Can loan players win us promotion or will sense prevail ? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Can loan players win us promotion or will sense prevail ?

Aug 13, 2011
We have to ask now 'are loan players going to win us promotion or do we need to buy in good players to do that'. Simple question but that is key. We cannot afford to languish in this lowly league for any longer now. We should be operating at at least Division 1 level as our clubs history portends. Never since the 1990s had we in fact ever been in the bottom division of four so why should we tolerate that demise indefinitely.

It's already clear that Bobby Reid is a major factor in our recent run of good league form. Also that Kellett is obviously operating below his abiilty zone perfectly exhibited by a marvellous solo goal on Saturday from him and a commanding performance by Bobby. But can the team still gain promotion come what may, or come next May, more to the point..........if the likes of these two return to their clubs for the run- in

Last season we had a great spell around the turn of the year before the mesmeric Lavery returned to Sheffield Wednesday. Another good spell heralded the arrival of Matt Parsons with his enterprising wing play giving us the balance to hammer both Fleetwood & Morecambe inside a week. Then his injury and Alessandra's hamstring pull resulted in a goal drought of bone dry proportions and a feeble end to such a promising season ensued from there on in. A huge anti-climax !!

I think this is the question we need to be asking in January, and not to be hearing 'is Ruben for sale?' 'well only at a ridiculous price' as was intimated in the Herald ......but NO Ruben Reid isn't for sale (full stop!) but we are in fact looking to strengthen in the January window so who is for sale out there for us to buy in is our only concern! If I hear these noises coming from the boardroom at Home Park I will be confident last seasons damp squib won't repeat on us. Until then though, loanees alone give us only a tenuous prospect of success and very little hope of automatic promotion, the only safe stairway to Div 1. So I do hope sense does prevail in January and we buy in rather than leak out some key performers.

Apr 28, 2013
Think January is very important. Hopefully, Sheridan will realise how important Bobby and Kellett are to us and do something about it. Watford came pretty close to promotion to the premier league with a whole team loan players however I think our success will depend on managing to keep ours to the end of the season as well as replacing our very poor fringe players. When you see, Smalley, Morgan and Harvey come you don't really expect anything positive to happen and we need more impact off the bench.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
If loans make the squad stronger then it can only be a good thing although it can be risky when they can be recalled with 24 hours notice but as long as they bring added quality, it must be worthwhile.

Aug 13, 2011
Lundan Cabbie":2m4lpzr5 said:
If loans make the squad stronger then it can only be a good thing although it can be risky when they can be recalled with 24 hours notice but as long as they bring added quality, it must be worthwhile.

Worthwhile yes but the temporary nature of their involvement also brings with it the need to bed in good players around them who we have bought outright. I don't see players as good as them (Reid or Kellett) in our reserves or on the bench. The key for me is having a balance of good loaned players and good purchased players. It may cost a bit more (not mega bucks) but a commmitment in the short-term would certainly allow for huge long term profit & gain. I think this is the most important January for many a season. It has always been a misconception that over-spending put the club in jeopardy when in fact gross over-selling of players made us drop like a stone to the point we nearly lost us our league status. That's a fact. The club's popularity and with it turnstile profitabililty only suffered along that journey. Therefore it is important not to be reluctant to speculate to accumulate on the back of that debacle. The club with it's huge fan base would flourish once the league status picked up and that does require a studied financial commitment of some description. This January's activity is very integral to the next ten years.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
gariboldi":2hb23axh said:
Lundan Cabbie":2hb23axh said:

Worthwhile ves but the temporary nature of their involvement also brings with it the need to bed in good players around them who we have bought outright. I don't see players as good as them (Reid or Kellett) in our reserves or on the bench. The key for me is having a balance of good loaned players and good purchased players. It may cost a bit more (not mega bucks) but a commmitment in the short-term would certainly allow for huge long term profit & gain.

If Reid and Kellett are to stay then it will have to be secured on standard loans in January until the end of the season. Their 93 day emergency loan quatas will be used up so it will either be til May or they go back. If the stay on SLs it will give a bit more security to the squad.

Aug 13, 2011
Lundan Cabbie":1aar840w said:
gariboldi":1aar840w said:
Lundan Cabbie":1aar840w said:

Worthwhile ves but the temporary nature of their involvement also brings with it the need to bed in good players around them who we have bought outright. I don't see players as good as them (Reid or Kellett) in our reserves or on the bench. The key for me is having a balance of good loaned players and good purchased players. It may cost a bit more (not mega bucks) but a commmitment in the short-term would certainly allow for huge long term profit & gain.

If Reid and Kellett are to stay then it will have to be secured on standard loans in January until the end of the season. Their 93 day emergency loan quatas will be used up so it will either be til May or they go back. If the stay on SLs it will give a bit more security to the squad.

Worthwhile knowing. Lets hope they do. Of course even should they and say we gain promotion it would be safer going in to a new league with tried & trusted players who can play at that level so. it does still beckon the need for some spending in this window to bed better players in for next season. Bit of a conundrum really

Jul 10, 2013
Aren't we forgetting that O'Connor is also a loanee?! Out of the 3 I believe he is the priority, all 3 players would be great additions but I think O'Connor is vital to our side. If we can get at least 2 of them permanently that would be a result!

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
I reckon at least one of them, probably two will be with us in early February either permanently or on a long-term loan. Probably not all three but you ever know.

Jan 27, 2012
There was that fella Argyle had on loan once who won the club promotion. I think he was called Tommy Tynan, or something like that.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
NJS37":3bpv8ltl said:
Aren't we forgetting that O'Connor is also a loanee?! Out of the 3 I believe he is the priority, all 3 players would be great additions but I think O'Connor is vital to our side. If we can get at least 2 of them permanently that would be a result!

Personally I wouldn't see the point in signing Kellett permanently. It would completely kill Purrington's development.