Set piece defending | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Set piece defending

C

Cobi Budge.

Getting beyond a joke now isn't it?

It can't even be put down to our defence being disrupted of late as it's been an issue all season.

From open play we defend well, but give the opposition a chance to deliver a dead ball and we are screwed, while at the other end, our opponents pose more of a threat from our corners than we do.

We have 3 fine CB's, it has to be something to do with training .

G

Greenskin

Getting down to brass tacks, how many goals have Argyle actually conceded from set pieces in the 26 games so far this season?

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Cobi Budge.":pqt87474 said:

It can't even be put down to our defence being disrupted of late as it's been an issue all season.

From open play we defend well, but give the opposition a chance to deliver a dead ball and we are screwed, while at the other end, our opponents pose more of a threat from our corners than we do.

cobi,be careful when you mention what goes on in training.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I appreciate you are a busy chap and all that but exactly how many first team training sessions have you actually attended or witnessed yourself this season? You seem to have a much greater knowledge than most of what goes on.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
jerryatricjanner":3sqy3yp8 said:
I appreciate you are a busy chap and all that but exactly how many first team training sessions have you actually attended or witnessed yourself this season? You seem to have a much greater knowledge than most of what goes on.

You would have thought Pedro would have been queuing up to support Mr Evans in his assertions if there was much in what he says. Steve seems to have a mate/acquaintance who give him details of what happens at training which Steve then repeats, and repeats, and repeats, and repeats....

I have come to the conclusion that 1) Steve is making it up; 2) his mate is having a huge laugh at Steve's expense; or 3) it's true. I'm tempted to put up a poll!!

A

Ajax66

Cobi Budge.":5lbw1b62 said:

It can't even be put down to our defence being disrupted of late as it's been an issue all season.From open play we defend well, but give the opposition a chance to deliver a dead ball and we are screwed, while at the other end, our opponents pose more of a threat from our corners than we do.

And last season and the season before. Stupid free kicks given away in dangerous areas.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Greenskin":zom76tpm said:
Getting down to brass tacks, how many goals have Argyle actually conceded from set pieces in the 26 games so far this season?
Just off the top of my head I can recall(not including penalties):

-Cambridge away
-Bury away
-Morecambe away
-Wycombe home
-Coventry away
-York home
-Newport away once
-Newport away twice
-Oxford home
-Luton home

So that means taking out Coventry which is a cup game, exactly half of our 18 goals conceded have come from set pieces. There may be some which I've forgotten too. That's a lot.

G

Greenskin

GreenSam":24r2sb1x said:
Greenskin":24r2sb1x said:
Just off the top of my head I can recall(not including penalties):

-Cambridge away
-Bury away
-Morecambe away
-Wycombe home
-Coventry away
-York home
-Newport away once
-Newport away twice
-Oxford home
-Luton home

So that means taking out Coventry which is a cup game, exactly half of our 18 goals conceded have come from set pieces. There may be some which I've forgotten too. That's a lot.

Surely it's only a lot though in the context of being 50% of the total goals conceded figure, which is the third best in the division. I'd have thought that if you go through a 46 game season and only concede 15-20 goals from set plays, which is what Argyle are on course to do, then that would be a very reasonable outcome-i could be wrong of course, doubtless there are some stats somewhere showing the average figure. A fair few of the goals that you highlight have come since the absence of Hartley from the team, hopefully he'll be back in the team for a more permanent spell soon, to my mind Argyle have severely missed his aerial prowess at both ends of the pitch.

May 22, 2006
green eyed monster":2qznpjrc said:
Set piece taking is not any better...

This is definitely a problem!

York had so many dangerous counter-attacks that I actually felt nervous every time we won a corner.

The art of set-pieces seems to have gone out the window generally. So many hit the first man now, or the players try to be clever and play it short. Just whip the bleddy thing in!

C

Cobi Budge.

John Sheridan said at the meet the manager evening the players go out with 5 or 6 different set plays in mind for corners, maybe this is the exact problem, they all think they are doing something different :roll:

May 22, 2006
Cobi Budge.":roaa0rrc said:
John Sheridan said at the meet the manager evening the players go out with 5 or 6 different set plays in mind for corners, maybe this is the exact problem, they all think they are doing something different :roll:

So are these the five we've been practising:

1. Tap the ball to a nearby player, run into an offside position and receive the ball.
2. Guide the ball gently towards the edge of the box, about chest-height.
3. Loft the ball as high as you can, aiming for the opposite touchline.
4. Execute a ground-level pass straight to a well-marked midfielder.
5. Aim for the side-netting.