Seats on the old terrace | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Seats on the old terrace

M

Monkey Nuts

I wonder IF we are well in the mixer for automatic promotion with 2 or 3 games to go, and with the prospect of a play off semi final on the horizon, we might see a temporary return of the seats on the old Mayflower terrace?

Is it even possible to hire them at such short notice? How much do the cost? Would the inevitable clamour for tickets sufficiently exceed the cost in order to make it worthwhile?

I seem to remember that the temporary seats added space for another 3,500 bums, and it would be nice to see a return of crowds in the 'upper teens'!

What do you think? Is the idea even in the clubs radar?

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
Something has to be done before elf & safety gets it condemned.

Jul 29, 2010
Reports at the time suggested a six figure cost for installing the Mayflower seating (and that was years ago, it'll only have gone up). It ain't gonna happen. And neither should it with football creditor debts still to pay.

We'd struggle to break even on the venture, let alone make money. As much as we'd all like it to happen I can't see 3,500 extra bums above HP's present capacity turning up to place themselves on those seats.

M

Monkey Nuts

X Isle":1i3jdxg5 said:
Reports at the time suggested a six figure cost for installing the Mayflower seating (and that was years ago, it'll only have gone up). It ain't gonna happen. And neither should it with football creditor debts still to pay.

We'd struggle to break even on the venture, let alone make money. As much as we'd all like it to happen I can't see 3,500 extra bums above HP's present capacity turning up to place themselves on those seats.

Didn't realise it cost anything like that much!! So it almost certainly wouldn't pay for itself over a few games!!

As for the second paragraph, I disagree really, we all know how the fair weather Janners like to turn up in their droves for promotion deciders!! I could easily see us selling 18,000 tickets if we had 18,000 seats.

Jan 26, 2009
Tamerton Foliot
I seem to remember that the Mayflower temporary seating was costing £100,000 per season at the time. However, the installation & taking down costs must also have been quite considerable.

Jun 16, 2006
Even it could be filled at the average rate of £11/seat from rest of ground it would only bring in £38,500 / game (bear in mind Mayflower had reduced prices last time it was opened). That would take 2-3 games to pay back so highly unlikely.

Looking at the home fixtures left cannot see any team bringing enough fans to fill more than 1 block so hopefully the club will look at opening BPE to spread load of any bumper crowds. Only Newport carries any sort of "risk".

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Monkey Nuts":3706rifq said:
[
As for the second paragraph, I disagree really, we all know how the fair weather Janners like to turn up in their droves for promotion deciders!! I could easily see us selling 18,000 tickets if we had 18,000 seats.

Nah. I know it probably isn't a decent example (Roots Hall only holding roughly 12k), but a quick look at Saafend last season saw them averaging 5k fans for home games (what are we averaging at the moment? 6k per game?) and then for their home semi-final game they got 9k in through the gates: roughly double. I reckon we may get 13k in for a semi-final game, but not a full house.

Apr 15, 2008
London
It would be nice, though you can understand why they wouldn't - it wouldn't be worth it; it would be too expensive for one game and if you were to keep it there for next season it wouldn't inspire confidence that work was "imminent" on the new stand (even though everyone knows it isn't going to happen anyway).

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
I believe it cost 100k for the season. Would it be any cheaper with a short term deal? Like others have pointed out, I don't think they would be needed.

Jul 29, 2010
Monkey Nuts":p2tvxt3v said:
X Isle":p2tvxt3v said:

Didn't realise it cost anything like that much!! So it almost certainly wouldn't pay for itself over a few games!!

With debts to still pay off I don't see it as any kind of priority to invest in the hope 'fairweathers' will come for a couple or three games at the end of the season. Besides given this team's frustratingly equal capacity for winless steaks as well as long unbeaten runs you could easily see that investment being made only for gates to remain at the natural 6-7K due to a slump.

Nice idea, ain't gonna happen.

Nov 4, 2012
I think we would sell in excess of 15k for a Play-off Semi Final especially if it's against someone like Luton who would sell out their allocation. Seems stupid that we can't go back to having a terrace.

Jul 29, 2010
Baseline it cost £100k five years ago, it's probably doubled in that time. Add in the fact it's unlikely a company has 3.5K seating gathering dust so we'd have to pay a premium price to get a quick installation, plus the fact it may not be available anyway and you can see why this simply isn't gonna happen.

Any Johnny-come-lately 'fans' who get locked out of this mythical sell-out this season might want to reflect on this. If they'd dragged their lazy asses to HP in greater numbers throughout the season then the economic argument for catering for them would be a whole heap easier to make.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
X Isle":1a6zz8de said:
Baseline it cost £100k five years ago, it's probably doubled in that time. Add in the fact it's unlikely a company has 3.5K seating gathering dust so we'd have to pay a premium price to get a quick installation, plus the fact it may not be available anyway and you can see why this simply isn't gonna happen.
Get some Polish builders in to quote for it. They’d turn up at 6am and leave after dark with the job done and no mess for about a tenth of that price. (Just make sure the Health and Safety Gestapo aren’t watching though and, errr……………………cash would be preferred, sir :whistle: ).