What is the manager on about now? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What is the manager on about now?

Oct 5, 2013
Well, does he want to sign someone else on loan or doesn't he?
He's said he doesn't really need anyone in any particular position, he's comfortable with what he's got, but that he might sign someone anyway so they can play some games!
I don't think this sort of confused message is good for team morale, give the lads a chance who've been on the bench all season or got the occasional ten minutes, otherwise it's like telling them they're not good enough.

G

Greenskin

fudge me, it only takes one defeat to start bringing 'em back. Unbelievable.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
philevs":10edmzxm said:
He's said he doesn't really need anyone in any particular position, he's comfortable with what he's got, but that he might sign someone anyway so they can play some games!
I don't think this sort of confused message is good for team morale, give the lads a chance who've been on the bench all season or got the occasional ten minutes, otherwise it's like telling them they're not good enough.

I haven't seen the comments you are referring to but maybe you are taking them too literally. If we are going to sign a loan player or two then we don't won't squad players to replace the bench warmers we want players who can improve the starting eleven. If a couple come in then I am sure it will see a couple go out on loan to balance the wage bill up a bit. It would certainly benefit the likes of Harvey.

Oct 5, 2013
We need to keep morale up, and to start scoring goals away from home. If the present squad is good enough, why do we need more in? Just shuffle in the ones who've had virtually no chance yet - Harvey, Banton, Smalley, Morgan...

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
philevs":2djixpwo said:

Maybe the younger players are not good enough just yet or just at the early stage in their career when constant games are too much for them? Harvey has been given opportunities but after his star showing against Exeter he has faded.

The loan signings have all come from teams playing in a higher league or from playing against development teams of a good standard.

Every loan signing this season has improved the team - Kellett, Bobby Reid and O'Connor - have all played well. Even Bray's short appearance looked promising.
Sheridan has a pretty good track record with loan signings, especially this season, when they sign we all say "who?" and a few weeks later we all want that particular player to extend his loan.

We also don't know what injuries some players are carrying, Sheridan is one of those managers who doesn't give updates on injured players. Have Morgan and Thomas fully recovered from their health issues? Do Cox, Mellor, Banton, Smalley, Hartley and Reid still have the niggly knocks suffered in recent weeks?
It's best to have cover and bring a player or two in now before the loan window closes when there's no chance of signing a player.

Aug 2, 2011
For Gods sake - any oportunity to get at the manager . You are a really sad person.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
I don't think we even need anyone, play Banton in an advanced midfield role like we did in his first spell then there's no reason why he can't score goals for us. Showed he can last time

Oct 5, 2013
PRESTO":10rii5g3 said:
For Gods sake - any oportunity to get at the manager . You are a really sad person.

I may be a really sad person, but I not at all getting at the manager.
Just would like to see a situation where morale is kept up, and he gets more goals out of the players he has, because he says he is perfectly comfortable with them, and doesn't need to bring in any more!
Can you see the point?

G

Greenskin

philevs":9a94p1t9 said:
PRESTO":9a94p1t9 said:

I may be a really sad person, but I not at all getting at the manager.
Just would like to see a situation where morale is kept up, and he gets more goals out of the players he has, because he says he is perfectly comfortable with them, and doesn't need to bring in any more!
Can you see the point?

Not really,no. There is a difference between being comfortable and entirely happy. I seem to remember this discussion took place awhile back and in the interim Bobby Reid was signed, who i'm sure you'll agree definiitely enhanced the playing staff. Managers are always on the look out to improve their squads-why should Sheridan be any different?

Oct 5, 2013
If the manager is right to be looking to sign one or two more, does this mean the current regulars on the bench are never going to get a chance to start a game, then, or get anything more than the odd 10 mins. to prove themselves?

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
What would you rather have, Phil: 2 or 3 loanees which would probably improve the quality of the squad and increase the chances of winning a game, or use the bench warmers and hope they step up to the plate?