Wilf Carter in the Herald | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Wilf Carter in the Herald

Sep 26, 2009
Plymouth
Wilf Carter leads the way in Plymouth Argyle's list of hat-trick heroes
Reuben Reid scored a hat-trick in Argyle's 3-1 win at Exeter City
The prolific Wilf Carter grabbed three goals in a game on seven occasions for the Pilgrims between December 1957 and October 1962.

That's why this period for me was the best ever at Home Park and as far as I'm concerned it will never be matched, along with this the goals scored by Jimmy Gauld alongside Wilf made for exciting times for the fans, RIP to them both.

Jul 15, 2011
Nicw to have a good msg on here from what must be onenof our more mature pasoti members

Good on you. Must have been great times...good team and big crowds...

Cheers
(Posted from Hanoi...)

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
Err, I don't think I said it was. The o/p mentioned that Wilf grabbed three goals in a game on seven occasions - I was just pointing out that he did it (with two goals to spare) in an eighth.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":iasuaq2b said:
GreensOnScreen":iasuaq2b said:
A reminder of a rather buried GoS page, which includes all hat-tricks: http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/sv-achievements.asp

In fact Wilf scored 8 hat-tricks because he scored 5 in one game, on 27 Dec 1960, one of the many 6-4 results against Charlton.

Five isn't a double hat trick though unless you mean that the Herald didn't count the five
They'm bleddy good at maths up London innum bheys?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
The day Wilf scored five he wore the number nine shirt, something he did very few times. In those days the shirt was very much allied to the position in the team. Wilf normally wore the eight shirt and played at inside right. The nine was for the centre forward. The day before he scored his five Argyle had lost 6-4 at Charlton. After the game at the Valley the two teams travelled together by train to Totnes and both teams stayed at the Seymour Hotel, owned by the chairman of the day Ron Blindell. At dinner that night Blindell put pressure on Argyle trainer (and at the time joint manager with Neil Dougall) to drop Carter who the chairman felt was "jaded". Taylor refused, always a risky business with Blindell, but his job was made easier when centre forward George Kirby reported in injured from the day before. Johnny Brown, a young inside forward from Wadebridge was called up for his debut and Wilf took Kirby's place at centre forward. Johnny Brown's first pass in the Football League sent Wilf his way to history.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
And after looking it up I find that Wilf's first hatrick for Argyle was also the first time he wore the number nine - in a 5-2 FA Cup win over Dorchester on 7/12/57. It was the first step towards his 10 FA Cup goals, a record that still stands today.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
And after looking it up I find that Wilf's first hatrick for Argyle was also the first time he wore the number nine - in a 5-2 FA Cup win over Dorchester on 7/12/57. It was the first step towards his 10 FA Cup goals, a record that still stands today.

Oct 24, 2010
It's sad that virtually all our record achejvments are over fifty years ago. Very much highlights how much we have underachieved as a club and that our best days are surely in front of us.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
esmer":3g7cs8ro said:
It's sad that virtually all our record achejvments are over fifty years ago. Very much highlights how much we have underachieved as a club and that our best days are surely in front of us.

It is certainly time to claw your way back up. The natural level has fallen to firmly in the third tier but that can be found in the coming months and from there this club can climb again. It wont be easy and I read many opinions on here expecting it too quickly but the slide is over and there is only one direction now.

Feb 15, 2005
Plymouth
I also have very fond memories of those days and could real of several good players of that period, which would have to include Jonny Williams. However, The days of Mariner and Rafferty would better or at least be on a Par. Dave Smiths period is also worthy of mention. I doubt I'll ever see those sort of times again in my lifetime. Have to hope for at least some better times ahead as the last 6 years have been painful.
:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: