Tough game Saturday v Bury | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Tough game Saturday v Bury

Jan 12, 2009
Looking ahead to Saturday and can we make it 5 wins in a row?

Bury have one of the best squads in the division and are lower in the league than many thought they would be, Danny Mayor is probably the best player in the division.

Cox surely has to replace the departing Lee but keep the rest of the side the same.

Hopeful of a win but a game we defiantly don't want to be losing and lose ground on them and the teams above us.

1-1 Reid

L

lambanog

To me, this is one of the defining games of the whole season. A win at home here, could set the wheels in motion for a very good run in.
Four wins on the trot, it would appear that confidence has returned and the squad have started to gel nicely, but we are talking about Argyle, our lows and highs are just not predictable.

I feel that this could well be a 2-1 win, moving us three points clear of Bury, and cementing a place in the play offs. However, the words not predictable linger.

derbygreen

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2003
Paignton....was Derby
Bought my ticket yesterday and I'm really looking forward to this game. Hopefully the crowd should be a little bigger than the norm. A win on Saturday sets us up nicely.

Come on you Greens!

Dec 6, 2012
Plymouth, England, PL2 3HG
PAFCJames86":37ydcpms said:
Looking ahead to Saturday and can we make it 5 wins in a row?

Bury have one of the best squads in the division and are lower in the league than many thought they would be, Danny Mayor is probably the best player in the division.

Cox surely has to replace the departing Lee but keep the rest of the side the same.

Hopeful of a win but a game we defiantly don't want to be losing and lose ground on them and the teams above us.

1-1 Reid
We will be defiant and win easily!!!

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Cox in for Lee i'd imagine would be the only change, provided that the rest of the players came out of Saturday relatively unscathed - most importantly Reuben, no news is good news on that one I hope.

I'd personally consider Mellor back in for Talbot if he's fit, Sheridan said he'd trained really well all week but ended up an absentee from the bench. Talbot looked a bit sluggish to me, positioned himself too deep as a wingback and tired dramatically towards the end of each half - he let that cross for their goal come in way too easy.

Either way, I'm confident and will be travelling down for the match.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
spowell92":3s45nprl said:
Cox in for Lee i'd imagine would be the only change, provided that the rest of the players came out of Saturday relatively unscathed - most importantly Reuben, no news is good news on that one I hope.

I'd personally consider Mellor back in for Talbot if he's fit, Sheridan said he'd trained really well all week but ended up an absentee from the bench. Talbot looked a bit sluggish to me, positioned himself too deep as a wingback and tired dramatically towards the end of each half - he let that cross for their goal come in way too easy.

Either way, I'm confident and will be travelling down for the match.

Personally I wouldn't drop Drew, he covers that wing back role brilliantly by doing both the defensive and offensive work very well. No offence to Mellor I rate him highly but Drew is top class and we're lucky to have him IMO :scarf:

C

Cobi Budge.

I definitely wouldn't drop Talbot, I'm a fan personally, really good crosser of the ball on both feet. We've won 4 straight with him playing all of those games.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
He's not a bad player, I didn't see Mellor play during his apparent decline in form, but I've seen both play and prefer Mellor in the RWB role. Drew positions himself as a RB too much, standing flat with the back 3, it caught us out towards the end of the first half on Saturday a couple of times and they managed to get back into the game by exploiting his side. I think he's still short of match fitness, if Mellor's available I'd choose him ahead of Talbot, but that's just me being picky - they're both quality choices to have.

C

Cobi Budge.

spowell92":2rkccxz0 said:
He's not a bad player, I didn't see Mellor play during his apparent decline in form, but I've seen both play and prefer Mellor in the RWB role. Drew positions himself as a RB too much, standing flat with the back 3, it caught us out towards the end of the first half on Saturday a couple of times and they managed to get back into the game by exploiting his side. I think he's still short of match fitness, if Mellor's available I'd choose him ahead of Talbot, but that's just me being picky - they're both quality choices to have.

If I could be sure Mellor would be the Mellor of Portsmouth home then I agree, but in Mellor's last 6 or 7 games (maybe more), he's not only been average, he's been awful.

Personally I don't think Talbot deserves dropping, all his games for us have been a 7/10+

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
I'm not doubting Talbot's obvious quality, but it was a 5/10 performance on Saturday for me. Bar that beautiful cross in the first half that Pym managed to parry away I didn't see too much from him to stand out. Like I said, looked like he was lacking fitness to me - perfectly understandable given his recent injured past.

Also, considering his loan runs out on the 2nd of May and he doesn't seem to believe he'll be available for the play-off matches (should we qualify for them), I'd sooner rely on a player that is guaranteed to be available (injury permitting) and get Mellor back to form.

C

Cobi Budge.

Hmm, I see what you mean in the second paragraph.

I'm a fan though, a big fan, the reason being it's been quite a while since we had a first team starter who can send in quality crosses, with both feet as well.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Cox for Lee considering the opposition we're up against. If we were playing someone garbage I'd be inclined more towards picking Norburn or Blizzard.

Sep 8, 2013
Coming for this one. Should be a great game. Difficult to say whether it should be Cox, Norburn or Blizzard for Lee. Otherwise unchanged side. I think a 2-1 win in front of an enthusiastic crowd. I hope so anyway.