Training | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Training

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
How often do the players train?
What do the players do in training?
Who takes the sessions?
Are the players working on the issues which keep cropping up in games?

When teams are struggling it is the work on the training pitch which determines whether the issues are ironed out. Will the team be sitting down to watch a re-run of the game from today and have it pointed out to them where they need to improve so that we can get back to winning ways?

I don't think that would be a bad idea.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Phil Sloggett":ml93858g said:
Who takes the sessions?

When teams are struggling it is the work on the training pitch which determines whether the issues are ironed out. Will the team be sitting down to watch a re-run of the game from today and have it pointed out to them where they need to improve so that we can get back to winning ways?

a trusted friend of mine works in the life centre.the word training is completely foreign to the players when they go over there.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
GreenGreen":1b8xpnw3 said:
What do you see as the issues?
i would imagine the lack of team spirit,ineptitude at defending set pieces and an inability to pass the ball forward in the case of lee cox and oliver lee in particular and running out of steam against footballing giants such as york and morecambe for examples.are you pleased with the way we are doing at the moment?

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
GreenGreen":1n8bn3yw said:
What do you see as the issues?

A lack of ideas going forward. Passing the ball around (in a forward direction). Lack of goals. Getting players into the box when we are attacking (how many times did the ball end up in their area, only for their to be no one there!). Defending at set pieces and corners (though apparently they practised defending those all week). General defensive frailties. Shape. Communication / talking to one another. Confidence (the players seem to have lost a lot of it). Desire to play for the shirt.

Oh, and making sure the players know their individual jobs and how to carry out the manager's game plan!

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
keeno79":38mcuen7 said:
Phil Sloggett":38mcuen7 said:
Who takes the sessions?

blimey. he at it again

Thanks for bumping my thread Neil. :lol:

Mar 23, 2008
Based on the fact that obvious weaknesses and deficiencies are the same each week it leads you to presume that whatever happens in training is either not correctly focussed or poorly delivered.

Jan 10, 2015
Plymouth
This is the issue I always find myself asking what tactics do they train at especially if the original plan isnt working?

Oct 5, 2013
Yesterday was so inept attack-wise, that it has made me wonder what Argyle work on in training, what they actually do all week.

My initial suggestions to improve the performances of the midfielders and strikers would be:

Basic ball-control for an hour every day, so that the ball doesn't bounce 6 feet away after the first touch.

Work on using both feet - how many one-footers do we have (who aren't as good as Ryan Giggs with the one they use), leading to almost no shots because the opposition know all they have to do is shepherd the one-footers onto their bad foot;

Working on getting past people down the line at pace, and getting a cross in.

Oct 5, 2013
Perhaps someone from the club can come on here and give some answers about training, PASOTI is advertised at the ground and perhaps this gives it some sort of officialness?

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
Connor Clarke":3extnmxo said:
Phil Sloggett":3extnmxo said:
Can anyone answer any of the questions in the original post?

How would anyone on here know?

A lot of people on here are very knowledgable about what goes on at Argyle.

A number of people used to comment on what was going on at Harper's Park (though I remember a change being made to make training methods less visible to the public, which was understandable).

I recall Guy Branston commenting at the Fans Fest a while back that he found it particularly important for a manager to spend time on the training pitch.

I am sure Sheridan does take he majority of sessions (or certainly organises them), but whatever is going on doesn't seem to be that effective right now.

A number of posters seem to have concerns that we are going backwards and that concerns are not being addressesd.

Sheridan has assembled a fairly useful squad but we need to make sure that we are getting the best out of these players between now and the end of the season.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
this is what the west brom goalie has said today about the great tony pulis;
West Brom goalkeeper Ben Foster backs 'brutal' Tony Pulis regime

Ben Foster says new West Brom manager Tony Pulis has introduced a "brutal" regime, but believes his methods will get the best out of the players.
Pulis is unbeaten in his first four games since replacing Alan Irvine, including Saturday's 2-1 win over Birmingham in the FA Cup fourth round.
Goalkeeper Foster, 31, believes the Albion squad have been given a wake-up call by the 57-year-old.
"It is brutal, but I love it. I think it's fantastic," he said.
"I would say he is just on to players a bit more. Nobody really gets away with anything now.
"He lets nobody have rest days or slack off - nothing like that.

"If I was a manager, I would be like him. You've got to treat football players like kids sometimes. If you give them an inch, they will take a mile - it's amazing."
"He's so professional, so thorough and he thinks everything through down to the minutest detail.
:sigh: how i wish we had a similar manager.i am emerald green with envy. :furious:

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
I think this point is worth revisiting today.

The team (and the coaching staff, including Sheridan!) need to spend some quality time on the training pitch this week working out how we are going to set about breaking down Accrington Stanley and ensuring we pick up 3 points next Saturday.