Paul Wotton | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Paul Wotton

P

Piran-Pilgrim

I assume we have probably seen the last of his playing days and more to his coaching abilities ( of which has been a success), was wondering how long ago was a testimonial for Wottsy and if a game could be arranged, now am not suicidal but like the Corporate cup think a team could be put forward of 11 plus subs to play against a wottsy chosen 11 plus subs, money for entry to go to club for academy.

Aug 17, 2011
i think this is a great idea, Wotton has been a true legend for this club and he should be recognized for his contribution to the club

P

Paul_Roberts

football-bet-data":gg5mwtl8 said:
He had a testimonial in 2005

So in about six weeks time he'll be due another (even though he obviously didn't spend all of the past decade with us).

I don't think anyone would deny him a second testimonial, but if I remember rightly, the turn-out for his first one wasn't that impressive. That probably had something to do with the opposition, but when do we ever get big clubs down for friendlies any more?

I've seen Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Villa and others at HP during the close season, but since they realised there was far more worth in sending their squads to Asia, the USA and other lucrative locations, we don't get a look in.

pilgrimmike1

R.I.P
Oct 5, 2010
oggieland
Paul_Roberts":2f2kaf7f said:
football-bet-data":2f2kaf7f said:
He had a testimonial in 2005

So in about six weeks time he'll be due another (even though he obviously didn't spend all of the past decade with us).

I don't think anyone would deny him a second testimonial, but if I remember rightly, the turn-out for his first one wasn't that impressive. That probably had something to do with the opposition, but when do we ever get big clubs down for friendlies any more?

I've seen Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Villa and others at HP during the close season, but since they realised there was far more worth in sending their squads to Asia, the USA and other lucrative locations, we don't get a look in.

You are right Paul, I went to the match and allthough I can't recall the attendance I do remember feeling disappointed for him because he is perceived to be a legend and Mr Green to which I agree 100% with, so where were the green army for him? He deserves another no doubt. :thumbs:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Twas against Anderlecht, on a Tuesday or Wednesday night from memory.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
In his 446 games PW averaged a goal every 7.8 appearances for Argyle - that's some record for a primarily defensive player.

To put it in context we currently get the pleasure of a Marvin Morgan 5 yard thunderbolt once every 11 appearances.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Perhaps they'll let him make a cameo appearance on his anniversary with a few minutes to go. That would be a nice touch.

Imagine a free kick anywhere near the box after he comes on?

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
IJN":3aimk06h said:
Perhaps they'll let him make a cameo appearance on his anniversary with a few minutes to go. That would be a nice touch.

WOW Geddin. :scarf:

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
IJN":1fah4ktj said:

Just like when he first came back, every free kick was "Wotton territory".

Apr 1, 2009
I'll make myself unpopular and say I don't really "get" testimonials.

Take someone who has had a dream job for 10+ years. Then reward them by asking fans ( the vast majority of whom earn a fraction of what the player gets) to support it.

Nowadays of course most of the money raised goes to charity. However you are only going to get a big crowd if the opposition is a very big club AND if they play their best players. That's very rare, and can be expensive.

Above all I just get bored with friendlies. To me watching football should get the pulse racing, and the result needs to matter. It doesn't in friendlies.

Jan 27, 2012
Wotton was a funny player really. His general football skills were definately league one and two level. But his corner taking and free kick taking were quality and it made him very dangerous. Despite being less skillful than some of his team mates, he seemed to have the strength of character to keep upping his game. I thought the Championship would be too much for him, but he rose to the ocassion and for a couple of seasons he was one of the better players in that league I reckon. No mean feat.

Personally, I reckon he could still be a menace in league two with his corners and free kick taking. I assume his fitness would improve if he played a few reserve games. He is certainly a character on the pitch.