Bobby Reid "ARGYLE" | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Bobby Reid "ARGYLE"

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
I'm going to show my ignorance here. Why is Argyle preferred to Plymouth or Plymouth Argyle? Lots of proud Janners around so why the reluctance to use the name of the City?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I think it's because 'Plymouth' is what others call us, whereas 'Argyle' is used more locally.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
IJN":1188ttye said:
I think it's because 'Plymouth' is what others call us, whereas 'Argyle' is used more locally.

Just found this on Wikipedia. I wonder if anybody has the definitive answer on the Argyle issue:

"Much speculation surrounds the origin of the name Argyle. One explanation is that they were named after the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, an army regiment with a strong football side of its own. Another theory is given the respective geographical placements–suggests the name comes either from the nearby public house, The Argyle Tavern, where the founder members may have met, or the local street named Argyle Terrace.[3] An alternative suggestion is that their initial kit was decorated in the famous Argyle diamond pattern."

There's a kit suggestion in the final sentence :)

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
That third one is made up. I've never seen anything even remotely suggesting we ever wore 'diamond pattern'.

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
I've seen Argyle play on going on for 80 different league grounds. Cant recall chanting Plymuff too often. AAARRRGGGYYYLEEE however.....
See someone in disneyworld with an ARGYLE shirt on, you dont chant Plymuff, its AAARRRGGGYYYLEEE or Green Army!
He's probably never heard a "Plymuff" chant and thereby associates an Argyle crowd with Argyle.
Quite reasonable and politically correct...

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
John Cooper":2fh4vk2o said:
I've seen Argyle play on going on for 80 different league grounds. Cant recall chanting Plymouth too often. AAARRRGGGYYYLEEE however.....
See someone in disneyworld with an ARGYLE shirt on, you dont chant Plymouth, its AAARRRGGGYYYLEEE or Green Army!
He's probably never heard a "Plymouth" chant and thereby associates an Argyle crowd with Argyle.

Whereas when you see Mickey Mouse you naturally think of 'Exeter City'. Partly because those big shoes hide their six toes. :scarf:

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
I must admit that I like the use of Argyle very much---it is unique. I'm taking my 2 nephews and niece to the match tomorrow, like the entire family they are Gooners, but I have promised them a proper and unique football experience. I think it will be a good afternoon. Just a final little note on the Argyle name found through a bit of Googling:

'At the turn of the last century of the old millenium F Howard Grose and W Pethybridge shared rooms in Argyll Terrace while working in Plymouth. The two men formed a football team and Grose suggested the team should emulate the teamwork of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders so the name Plymouth Argyle was born - Plymouth Argyles first strip of green and black quarters were like the S & A tartan of green and Navy check'

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Ade the green":8b543v4q said:
John Cooper":8b543v4q said:
I've seen Argyle play on going on for 80 different league grounds. Cant recall chanting Plymouth too often. AAARRRGGGYYYLEEE however.....
See someone in disneyworld with an ARGYLE shirt on, you dont chant Plymouth, its AAARRRGGGYYYLEEE or Green Army!
He's probably never heard a "Plymouth" chant and thereby associates an Argyle crowd with Argyle.

Whereas when you see Mickey Mouse you naturally think of 'Exeter City'. Partly because those big shoes hide their six toes. :scarf:

Like it. Up until the IJN amnesty on user names, mine used to be "dead before red"

May 5, 2006
I think I am right in saying that Argyle was used 17 years before Plymouth was added. 1886 formed as Argyle Athletic, became Plymouth Argyle when turning pro in 1903. If it came from the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders would we not be spelling it with "ll" rather than "le". The Argyle Terrace link seems the best theory..

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
Old Gunner":1yp4iakz said:
IJN":1yp4iakz said:
Just found this on Wikipedia. I wonder if anybody has the definitive answer on the Argyle issue:

"Much speculation surrounds the origin of the name Argyle. One explanation is that they were named after the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, an army regiment with a strong football side of its own. Another theory is given the respective geographical placements–suggests the name comes either from the nearby public house, The Argyle Tavern, where the founder members may have met, or the local street named Argyle Terrace.[3] An alternative suggestion is that their initial kit was decorated in the famous Argyle diamond pattern."

A fair bit of Wikipedia nonsense there I'm afraid. Roger Walters covers the origin of the name very convincingly in Greens on Screen's first chapter of The History of Argyle, here: http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/argyleh ... =1886-1890

Aug 2, 2011
No true supporter calls us Plymouth. Plymouth Argyle possibly, but most likely Argyle. We are unique and we remain unique.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
GreensOnScreen":1j0ayky6 said:
Old Gunner":1j0ayky6 said:
IJN":1j0ayky6 said:

A fair bit of Wikipedia nonsense there I'm afraid. Roger Walters covers the origin of the name very convincingly in Greens on Screen's first chapter of The History of Argyle, here: http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/argyleh ... =1886-1890

Fantastic. Thank you for the link--what a marvellous heritage.