Grandstand/PCC

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
A statement but not much else.

Attempt to put pressure on PCC?

Anyone want to enlighten me on the strategy the Board is employing here?

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Very clearly putting pressure on PCC in my opinion.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Of course it is, why not?

If the Board care about our club, what are they to do, sit idly buy whilst the City Grandfathers screw us up?

The alternative 'bus station' is a farce. What is it, seven coaches rammed into Mayflower Street, just so British Land can be given the pearl in the crown?

I've now heard via a Pasoti'ite that Colin Campbell Court is or is about to be sold, so that's why that end isn't fit for the bus station then.

If I was a retailer/cinema owner/restauranter I'd pick Bretonside over HHP any day of the week, but why on earth have they those two options?

Seems as if our Landlord has screwed us over.

Let's just prey that they decide to give us our Grandstand, if they don't they have well and truly screwed us over.

If they don't, I reckon it's game on and a war will break out.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
It all makes complete sense and it would be a travesty if HHP was quashed for a new cinema complex in town

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
"Not much else?" I am not sure what more it could deliver. It seems to list all the pros and cons. I tend to give these documents a SWOT test - ie Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats. I think it has considered all elements, which is not always the case with statements from HP. It clearly shows that there is no clear strategic plan which embraces the entire city. The affect that Bretonside would have on Millbay is something I would not have thought of, but this statement now leads me to think they have a point. I know a number of people who took a punt on property in Millbay, based entirely on their hope of a decent return post the promised re-generation. Overall, to a layman like me is seems a well-considered statement.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
It would be interesting to hear more about this paragraph:

A leisure scheme at HHP – smaller than that which has already received planning permission but generating sufficient monies to fund the new grandstand – has received assurances of funding from one of the largest institutions in the UK.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
MM - what I meant was - I have always heard that our current owner has a lot of influence wih PCC. However, clearly the negotiations here have floundered (or worse) and this is very much a last throw of the dice.

IJN speaks of "war breaking out" - but the Board are saying surely that if Bretonside goes ahead our scheme is at an end. So, it's a spot of brinkmanship, but, what cards do PAFC hold if PCC goes with Bretonside? None that I can think of - we stay with our current antiquated facilities and unless we find alternative funding (at some point in the future), the club flounders in the lower Leagues with a Grandstand that at some point in the coming years will be unsafe for use.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
To some extent this seems like a last attempt to save some credibility. Was the HHP scheme ever going to happen even before the British Land scheme was first mooted? JB was having clear problems trying to sell the units and finance what was an unattractive scheme all round. Along came British Land, a developer with a proven track record of delivering projects regularly and on time without having to borrow and use other peoples' money to finance their schemes. Just maybe the council themselves have come to the end of their tether with Mr Brent. As an outsider and very much a layman knowing nothing about the inner workings of such things maybe they have seen the lack of delivery from Mr Brent, even the lack of making a start on other projects and thought enough is enough. Let's not forget the council too played a huge part in saving the club whilst it was in administration and again recently facilitated payment of a large chunk of the balloon payment with another loan. Mr Brent drives a very hard bargain with everyone and is a master of brinkmanship as we have seen with the creditors as he is entitled to as a business man and maybe he is still trying to squeeze even more from the council now in his negotiations and they feel enough is enough. I don't know the answers and I am merely hazarding some sort of guess as an onlooker from some distance. I would not be surprised to see Mr Brent look for some sort of exit strategy now to be honest in the form of a buyer for the club.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
IJN":3s8idwbc said:
Of course it is, why not?

If the Board care about our club, what are they to do, sit idly buy whilst the City Grandfathers screw us up?

The alternative 'bus station' is a farce. What is it, seven coaches rammed into Mayflower Street, just so British Land can be given the pearl in the crown?

I've now heard via a Pasoti'ite that Colin Campbell Court is or is about to be sold, so that's why that end isn't fit for the bus station then.

If I was a retailer/cinema owner/restauranter I'd pick Bretonside over HHP any day of the week, but why on earth have they those two options?

Seems as if our Landlord has screwed us over.

Let's just prey that they decide to give us our Grandstand, if they don't they have well and truly screwed us over.

If they don't, I reckon it's game on and a war will break out.

Ian, that's pretty emotive words when to date we have only heard one side of the story.

G

Greenskin

jerryatricjanner":3h50k57q said:
To some extent this seems like a last attempt to save some credibility. Was the HHP scheme ever going to happen even before the British Land scheme was first mooted? JB was having clear problems trying to sell the units and finance what was an unattractive scheme all round. Along came British Land, a developer with a proven track record of delivering projects regularly and on time without having to borrow and use other peoples' money to finance their schemes. Just maybe the council themselves have come to the end of their tether with Mr Brent. As an outsider and very much a layman knowing nothing about the inner workings of such things maybe they have seen the lack of delivery from Mr Brent, even the lack of making a start on other projects and thought enough is enough. Let's not forget the council too played a huge part in saving the club whilst it was in administration and again recently facilitated payment of a large chunk of the balloon payment with another loan. Mr Brent drives a very hard bargain with everyone and is a master of brinkmanship as we have seen with the creditors as he is entitled to as a business man and maybe he is still trying to squeeze even more from the council now in his negotiations and they feel enough is enough. I don't know the answers and I am merely hazarding some sort of guess as an onlooker from some distance. I would not be surprised to see Mr Brent look for some sort of exit strategy now to be honest in the form of a buyer for the club.

This.In spades.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Perhaps Jerry, there was wind of the 'other' development already out there.

I remember hearing how many had signed up, and then there was a 'hang on, what's happening here' type thing.

As for an 'exit strategy' I wouldn't blame him. He came in saying their was a symbiotic reason, and now it seems as if the council may have well and truly stitched him up.

Whilst JB was banging on about the HHP development, sustainable revenue etc, perhaps other council officers were meeting with British Land.

I'd be looking for the exit door and no mistake.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
jerryatricjanner":2ar3c5nz said:
Ian, that's pretty emotive words when to date we have only heard one side of the story.

Emotive????

I get like that when PAFC is at risk.