Starnes On Loan Players | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Starnes On Loan Players

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Reading Starnes latest comments on the loss of the loan system in 15-16 I really do despair, If we are going to struggle then how on earth are Accrington, York etc going to manage?

We have gates of 6-7000 and once the debt payments come down we should have at least twice the budget these clubs have to play with in this league.

I also wonder if it may make wages cheaper for clubs like us because I cant see the Larger clubs keeping players in development teams if they cant loan them out they will have to make decisions earlier and the release the ones who are not going to cut it in the championship / Premier. I cant imagine O'Connor having as many a two or 3 year contract at Blackburn if he wasn't allowed out on loan to us , Torquay and Burton can you? His wage demands may be a bit less then if the choice is league one or get another Job

When this comes in we should be able to take our natural place amongst the big boys of the lower leagues in my opinion
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Argyle- ... story.html?

G

Greenskin

Argyle were reliant on loans to a certain extent even in the CCC days-people like Blackstock, Dodd, Ward, Jarrett, Gallagher, Sinclair, Martin ,Gallen, etc all played important roles in the relative success that the club enjoyed. Makes you think actually what would happen should Argyle get back there and the loan system is no longer available. Bring through your own young players? In an ideal world yes, but then most of the good ones in this day and age seem to be snapped up at an early age by the bigger clubs. Heavy investment in both revenue producing facilities and class players signed on a permanent basis? Hopefully but not holding my breath. Interesting point about players like O'Connor, possibly that could be an avenue to be explored.Transfer windows are a lot of nonsense anyway IMHO and it's surprising that nobody has ever challenged the freedom of labour issue, although seeing as the system is heavily biased towards the bigger and richer clubs who are able to stock their squads at will in the summer months, then maybe it isn't that astonishing. Ah well lets get to league 1 first and see what happens.

KCJ

Nov 23, 2011
My understanding of this change is that it is to do with the restricting of emergency loans rather than loans overall.
In theory this should lead to better planning of player use throughout the season and perhaps more importantly encourage the use and development of talent already on the books rather than phoning a friend for help whenever the team hits obstacles with form / injuries etc.
The current system has been used to great effect at Argyle this year where , ( whatever everyone`s opinions about our own squads abilities) many of our own lads have had very little opportunity to get a game as loanee`s have been the prefered option.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Yep, it's the emergency loan system which is deemed against the rules. Signing loan players in the two designated transfer windows is unaffected.