No home pre-season game (update - v Reading U21) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

No home pre-season game (update - v Reading U21)

C

Cobi Budge.

Thread split from Elburton v Argyle thread. Admin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally think it's highly disappointing that we haven't arranged a friendly against opposition of a decent level, let alone the fact we don't have a single friendly at home.

Almost feels as if the club took a couple weeks off & stopped functioning inbetween the play off exit and Sheridan leaving.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
I'm sure they are trying Cobi. The manager's appointment was priority and rightly so.

C

Cobi Budge.

monkeywrench":3p37cz76 said:
I'm sure they are trying Cobi. The manager's appointment was priority and rightly so.

We shouldn't have to pick one or the other to focus on though.

Pre season matches can be arranged without a manager in place. We are probably the only L2 club currently without a game against league opposition.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
In an ideal world. But putting everything into finding the right manager (who would want a say in who we play) is far more important than playing a Southampton reserve side or whatever.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Cobi, many of the current friendlies were arranged before Adams took charge, so clearly whatever staff it was that was in charge of organising these actually was working fairly hard to get those organised. Its a shame that we haven't got a profile match sorted, but convincing a larger club to bother travelling down to Plymouth can't be easy. We've been fortunate in recent seasons, either Warnock does his tour of the South West or Swansea came down to the SW last season and also played Exeter. If no side is doing that I doubt they'll go out of their way to come to us, so praps we've got to accept that there won't be a home fixture this year and go off and find another club. Bristol City would probably be a decent one, have they organised all their preseason fixtures yet?

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
It is truly shocking that we've so far proved incapable of bringing a Football League side to Home Park for a friendly. We'll scrape 2-1 wins over Elburton and Bath though and that's evidence we'll be ready to compete for promotion this season. :facepalm:

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Pre-season games are sometimes arranged months in advance regardless of who the manager is or isn't. He would just want a good workout against league opposition for a home game, as long as the team is League One and above.
Pre-season games come with a lot of cost, especially insurance.

Bristol City have a spare weekend on August 1 and 2, that would seem to be our only likely and free date anyway.
Cardiff and Bournemouth are playing in the South West this summer and Aston Villa are at Swindon.

I still think we'll have a home game but we are cutting it fine.

Nov 2, 2004
Amatuer is the only way to describe it.We are not a Conferance North club.Playing no league standard clubs home or away WTF.We will have a new squad how are they to be tested?Even if our powers are unable to get a home league club,at least get one away.

Aug 5, 2005
From this interview with Adams yesterday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33345203

Plymouth's pre-season programme currently includes eight warm-up games, though all are away from Home Park against lower league opposition.
"We're still to add some games to that - I think they're working behind the scenes to organise the additional games that are needed," Adams said.
"They have been dealing with certain clubs and it would obviously be nice to get a home fixture before the start of the season.

Nov 2, 2004
spowell92":37m662s5 said:
Cobi, many of the current friendlies were arranged before Adams took charge, so clearly whatever staff it was that was in charge of organising these actually was working fairly hard to get those organised. Its a shame that we haven't got a profile match sorted, but convincing a larger club to bother travelling down to Plymouth can't be easy. We've been fortunate in recent seasons, either Warnock does his tour of the South West or Swansea came down to the SW last season and also played Exeter. If no side is doing that I doubt they'll go out of their way to come to us, so praps we've got to accept that there won't be a home fixture this year and go off and find another club. Bristol City would probably be a decent one, have they organised all their preseason fixtures yet?

I doubt they had to work very hard to get the current list of friendlies.A quick phone call,they will all be more than happy to play a league side.Work hard really,if they had worked hard we may have been better organised.My understanding is Adams is unimpressed with the situation.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Getting a higher league club to play a PSF at home park usually entails a bit of the old boys network and incumberant managers using their contacts. Sadly, as this has not yet happened this pre season I wonder if the outgoing John Sheridan used this as the final way to stick two fingers up the the people of Plymouth.

Jun 8, 2014
Ade the green":23s9jj5k said:
Getting a higher league club to play a PSF at home park usually entails a bit of the old boys network and incumberant managers using their contacts. Sadly, as this has not yet happened this pre season I wonder if the outgoing John Sheridan used this as the final way to stick two fingers up the the people of Plymouth.

Wait so you think Sheridan arranged Swansea at home last season? And that this year he knew he was leaving so as an emphatic act of revenge (for nothing) he sabotaged any chance of a home friendly?

What a truly bizarre thing that must be to get accused of.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Paven":3gjh1kcf said:
Ade the green":3gjh1kcf said:

Wait so you think Sheridan arranged Swansea at home last season? And that this year he knew he was leaving so as an emphatic act of revenge (for nothing) he sabotaged any chance of a home friendly?

What a truly bizarre thing that must be to get accused of.

All tongue firmly in cheek I can assure you.