Is Banton's future at Argyle? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Is Banton's future at Argyle?

C

Cobi Budge.

Is it at Argyle? Does he want it to be at Argyle? He's skating on very thin ice if he wants a career in the FL at all.

It's a shame he hasn't been able to recapture that form he showed during his first spell, he's been ineffective since returning, and that's coming up to a year now.

Even Sheridan shouted "don't be f*cking lazy" at him at one point in the game.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
25 games (20 starts) in his second spell and only the single goal. its a shame yesterday that so many players had to sacrifice their usual role and position yesterday to accommodate him and for large chunks of the game he was entirely ineffective. A couple of bright moments, but over the 80 minutes he did play he didn't really do enough. Certainly Tyler Harvey did just as much in the desperate 10 minutes he had at the end of the game as Banton did throughout the rest of the match.

On the otherhand, many would have (and did) write off Reuben Reid during a long baron spell for goals. Persistence by Sheridan was rewarded in that case. Though personally I'm unsure if we can afford to persist with Banton this season at the potential expense of our promotion fight.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
He needs a run/start of 5 games

C

Cobi Budge.

Tugboat":1a12izxw said:

I'm not sure we can risk that at such a crucial stage of the season.

It would also involve abandoning the 352, and if you didn't, you'd have to sacrifice Lewi or Bobby, which I wouldn't be willing to do for a player who's shown us next to nothing over the last year.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
In spite of one shout by Sheridan, I do think Banton's overall attitude has improved tenfold this season. What was the reason persistently given in September for playing Banton over Thomas? It was because Banton would track back more and give more aid to the defenders. I do think that Banton this season has certainly been a more committed player than before.

However, does that make him a more effective player than last season? Sadly not. There is still obviously an explosion of talent in there waiting to emerge but it seems to be lost in a tidal wave of negative vibes surrounding him. All confidence and swagger that he once had now seems lost. For the past few months, it's seemed to be permanently groundhog day for him at Argyle. When he did get a goal for us, it was at the meaningless end of a season. When he had a guilt edged chance to score, Smalley ruined it for him. When he came off the bench at Mansfield and played well, we somehow contrived to miss a 6 yard box chance set up by him. Yesterday he was involved in two decent chances (admittedly off target) but he also gave the ball away on the edge of the 18 yard box when he was in a great position to do something with it.

He may go on to come good but i don't think his story here will have a happen ending. It may be more likely to do so if we gave him a regular run of games but as has been said, can we afford to do that? I don't think we can for the reasons already stated. He's always an inch away from coming good but never quite gets there. Maybe he'll have to go down to go back up.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Tugboat":h6bwbtyu said:

He started the first 7 games of the season before missing Morecambe away, but returned for the next home game vs Wycombe. We won 3 of those matches, drew 2 and lost 3.

C

Cobi Budge.

I agree that Banton's tracking back has improved this season somewhat, but that doesn't excuse the fact he jumps out of any physical contact that comes his way, which constantly results in him cheaply losing the possession, that's the reason I wouldn't have him at CAM. Losing the ball wide is slightly less dangerous than losing it at CAM, therefore if he is to be played, which I don't think he should, it should only be at LM/RM.

C

Cobi Budge.

I don't see how you've quite calculated that.

Banton - 25 games (20 starts) and 1 goal.

Smalley - 10 games (3 starts) and 2 goals.

While Smalley has by no means set the world alight, he's looked more of a threat than Banton, at least he doesn't jump out of the way when he faces anything physical, not a glowing report but he get's himself involved, Banton doesn't.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Wow Smalley scored one penalty and 1 goal in the JPT. I feel much more confident of us creating something with Banton on the ball (even though he's gone stale) than Smalley.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Steve.PAFC2012":1fsu7s2f said:
Wow Smalley scored one penalty and 1 goal in the JPT. I feel much more confident of us creating something with Banton on the ball (even though he's gone stale) than Smalley.
This. Smalley scored a penalty that (whilst the team did well to earn it) would have been taken by someone else ordinarily. His JPT goal was a good strike but in terms of creativity on the ball I think Banton is much more likely to make something happen aside from scoring himself.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
GreenSam":3p5vnmlq said:
Steve.PAFC2012":3p5vnmlq said:
This. Smalley scored a penalty that (whilst the team did well to earn it) would have been taken by someone else ordinarily. His JPT goal was a good strike but in terms of creativity on the ball I think Banton is much more likely to make something happen aside from scoring himself.

I'll agree with this two. Neither really improve us as a promotion outfit though. They only highlight how lightweight the squad is.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
"On the otherhand, many would have (and did) write off Reuben Reid during a long baron spell for goals"

Now he is the Duke of Scoring! :scarf:
(except penalties :sad: )

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Cobi Budge.":3aacr1ke said:
While Smalley has by no means set the world alight, he's looked more of a threat than Banton, at least he doesn't jump out of the way when he faces anything physical, not a glowing report but he get's himself involved, Banton doesn't.
You're watching completely different games to me.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Cobi Budge.":39vbtyu3 said:
I don't see how you've quite calculated that.

Banton - 25 games (20 starts) and 1 goal.

Smalley - 10 games (3 starts) and 2 goals.

smallry wasn't even available yesterday cobi!what's up with him this time?