The Basics | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The Basics

Mar 14, 2009
Find it so frustating that we have witnessed over a number of years the same fundamental flaws in argyles play.

At times, in short spells we have seen so good football. Yet for some reason argyle never build on this and end up going backwards.

I say for some reason but actually the same issues need addressing.

1. General passing. Just passing a simple ball to feet and to a man about 10 yards from you. Oh and forwards, not sideways or back

2. Crossing. Our corners are abysmal. Never whipped in. Never any pace on the ball. Morecambe goal today was how a corner should be taken. Any touch on a whiped in ball causes confusion.

Then there is the crossing from open play. Again, hits the first person in the box. Lack of thought and care.

3. Set pieces. No creavity when doing them. Always are predictable and have no variatIons.

4. Numbers in the oppostions box. You cant score if you dont get bodies in the box. Argyle seemingly never have anyone to cross to when they do get wide.

5. Crab style of football. No one takes responibility. Its the chuckle brothers style of football. Its to me-to you.

I wonder what argyle work on when on the training ground because over a number of years these issues keep raising their head. The coaching must be pee poor because if it was any good l wouldnt be raising the same issues l was making in the fletcher era

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Yes I agree, one other thing that we keep seeing failing to score our chances, we had so many and they had about 4 yet it was 1-1 at the end.

Agree with this apart from passing.. it's impossible to continually keep passing it forwards! To keep possession it needs to go backwards and sideways. The problem we have is our possession is meaningless half the time as there is no end product

Sep 6, 2006
r4h4al":1l93b9ln said:
Yes I agree, one other thing that we keep seeing failing to score our chances, we had so many and they had about 4 yet it was 1-1 at the end.

I wasn't there but according to some contributors Morecombe should have won it in the end so that doesn't sound right.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
Balham_Green":1qcuop3s said:
r4h4al":1qcuop3s said:

I wasn't there but according to some contributors Morecombe should have won it in the end so that doesn't sound right.

According to the BBC we had 16 shots of which only 3 were on target.

Seems like some shooting practice is called for at "training".

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
David_Fisher":3b9yf6z0 said:
Balham_Green":3b9yf6z0 said:
r4h4al":3b9yf6z0 said:

Yes I was going to post that somewhere tonight! Shots from open play, where the player had the ball down, had beaten men and made space to shoot or had been given the ball in spsace and had it under control?? NO EXCUSE for not getting the ball under the bar and between the posts EVERY TIME!!

NO EXCUSE!!! :furious: :facepalm: :furious:

Sep 6, 2006
Pogleswoody":1lad1tft said:
David_Fisher":1lad1tft said:
Balham_Green":1lad1tft said:
r4h4al":1lad1tft said:

Yes I was going to post that somewhere tonight! Shots from open play, where the player had the ball down, had beaten men and made space to shoot or had been given the ball in spsace and had it under control?? NO EXCUSE for not getting the ball under the bar and between the posts EVERY TIME!!

Sounds so easy. Why didnt they think of that?

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
The Sturrock promotion side seemed to get by with sheer bloody-mindedness at times but I haven't seen that sort of "let's get that ball in the effing net" knack in an Argyle side for absolutely years. The 3-3 (or 2-2?) at home with Cardiff under Holloway is a good example. Like last week, when Luton scored I think most of the crowd just knew what was coming.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Balham_Green":2mck40sx said:
Pogleswoody":2mck40sx said:
David_Fisher":2mck40sx said:
Balham_Green":2mck40sx said:
r4h4al":2mck40sx said:

Sorry don't understand your comment , you think that missing the (whole) goal every time is an acceptable standard for a pro footballer? :think:

Sep 6, 2006
Pogleswoody":3uh7eh6l said:
Balham_Green":3uh7eh6l said:
Pogleswoody":3uh7eh6l said:
David_Fisher":3uh7eh6l said:
Balham_Green":3uh7eh6l said:
r4h4al":3uh7eh6l said:

Sorry don't understand your comment , you think that missing the (whole) goal every time is an acceptable standard for a pro footballer? :think:

Its a bit simplistic. Are you suggesting the best players in the world always 'hit the target'? If that were the case in World Cups the scores would be 7.7 or something.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Its a bit simplistic. Are you suggesting the best players in the world always 'hit the target'? If that were the case in World Cups the scores would be 7.7 or something.[/quote]

No, because the world class keepers would save a certain percentage neh?? I don't mean score, I mean score if the goalie doesn't save it.

simplistic enough for you?

Sep 6, 2006
Pogleswoody":1wkfa7bp said:
Its a bit simplistic. Are you suggesting the best players in the world always 'hit the target'? If that were the case in World Cups the scores would be 7.7 or something.

No, because the world class keepers would save a certain percentage neh?? I don't mean score, I mean score if the goalie doesn't save it.

simplistic enough for you?[/quote]

TOO simplistic. I'll ask the question again. Do players at the highest level e.g. world Cups, always 'hit the target'? Whether the keeper saves it or not. Dont bother answering we know they dont. So if they don't at that level....

Mar 23, 2008
How about some movement, we are so static and must be a dream to defend against. The basics must also include a motivated team busting a gut for the manager first to every loose ball and that is just not happening.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
Metal_Green_Mickey":sior513y said:
Find it so frustating that we have witnessed over a number of years the same fundamental flaws in argyles play.

At times, in short spells we have seen so good football. Yet for some reason argyle never build on this and end up going backwards.

I say for some reason but actually the same issues need addressing.

1. General passing. Just passing a simple ball to feet and to a man about 10 yards from you. Oh and forwards, not sideways or back

2. Crossing. Our corners are abysmal. Never whipped in. Never any pace on the ball. Morecambe goal today was how a corner should be taken. Any touch on a whiped in ball causes confusion.

Then there is the crossing from open play. Again, hits the first person in the box. Lack of thought and care.

3. Set pieces. No creavity when doing them. Always are predictable and have no variatIons.

4. Numbers in the oppostions box. You cant score if you dont get bodies in the box. Argyle seemingly never have anyone to cross to when they do get wide.

5. Crab style of football. No one takes responibility. Its the chuckle brothers style of football. Its to me-to you.

I wonder what argyle work on when on the training ground because over a number of years these issues keep raising their head. The coaching must be pi$$ poor because if it was any good l wouldnt be raising the same issues l was making in the fletcher era

Spot on.

I'd love to see what passes for training.

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
If only our players could put in a performance similar to Cambridge v United . For sheer effort and determination topped off with tactics and no little skill It would be worth paying our money. I know they didn't actually score, but that showing would have buried most of the lge 2 teams, Argyle included.