Wotton Coach | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Wotton Coach

• Thread starter Cult Of Personality
  • Start date
C

Cult Of Personality

This will be unpopular but from what we are told Paul Wotton has been coaching the defence and I will be fair the defence is a good unit when playing in open play but for the love of god why do we not seem able to defend a set piece

Morecambe did a basic move for there goal and made the defence look awful yet again at set plays

Are whole set plays need working on as well with bobby Reid thinking his corner will work when it never beats the 1st man

Wotton needs to go along with Sheridan

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
We've conceded more goals this season (10) from goals than from open play (9). A truly remarkable stat which sums up the disparity between the two.

The last time we conceded a goal from open play, with eleven men was Northampton 8 games ago. The last time we did so in a home game was Stevenage in August. From open play this is the best Argyle defence I've ever seen. From set pieces this is the worst Argyle defence I've ever seen.

What gives?

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
gracie11":3pgc0kz4 said:
Would Jose make the defence better, with the limited training/facilities?
Ive said that before on here about a top manager, most top managers have top players to work with, if the players aint good enough what can you do ? Regarding limited facilities, some great Argyle teams of the past have had the same facilities, all you need is a ball and a pitch, The national team has one of the best "facilities" in the world, how they have improved on the pitch since that was built NOT.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
MannameadGreen":1fvtkv8u said:
Agree 100% with the OP.

I'm inclined to think that our good defence from open play has a lot to do with our personnel. Set-pieces is the sign of a well-coached team, and we are absolutely diabolical at defending them.
I have to disagree. I agree the set piece record is a major point against Wotton's ability but at the same time I don't think you can entirely write off our open play record as just being the personnel.

We have good attacking personnel and good defensive personnel but only one of those two look like a unit that knows where all it's members are and is organised for 98% of the match. If we just had good individuals but no organisation, then there would be a lot more last ditch defending then there currently is. From open play we are a defensive unit and that's the only part of our team that is a unit rather than just talented individuals.

If our defence as as unorganised as our attack, we'd be bottom ten in the league.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
We are missing Hartley at set pieces, he's the organiser and leader.

Aug 12, 2011
pearces greens":35d50qes said:
gracie11":35d50qes said:
Would Jose make the defence better, with the limited training/facilities?
Ive said that before on here about a top manager, most top managers have top players to work with, if the players aint good enough what can you do ? Regarding limited facilities, some great Argyle teams of the past have had the same facilities, all you need is a ball and a pitch, The national team has one of the best "facilities" in the world, how they have improved on the pitch since that was built NOT.

You do only need a ball on a pitch, but also need a manager to say lets get a ball and go down on the pitch :banghead:

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
As someone else has alluded to, when we play well it's more down to the players as individuals; it is despite Sheridan and his coaching, not because of it.

This is best illustrated by the shambles we see every week with our set plays which should be worked out on the training ground.

Last week, we turn our back on a corner and leave 2 guys unmarked on the edge of the box, one of who scores. Today, a simple corner routine where the first guy flicks it on and the second one nips in to head home from close range.

Hardly one out of the Malcolm Allison repertoire and surely a move we should be defending.

Newport away we lose 2-0, with both goals coming from set plays.

As for own set plays, apart from frequently starting counter attacks against us, what is supposed to be the idea behind Reid's pathetic chip it to the near post corners?

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
So we're expected to score loads from set plays because it is considered a lot easier yet we bemoan the team for conceding more from set plays than open play, what gives there you can't have it both ways it's either hard for us and the opposition or it's easy for us both?

10 goals from set plays, 10 goals from 27 games!!! That is quite remarkable if you ask me, that's a set piece goal every 3 games, just because our defence is superb in open play to have only conceded 9 does not mean 10 from set plays is bad by any means, both are quite incredible defensive stats for 27 games, one just so happens to be better than the other.

Fact of the matter is our defence is in no way the problem here, if we scored goals we would win our games, our defence really is good enough to be relied upon to hold on in most games if only our attack did it's job at the other end. Moaning at our defensive coach because despite only conceding a goal in 2 really is scraping the barrel; we simply need goals and to do so we need to create chances or at least take more of the few we currently create to which no amount of defensive coaching will solve.

Now if you don't mind I'm off to have a pop at my gas man, the electrics are on the blink :facepalm:

Aug 12, 2011
demportdave":2j9greu4 said:
As someone else has alluded to, when we play well it's more down to the players as individuals; it is despite Sheridan and his coaching, not because of it.

This is best illustrated by the shambles we see every week with our set plays which should be worked out on the training ground.

Last week, we turn our back on a corner and leave 2 guys unmarked on the edge of the box, one of who scores. Today, a simple corner routine where the first guy flicks it on and the second one nips in to head home from close range.

Hardly one out of the Malcolm Allison repertoire and surely a move we should be defending.

Newport away we lose 2-0, with both goals coming from set plays.

As for own set plays, apart from frequently starting counter attacks against us, what is supposed to be the idea behind Reid's pathetic chip it to the near post corners?

led to believe there wasn't much of any training, let alone set pieces before the Newport game :silent: