Back to 4-4-2? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Back to 4-4-2?

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
We started playing the 3-5-2 because we were struggling and had the players to use that system.

Let's be honest, we are struggling again. Perhaps time to get back to basics, play a simple 4-4-2?

One goalkeeper, two full backs who primarily defend but can support attacks when appropriate, two wide players, an attacking midfielder, more of a holding midfielder and two forwards. Every player knows their job and sticks to it.

Give Nathan Thomas a starting place too, if he loses the ball then so be it. It is his job to attack, Purrington can be there if needed to break down opposition attacks.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
Argy1e":uios4etw said:
Do we have the players for 4-4-2? i'm not convinced.

I think so. We have plenty of centre backs. We have a right back. We have a left back. We have central midfielders. We have players who can play out wide. We have strikers.

Back in the 2001/2002 promotion season we virtually always played 4-4-2 at home and 4-5-1 away from home.

As I said, I think we need a simple system where we have the right players in the right positions and every player knows their job.

Working on 'shape' should be a key focus in training right now.

I also think we need a change. I don't think any team can go on indefinitely with the same system - it becomes easy for the opposition to do their homework.

4-1-3-2

Luke

Purrington
mchugh
nelson
mellor

Cox

Alessandra
Norburn
B.Reid

R.Reid
Brunt

A

agentgreen

Think we should play 11 at the back. Same result as the last 6 games. Win or lose. Whoops meant lose or draw.

Apr 1, 2009
Phil Sloggett":3lhumvky said:
Argy1e":3lhumvky said:
Do we have the players for 4-4-2? i'm not convinced.

I think so. We have plenty of centre backs. We have a right back. We have a left back. We have central midfielders. We have players who can play out wide. We have strikers.

Back in the 2001/2002 promotion season we virtually always played 4-4-2 at home and 4-5-1 away from home.

As I said, I think we need a simple system where we have the right players in the right positions and every player knows their job.

Working on 'shape' should be a key focus in training right now.

Who are your players who can play out wide? Sturrock liked midfield workers like Lee Hodges and David Norris, who could get forward but could also help their FBs, mixed with a winger like Buster Phillips. In the former category we have no one unless Kellett returns, in the latter we have Thomas who I don't believe is disciplined enough to start regularly.

I agree that we need to switch formation, but typically we have not got the personnel to do it. Again, Sheridan has not thought out plan B.

Mar 23, 2008
We have to change something for the next home game as we have been worked out. We must pose more of an attacking threat and commit more players forward. I thnk a 4-2-3-1 would suit us better with Cox and Norburn sitting deep with Alessandra, Harvey and Thomas playing off Reid.

C

Cobi Budge.

This is what I'd go with (fully fit squad). Don't understand the logic behind not playing Thomas, the only player who looks capable of beating a man and crossing.

1189826_Plymouth_Argyle.jpg

Dec 28, 2010
4-4-3

1. Bittner

2. Mellor
5. Nelson
16. McHugh
3. Purrington

6. Norburn
17. B.Reid
4. Cox

7. Alessandra
9. R.Reid
19. Thomas

Using the squad available at present this is what i would play, stay attacking untill certain members of the squad are fit.

It would have been 4-4-2 but we have no right wing.

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
run_PAFC":ujk7xdh9 said:
I also think we need a change. I don't think any team can go on indefinitely with the same system - it becomes easy for the opposition to do their homework.

4-1-3-2

Luke

Purrington
mchugh
nelson
mellor

Cox

Alessandra
Norburn
B.Reid

R.Reid
Brunt

Not sure if I quite get this one!

The quality of Nelson, Hartley, McHugh means we definitely have a squad set up to play with 3 centre-backs and we have Flanagan with us now too, of course. I find what's changed 5-2-1-2 from being very successful to the boring, ineffective style it gives us now, are the performances of the wing-backs, Reuben Reid and Alessandra. At one time, Mellor, Bobby Reid, Kellett, Reuben Reid and Alessandra all linked up with each other very well but Mellor hasn't made a decent run in weeks, while Reuben always seems to receive the ball out wide now? I also think we Cox needs another CM of O'Connor's quality, as neither Lee or Norburn are there for me. I think that could potentially be Blizzard but an O'Connor return is what we really want.

Jun 11, 2012
At Hartlepool, I'd go:

---------- McCormick/Bittner -----------
Mellor - Nelson - McHugh - Purrington
------------- Lee - Norburn -------------
Alessandra ---- B.Reid -------- Banton
----------------- R.Reid -----------------

Jun 11, 2012
soccerpilgrim":2arr2ux9 said:
run_PAFC":2arr2ux9 said:

4-1-3-2

Luke

Purrington
mchugh
nelson
mellor

Cox

Alessandra
Norburn
B.Reid

R.Reid
Brunt

Not sure if I quite get this one!

The quality of Nelson, Hartley, McHugh means we definitely have a squad set up to play with 3 centre-backs and we have Flanagan with us now too, of course. I find what's changed 5-2-1-2 from being very successful to the boring, ineffective style it gives us now, are the performances of the wing-backs, Reuben Reid and Alessandra. At one time, Mellor, Bobby Reid, Kellett, Reuben Reid and Alessandra all linked up with each other very well but Mellor hasn't made a decent run in weeks, while Reuben always seems to receive the ball out wide now? I also think we Cox needs another CM of O'Connor's quality, as neither Lee or Norburn are there for me. I think that could potentially be Blizzard but an O'Connor return is what we really want.
Nothing you said countered what he said.

Jun 11, 2012
Greenpafcpete":1c2064ep said:
4-4-3

1. Bittner

2. Mellor
5. Nelson
16. McHugh
3. Purrington

6. Norburn
17. B.Reid
4. Cox

7. Alessandra
9. R.Reid
19. Thomas

Using the squad available at present this is what i would play, stay attacking untill certain members of the squad are fit.

It would have been 4-4-2 but we have no right wing.
When people say 4-3-3 (or 4-4-3 in your case!) they will almost always be including wingers in that. When do you ever see a side play with 3 strikers?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Playing 4-4-2 depends on two factors, the return of Hartley and the return of Kellett.
If Hartley comes back Nelson or McHugh don't deserve to be dropped and those three have played well together. If Kellett doesn't return then it has to be a back four because Purrington just isn't a wing back but is a decent left back.

I think Sheridan will stick with 3-5-2 or as yesterday 3-1-4-2.