Argyle's average revenue per ticket is less than £11 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Argyle's average revenue per ticket is less than £11

Oct 24, 2010
The figure significantly increases when catering, programme sales and club shop sales etc are taken into account. I seem to recall James Brent once quoting a figure of £20 per head.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I would have thought that the vast majority of people attending Home Park for a match do so without ever spending anything on catering, programmes and in the club shop.

Oct 24, 2010
The Doctor":2jtwyfto said:
I would have thought that the vast majority of people attending Home Park for a match do so without ever spending anything on catering, programmes and in the club shop.
The club shop always seems busy on match days as do the catering outlets, I don't suppose programme sales are that great though. I admit I was a bit surprised at the quoted figure, maybe it included VAT.

Aug 10, 2006
the idea is to get more support why charge 2 pound extra on the day, mind you it could be worse leeds charge 5 pound extra on the day making it 41 pound for away fans.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
esmer":1pz48whw said:
The figure significantly increases when catering, programme sales and club shop sales etc are taken into account. I seem to recall James Brent once quoting a figure of £20 per head.
I was under the impression (maybe falsely) that all the catering outlets (kiosks) were contracted out, with, I assume, Argyle receiving a flat rate off the contractor.

M

MikeN

Then they'd get £9.17/head.

(Okay, okay, I'll stop being a pedant - I know you probably meant £11+VAT :p)

I was intrigued by Bradford City's strategy when in this division of charging half the normal ticket price, and gaining at least double the average crowd for Div. 2.

Whilst it may have been revenue neutral at the gate, they must have benefitted hugely from catering and shop sales, whilst creating crowd sizes which must have helped promotion.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
mervyn":2fbgfd4t said:
I was intrigued by Bradford City's strategy when in this division of charging half the normal ticket price, and gaining at least double the average crowd for Div. 2.

Whilst it may have been revenue neutral at the gate, they must have benefitted hugely from catering and shop sales, whilst creating crowd sizes which must have helped promotion.

Me too. But, I think you would have to be very brave to try this out (Bradford were a bit desperate at the time I think) and it would be very difficult to know the level to pitch the price at. We have seen previously that reductions for individual games don't necessarily result in a boost in crowd (although there could be all kinds of contributing factors such as schemes only being tried for less attractive games). It is quite easy to imagine that dropping the cost of a ticket by 50% would not result in a doubling of attendances (or pro rata for different reductions).

If I was going to try something like this I would tie it to season ticket sales and thereby create an incentive for existing season ticket holders to persuade others to join them (so creating a massive 'sales force' of existing customers who would benefit if they persuaded others to also become customers). The price of a season ticket could be set so that there was a maximum cost that then reduced when total sales passed various thresholds. For example, say the 'normal' cost was £400 per season with 4000 being sold now. That price could be dropped to, say £350 if 6000 were sold and £300 if 8000 were sold etc. (note that these figures are just plucked from thin air to illustrate the idea and haven't been thought through in detail). I would arrange things so that the discount was not applied automatically, but rather was available by request (via a simple process) because I think that way you would find a surprising number of people would decide not to claim the discount but, rather, to 'donate' it to the club.

The idea is to increase the revenue whilst also increasing the financially-committed (at the outset of the season) customer base.

[Just checking my example figures a bit...

4000 @ £400 = £1,600,000 = £800,000 per 2000 sales
6000 @ £350 = £2,100,000 = £700,000 per 2000 sales or £500,000 per last 2000 additional sales
8000 @ £300 = £2,400,000 = £600,000 per 2000 sales or £300,000 per last 2000 additional sales
]

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
So you charge "£20 a ticket yet you get less than £11 revenue....c'mon pull the other one Starnes.... even if every ticket was sold at the concession price of £15 after VAT =£12-50 per ticket that still much more than £11..maybe a few facts at how you arrive at your figure...

Jan 29, 2010
plymouth
The figure of £11 per head might go up a bit if the club stopped giving free tickets to the army of hangers on that attend every week whilst contributing nothing to the club. No more free tickets for anybody.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
oddball":3l5fageh said:
So you charge "£20 a ticket yet you get less than £11 revenue....c'mon pull the other one Starnes.... even if every ticket was sold at the concession price of £15 after VAT =£12-50 per ticket that still much more than £11..maybe a few facts at how you arrive at your figure...

I believe there's anumber of people who get free tickets - I also believe you are someone who may be well aware of that in the past.

Kid for a quid games, child rates, season tickets etc, etc, etc

Starnes isn't my cup of tea but he's probably right. By the way the equivelant Yeovil figure is £12.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Cobblers....even when Todd was here and there were freebies given out left right and centre the average take was £15 a ticket....now its suddenly dropped to less than £11 a ticket despite the fact that even a concession is now £15.the figures dont add up....perhaps the herald/aft/etc could ask starnes for his working papers to substantiate his claim...