cheltenham!!

O

ogwellmike

Next Saturday could see us climbing even higher in the league. Assuming we beat Mansfield (a reasonable assumption IMO) and Luton beat Burton (another reasonable assumption) then we move above Burton and up to 4th.

If, Cheltenham also beat Wycombe (less likely but could happen) we would be 3rd. Alternatively, if Exeter beat Shrewsbury and the Shrews' goal difference drops below ours (even less likely perhaps but Exeter are having a good run at the moment and I'm sure they would love to do us a favour!) we reach 3rd.

Of course, if both Cheltenham and Exeter win we would be up to 2nd (dependent on goal difference).

Then again, perhaps my optimism is misplaced and everything will go pear-shaped. After all, this is Argyle we're talking about. Please somebody reassure me!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Michael, can we not wish that Shrewsbury lose? It sounds so much better than the way you've worded it.

O

ogwellmike

Sam Barker wrote:
Focus on ourselves and see where the three points, if we get them, leave us on Saturday evening.

Sam, don't be boring! I know all that stuff but let me enjoy being optimistic for a change!

Apr 8, 2014
There is plenty of time to hunt down those top 3 places, unless it came down to exeter having to win to keep us in the football league I will never be glad to see them get 3 points

P

pafcstafford

I want to aim at winning the league so i hope Luton don't win.

Jul 29, 2010
ogwellmike":37ibx3rz said:
Sam Barker wrote:
Focus on ourselves and see where the three points, if we get them, leave us on Saturday evening.

Sam, don't be boring! I know all that stuff but let me enjoy being optimistic for a change!

One man's "boring" is another's 'sensible' ;-)

'Our' achilles heel is getting ahead of ourselves and the second we start looking to results we have absolutely no ability to influence, we're doing just that.

If Argyle win every game then (given we have to play them, and they have to play each other) we'll go up. Focus only needs to be on us therefore, our destiny is, as it should be, entirely in our own hands. So why look for, or rely on, favours elsewhere?

Aug 29, 2014
shortbred":gy8vyyd4 said:
There is plenty of time to hunt down those top 3 places, unless it came down to exeter having to win to keep us in the football league I will never be glad to see them get 3 points

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

O

ogwellmike

X Isle wrote:
'Our' achilles heel is getting ahead of ourselves and the second we start looking to results we have absolutely no ability to influence, we're doing just that.
If Argyle win every game then (given we have to play them, and they have to play each other) we'll go up. Focus only needs to be on us therefore, our destiny is, as it should be, entirely in our own hands. So why look for, or rely on, favours elsewhere?

That's even more boring than Sam! Don't be so pompous and pedantic about a piece of frivolous optimism. It's not meant to be a scholarly or a statistical analysis. It's just a bit of fun innit?

As Argyle supporters, we haven't had much of that recently - have we?

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
rawleyboy":1d1wllgr said:
shortbred":1d1wllgr said:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Completely agree. It would be a cold day in hell before I would wish for an Exeter win. We'll catch the other teams without their help.

Jul 29, 2010
ogwellmike":277snmev said:
X Isle wrote:

That's even more boring than Sam! Don't be so pompous and pedantic about a piece of frivolous optimism. It's not meant to be a scholarly or a statistical analysis. It's just a bit of fun innit?

As Argyle supporters, we haven't had much of that recently - have we?

I'm happy to be boring, boring = sensible, boring = feet firmly on the ground, boring = not setting oneself up for disappointment.

Should "if's, but's & maybe's" float your boat then have all the fun you like mate, just don't expect others to invest time in, or get carried away with themselves, pondering over clubs who owe Argyle nothing getting results over other clubs who owe nothing to Argyle.

Argyle just need to keep their own house in order, concentrate on their own business. Boring/sensible fans will do the same.

O

ogwellmike

Xisle wrote:

I'm happy to be boring
- we've noticed!

boring = sensible
- not true!

Sensible doesn't have to involve making statements of the blindingly obvious. Sensible doesn't have to be so literal. And sensible doesn't have to involve taking yourself so seriously that you don't recognise humour.

Lighten up and stop trying to stop others having a bit of light-hearted fun!