What now for our youth system? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

What now for our youth system?

Apr 4, 2004
Is there ant future for our academy? It seems that there is no chance of making it to the first team with Argyle. Even if you are as talented as Luke Young, River Allen. Tyler Harvey & Ben Purrington and Bentley can't get a sniff even though they have done very little wrong.

How are the lads in the system supposed to remain motivated when it seems a near certainty that years of dedication will be utterly wasted. How can Argyle expect the parents of youngsters to choose us over our rivals. When just up the road Exeter are using their youngsters, and benefiting from it too. Are the best local lads and parents going to choose Plymouth over Exeter. I can't see that they will. Surely they will go where they see that the production line works. It doesn't here anymore.

Argyle, I think you are missing an opportunity here. We used to be no 1 for youth development locally. A combination of us taking our eye off the ball and our rivals really stepping up their game has seen that change. We are letting ourselves down, as well letting down the lads, their parents and football down with this approach.

P

pafcstafford

Every player you just mentioned has had first team opportunities at argyle and on loan and a massive opportunity in training with the first team on a daily basis.

And tyler has been offered an extension to his contract, rooney and hall offered professional deals and now sheridan has sorted what he called criminal in that young players will play regular competitive all season.

For God's sake I'm not exactly a massive sheridan fan he has faults but this youth don't get a chance Pasoti fact is just rubbish.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
19 and 20 year olds are left in the cold if they are not good enough for the first team. They should be with their development coaches..... but there is no U21 section of the academy. This needs rectifying because not every youngster is ready at 18 and those that are will at some stage need to take a step down before moving forward again.

P

pafcstafford

That's sort of right i think... Seem to remember sheridan thinking it was ridiculous that there was no what we used to call reserve football when he first arrived but looks like that situation has now been sorted. Not perfect but better than it was.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
There is no reserve team football anywhere now (not as we used to know it anyway). Most clubs use the U21 development league and it's over age allowances to their best advantage

Mar 25, 2007
Think the Elite Player Performance Plan scuppered any chance of youth development paying its way as it allows any club to poach the best academy players for peanuts.

P

pafcstafford

Lundan Cabbie":1k3xglte said:
There is no reserve team football anywhere now (not as we used to know it anyway). Most clubs use the U21 development league and it's over age allowances to their best advantage

I'm referring to us entering a Argyle eleven into three south Western peninsula league which will effectively be our u21

Apr 4, 2004
Evilpilgrim":z11hd8a6 said:
Think the Elite Player Performance Plan scuppered any chance of youth development paying its way as it allows any club to poach the best academy players for peanuts.

Agree but I would think that some decent money is still there to be made selling the best prospects on to big academies. If we can get them to a level where they are saleable assets. But don't forget that they don't have to go. The player and their parents are able to choose to stay with Argyle if they think that's what's best for their development. I can't imagine too many turning down that type of move at the moment with opportunities here being so limited for youngsters.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
pafcstafford":2d6o2vdr said:
Lundan Cabbie":2d6o2vdr said:

I'm referring to us entering a Argyle eleven into three south Western peninsula league which will effectively be our u21

As long as it isn't just a match day occasion. It might give them much needed games but there also needs to be day to day development leading up to these games. It wont be a great help if they are with the first team squad during the week and then slope off play in these "reserve" games. We'll have to wait and see how they set it up.

P

pafcstafford

ming the merciless":u46jqoix said:
Evilpilgrim":u46jqoix said:

Agree but I would think that some decent money is still there to be made selling the best prospects on to big academies. If we can get them to a level where they are saleable assets. But don't forget that they don't have to go. The player and their parents are able to choose to stay with Argyle if they think that's what's best for their development. I can't imagine too many turning down that type of move at the moment with opportunities here being so limited for youngsters.

We have no say in what we get paid it's a total con

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
pafcstafford":2ykn5ezo said:
ming the merciless":2ykn5ezo said:
Evilpilgrim":2ykn5ezo said:

We have no say in what we get paid it's a total con

Its not a con. Clubs are compensated if youngsters move to an academy that has a higher standing and if that kid turns out to be the next Wayne Rooney, the original club gets a sizable income which they never would have received before

Apr 4, 2004
Well I have to say I also think its a stitch up by the big clubs. But in return they put a lot of money in to lower league academies. You could view that as an advance on any promising players. Even with the compo set at low levels, is it not possible that a club like ours could still do fairly well by stepping up our youth development activities, improve the training, increase the hours and possibly sell on a couple a year to the big boys. That itself could generate a couple of hundred grand a year. With the possibility of one being the next Rooney and generating big money. But more importantly make our academy the one that west country lads want to come to. I don't think that is the case at the moment

Mar 18, 2014
Out of interest, how many of the young players released over the years have gone on to bigger and better things? Not many I'll wager................mostly they are not good enough and the coaching team will see this day in-day out, or they may have the skills but have a P poor attitude.

Aug 12, 2011
I'm guessing none have gone on to bigger and better things, but why you have to ask yourself?

What do the premier league clubs, championship clubs etc give them that we don't.....?

Guessing due to lack of funds we lack for 9-21s
quality coaches (not slandering, but would guess more money brings better coaches),
facilities, training and games called off in winter months
gym facilities
medical facilities
competitive football, tournament football home and in Europe (except Milk cup),
futsal,
4G
Strength and conditioning programmes.
Summer football. Mates son in a premiership academy and plays through Summer.

As Arsene Wenger said...'If you want your daughter to play the piano the best, you take her to the best piano teacher'

Apr 30, 2011
I've said this before but under the current strucure all of our best young players will leave before reaching first team level. We will be left with the best of the rest. That is not meant in disrespect to our young players but the players that should be coming through now are at Southampton (Gallagher, Stephens and I think there was another), Liverpool Lloyd-Jones) and Brighton (Walton). I'm sure there are others I have missed. Had just those 5 players still been here then they would all have been around the first team squad. IMHO, the best way forward is pick up 16 or 18 year olds released by bigger clubs (like Nelson) and develop them into first team players.