Decent team, not a promotion team! | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Decent team, not a promotion team!

Mar 14, 2009
Before I get accused of being a drama queen, I think argyle have improved. That there is no doubt. Yet too many times in home games I have seen we lack real quality. There is being a drama queen and being so stubborn and unrealistic about your own team.

Even if this team were to scrape the playoffs they wouldn't win the playoffs because a good, passing team would find them out.

Last two home games have highlighted the issues with play 3-5-2 at home. Against a good passing possesion based team they will pin argyle back and it will be like play a 5-3-2 at home. They will work the ball from side to side and often have wide midfielders or wingers who cross lots of balls into the box.

Here are just a few things that frustrate or will prevent us from winning promotion.

1.) 3-5-2 is the only system argyle can play. When we need to adapt within a game situation we don't have the manager who can implement this or any wide midfielders or wingers to play this system. Here we are in league two and it's all about crossing in this league and set pieces and we don't have any of these type of players in our club.

2). Bobby Reid. I know a lot of people like him and the guy has talent in terms of pace and energy but his final ball is woeful. In fact his all round end product isn't good. He hardly shoots with conviction but most amarmingly is his crosses. Terrible set pieces say nine out of 10 times. You can't win promotion in this league if you can't do well from set pieces. You look today how bury whipped the ball in from all angles with conviction and quality. Bobby Reid just loops them in time and time again. For such an important role he has in the team he flatters to deceive.

This then brings me to my next point nicely......

3). The manager. You can't get away from it but Sherdian decision making just lets him down. He keeps allowing Bobby Reid to take the set pieces and while you do that you might as well hand the ball back to the opposition. He makes unbelievable "curve" ball decisions which you never see coming and think that's that about eg today with mellor being played up front when you could of played Banton there instead of out wide.

He has been here for over two years and has never got to implement, with any success, any system well that contains a back four. He has managed to create a squad with no wide men. If plan A doesn't work and we fall behind the stats tell us he doesn't have a Plan B to get us back in the game.

In simple terms he makes glaring errors of judgement too many times and if he does eventually rectify it eg mchugh from left back to centre back it will take months for the penny to drop or he will stumble in that decision.

You might not agree with me but for me the facts speak for themselves. Argyle aren't good enough or ready to take on the promotion teams around them. Should they sneak in the playoffs they will get beaten by the better teams. They just don't have the extra spark or sprinkling of quality from either the teams style of play or the manager tactical house

Disappointed and gutted, but just being a realistic argyle fan from what I see in front of me.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Majority of the players have had experience of playing in league 1 or have experienced getting promoted out of this league. I think the team is there but the man making the decisions is holding them back.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Steve.PAFC2012":1txa6612 said:
Majority of the players have had experience of playing in league 1 or have experienced getting promoted out of this league. I think the team is there but the man making the decisions is holding them back.

There is a world of difference between a collection of experienced players and a team. Bury were a team, had flair players too. :sad:

Mar 23, 2008
I think we have a team capable if promotion but not a manager, today being an example where up against a decent side a manager earns his corn.

Sep 2, 2008
We need to get our heads straight real soon. The next two games are crucial in my mind. If Stevenage and Northampton gain points on us then confidence may be affected. If that happens then who knows where we'll end up.

G

Greenskin

Deacster":340rfjjv said:
I think we have a team capable if promotion but not a manager, today being an example where up against a decent side a manager earns his corn.

Strange logic,considering that Sheridan has already won a promotion from this division. And presumably the managers of Shrewsbury, Wycombe ,Southend and Luton didn't "earn their corn" when they were beaten by Argyle this season?

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
IJN":grj94glp said:
I think this team IS capable of winning promotion.

Dont think many would agree with you today after watching that performance.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
oddball":20wlutnw said:
IJN":20wlutnw said:

I based my comment on all the games I have seen this season not just one of them.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
IJN":271bfzqt said:
oddball":271bfzqt said:
IJN":271bfzqt said:

I based my comment on all the games I have seen this season not just one of them.

I too base my comments on what I have seen this season, and what was another woeful home display this afternoon.That was rubbish.The league table doesn't lie and once again we have fallen out of the play offs.How people can say "We are Going Up" weren't probably there today.As the OP said. ...we have a decent team but its not a promotion team...

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
You can keep on saying it all you want, I don't agree.

Stop being so Cyprus Alan.