branston view | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

branston view

Mar 23, 2008
Interesting points especially regarding the manager but then again they are mates and Sheridan has signed him twice so no real surprise.

Mar 23, 2008
NLM FC":cy4iw1nw said:
Mellor right centre back!!!
Sheridan hhe describes as a winner!!!
Indeed doesn't add much credibility does it? Not sure Hartley can be described as the best centre back in the league having been bullied by Holloway in the play offs.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Banton as well? There's talent about the lad I'll grant Brano that but a player who has only made a handful of predominantly sub appearances all season to be in "team of the year" seems ludicrous but I guess that's what happens when you pick a team with wingers from three teams who don't play with wingers.

To me the team he's picked is a bit "my mates and what I would have done better" which for an ex-pro who is trying to build a career in football punditry is pretty much bang on the money of what they all seem to do so he'll go far :greensmile:

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Deacster":2oxmpd4y said:
Interesting points especially regarding the manager but then again they are mates and Sheridan has signed him twice so no real surprise.

So he knows him and his qualities as a manager much better than you or i or any of the posters on here who pontificate on Sheridan's qualities without a shred of evidence. Maybe Branno has a point?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Forest of Dean Green":2dygma15 said:
Deacster":2dygma15 said:

So he knows him and his qualities as a manager much better than you or i or any of the posters on here who pontificate on Sheridan's qualities without a shred of evidence. Maybe Branno has a point?

And then you look at the playoff games?

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Tugboat":3egcvfjp said:
Forest of Dean Green":3egcvfjp said:
Deacster":3egcvfjp said:

And then you look at the playoff games?

Yeah, they were rubbish. But we are fans, so we don't do perspective. As I have said elsewhere, if you are outside the club and know nothing about it, what would you say about Sheridan's record? Kept us in the League when that was looking dodgy, 10th and then play offs? What might you say? Decent manager in a club on the up. Progress. We are too close to this and Sheridan's problem is he is a surly geezer who does not relate well to the fans, and who does get it tactically wrong sometimes. But Branno's words echo McCormick in a scent programme. So it's useful for us to get some other views to offset the poison that gets spewed on here sometimes.

C

Cobi Budge.

Hartley is certainly not the best CB in the league, he's in fact quite overrated by fans, his good organisational skills cloak some big individual errors such as the 2nd and 3rd goals conceded against Wycombe in the first leg, don't get me wrong I like him and he's an important part of the side but both Nelson & McHugh are younger than him and better than him, as well as some other CB's throughout the league.

Now if he said McHugh was the best in the league, I'd probably have to agree.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Cobi Budge.":nshjnm2c said:
Hartley is certainly not the best CB in the league, he's good but both Nelson & McHugh are younger than him and better than him, as well as some other CB's throughout the league.

Now if he said McHugh was the best in the league, I'd probably have to agree.

In terms of talent possibly but I would imagine that both McHugh and Nelson who as you say are still quite young wouldn't have been the same two players they were this season if it weren't for Hartley's leadership. He ran our relatively young defense to the point where it was organised enough to be one of the best in Europe on a like-for-like basis for much of this season, that is a talent that cannot really be measured effectively and for me is still something that both Nelson and McHugh will still be developing despite potentially having the edge over Hartley when it comes to the physical defensive work itself and it showed in his absence the difference he made to our defence, we were a bit all over the place whereas when O'Connor had to fill in for Nelson or McHugh we muddled through.

As it goes I think it will be a miracle if we were able to keep all three of our center halves this summer, we really are blessed and picking just one for team of the year is a tough task. All three are very mature players for their respective ages; I cannot believe McHugh is only 21 and the only reason I know Nelson is still only 21 himself is because he's been here and in our team since he was a real youngster. The same goes for Hartley, amazingly he is only 26-27 years old which when you consider the leadership and organisational skills he possesses is also quite amazing, he runs our defence as Brano and Purse did before him only he's several years their junior, an almost dare I say Paul Wotton type leader.

C

Cobi Budge.

I do agree Ollie and I certainly want to keep our back 3 together, but I was speaking more in terms of talent, in that area Nelson and certainly McHugh are leaps and bounds ahead of Hartley. Hartley need to improve his concentration & distribution, Nelson needs to improve his leadership, McHugh doesn't really need to improve on anything in particular, perfectly rounded defender,

Mar 23, 2008
Forest of Dean Green":3p3z94go said:
Deacster":3p3z94go said:

Maybe he has or maybe he is just talking up his mate as I said. Not sure what point if any you are attempting to make.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Just the first entry makes me question Branno's judgement - "Luke McCormick the most talented goalkeeper – and the best in the Football League by a mile!" The Football League includes the Championship and there are some outstanding goalkeepers there and in League 1. I don't argue that Luke is not a top 'keeper but I think Branno's assessment is way over the top. Putting all 72 clubs together he may well be in the top ten or 12 but certainly not "the best in the Football League by a mile". In our division last year I think it was universally accepted that Bentley was the outstanding goalkeeper, but not by as much as a mile.

Oct 5, 2013
From his radio commentaries, I have found Guy Branston's views to generally be the total opposite of mine, and this looks like no exception