Well done Aidan | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Well done Aidan

Aug 22, 2008
Chicago
It's tough being an exile surrounded by fans of other clubs hundreds of miles from Home Park, where the only interest shown is when someone asks you how "Portmouth, or is it Peterborough?" are doing.

So spare a thought for the children of exiles whose parents, against all the odds, manage to bring their children up to be Argyle fans. They have never even lived in or anywhere near Plymouth. They will have showed up to football club in their Argyle shirt with a bunch of kids that didn't even know you got green football shirts. People see your scarf and ask "what's a Celtic fan doing all the way down here?"

My old man worked on the railway so as a youngster I was lucky enough to get free train travel. From the age of 14, while groups of my mates were heading to Charlton or Gillingham, I would be sat on a train on my own heading to Darlington or some other footballing outpost. When off to a home game, it was amazing when you spotted that first green shirt, wolfing down a sub-standard pasty on Paddington station.

I have enormous respect for any kid, whichever team they support, that chooses to follow a lower league club they are connected to over a closer top-flight team. I guarantee that following that team will teach them so much more about how to lose, how to win, camaraderie, loyalty, patience and perseverance than being a glory hunter. It gives them an identity that is different to others around them and teaches them that is ok. You learn to cherish the highs and be contemplative during the lows. From my own experience, it certainly allowed me to share so many great days out with my dad during the difficult teenage years that we just wouldn't have had if I had decided to be an Arsenal fan.

Good for him and all the other youngsters who are doing this all over the country. You won't regret it.

G

Greenskin

Young Aidan comes from a dyed in the wool Argyle family. I knew his Grandfather, who sadly passed away at a very young age, very well-he was a Home park regular and certainly passed his interest on to his sons and daughters and now to his Grandchildren. Good lad for following in the family tradition, lets hope his wish to see Argyle moving up the divisions is fulfilled sooner rather than later.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Let us hope the club pick up on this and the lad and his minder get a VIP day at HP. It would show some gratitude to them for their effort and expense and would be excellent PR for the club.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
memory man":qgyyy8vf said:
Let us hope the club pick up on this and the lad and his minder get a VIP day at HP. It would show some gratitude to them for their effort and expense and would be excellent PR for the club.

Mr Newell can you organise something?

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Golden Hind":3m3cxcup said:
It's tough being an exile surrounded by fans of other clubs hundreds of miles from Home Park, where the only interest shown is when someone asks you how "Portmouth, or is it Peterborough?" are doing.

So spare a thought for the children of exiles whose parents, against all the odds, manage to bring their children up to be Argyle fans. They have never even lived in or anywhere near Plymouth. They will have showed up to football club in their Argyle shirt with a bunch of kids that didn't even know you got green football shirts. People see your scarf and ask "what's a Celtic fan doing all the way down here?"

My old man worked on the railway so as a youngster I was lucky enough to get free train travel. From the age of 14, while groups of my mates were heading to Charlton or Gillingham, I would be sat on a train on my own heading to Darlington or some other footballing outpost. When off to a home game, it was amazing when you spotted that first green shirt, wolfing down a sub-standard pasty on Paddington station.

I have enormous respect for any kid, whichever team they support, that chooses to follow a lower league club they are connected to over a closer top-flight team. I guarantee that following that team will teach them so much more about how to lose, how to win, camaraderie, loyalty, patience and perseverance than being a glory hunter. It gives them an identity that is different to others around them and teaches them that is ok. You learn to cherish the highs and be contemplative during the lows. From my own experience, it certainly allowed me to share so many great days out with my dad during the difficult teenage years that we just wouldn't have had if I had decided to be an Arsenal fan.

Good for him and all the other youngsters who are doing this all over the country. You won't regret it.

I agree. But there is also a peculiar pride/cred thing with supporting a lower league team. My son is 13, and rather revels in being 'the only Argyle fan in the village' as he refers to it. Loads of his mates look out for the Argyle scores now, even though they support Prem sides. Several have come to Argyle games with us - there is a 'second team' thing with a couple who have been to a good few matches now. Sadly, Gloucestershire is very egg-chaser. Oddly, my town Rugby side (Newent) are called the Green Army. They got to Twickenham two years in a row, and there are lots of Green Army car stickers around the place. But only one on my car that bears the truth.

I love it when I see a lads in Hereford shirt aorund here for the same reasons.

L

lewjam14

kernow19":26nl5pxe said:
memory man":26nl5pxe said:

Mr Newell can you organise something?
try and get sky sports news to cover it?

Mar 9, 2011
Well done Aiden. I know Gill and Bob have captured you (and / or your flag) on several occasions for Greens on Screen.

Green Army :scarf: