Anybody else having flashbacks... | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Anybody else having flashbacks...

Not in the too distant past, a wee shrewd man came down fae Scotland! Signed a lot of Scottish unknowns and a player who spent the previous season injured (Brian McGlinchy)...leap forward to 2015 and a wee, shrewd man came down fae Scotland signed a few Scottish unknowns and a player who spent most of last season injured (Josh Simpson)...leap back again to the 1st encounter with Paul Sturrock..who took the club to winning the Division 3 Championship and played a massive part in winning the Division 2 Championship just 2 seasons later..could history repeat itself with another canny Scot..Yes Please!! Time to get behind this sleeping giant as it rises from the ashes to make an assault on L2 under Derek Adams... :scarf: :scarf:

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
I was thinking more the Shilton era. Exciting attacking players.

Mar 14, 2009
Let's remember every season in L2 there are more available good free transfers. So whilst we have signed one or two real quality additions (it seems) so will other teams.

That whether you accept it or not we didn't have a giant of a football club like Portsmouth in this league, who despite their financial plight have more financial pulling power than other clubs in this league. They are in a false position and sooner or later will get their act together.

There are also teams like Leyton Orient who only two years ago were fighting for championship status who will have some decent players still in their squad.

I'm not dampening down expections, as a top 7 finish could be achievable again but winning the title this year may just be over stretching things.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Laido":1cdj1s9x said:
Time to get behind this sleeping giant as it rises from the ashes to make an assault on L2 under Derek Adams... :scarf: :scarf:

When was it that this so called sleeping giant nodded off? Fair play in getting excited and optimistic but Argyle are no Leeds United or Sheffield Wednesday.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Metal_Green_Mickey":1n69o90f said:
There are also teams like Leyton Orient who only two years ago were fighting for championship status who will have some decent players still in their squad.
True but from what their fans are saying they are all over the place financially and will do very well to go up this season.

Jun 14, 2004
Saltash
Lundan Cabbie":tgfe2ne4 said:
Laido":tgfe2ne4 said:
Time to get behind this sleeping giant as it rises from the ashes to make an assault on L2 under Derek Adams... :scarf: :scarf:

When was it that this so called sleeping giant nodded off? Fair play in getting excited and optimistic but Argyle are no Leeds United or Sheffield Wednesday.
Too right and Palace are no Liverpool or Manchester United,
:D

G

Greenskin

Lundan Cabbie":illg7w06 said:
Laido":illg7w06 said:

Mr saaaaaaaaarf laaaaaaaaaandoner pipes up again. Soon be time for you to re-educated us about the catchment area which apparently is smaller than Barnets in spite of a city with a population of 250k and 1m other people within 90 minutes drive. When did the giant nod off? From it's birth actually. Doesn't mean to say that it has shuffled off this mortal coil though. Nobody is suggesting that Argyle are the same size as Leeds or Sheffield Wednesday and it shows a lack of understanding on your part to suggest it in the first place. Go and make yourself useful about something, like staging a one man protest about the price of beer and pies at Palace, should think the GDP of their catering must outstrip the Greeks by now.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
Greenskin":2derngdn said:
Lundan Cabbie":2derngdn said:
Laido":2derngdn said:

Mr saaaaaaaaarf laaaaaaaaaandoner pipes up again. Soon be time for you to re-educated us about the catchment area which apparently is smaller than Barnets in spite of a city with a population of 250k and 1m other people within 90 minutes drive. When did the giant nod off? From it's birth actually. Doesn't mean to say that it has shuffled off this mortal coil though. Nobody is suggesting that Argyle are the same size as Leeds or Sheffield Wednesday and it shows a lack of understanding on your part to suggest it in the first place. Go and make yourself useful about something, like staging a one man protest about the price of beer and pies at Palace, should think the GDP of their catering must outstrip the Greeks by now.

To be fair I'd agree with LC, those clubs could be considered sleeping "giants", clubs who have (or certainly had) the potential to rival the best in England. I'd say we were more of a sleeping above average height person, rather than giant. :D

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
I've seen Dereks teams play pretty often, and if I was to compare it to any previous manager it would be the style of football we played under Holloway. Dereks teams are very attack minded and attractive to watch.

Jan 3, 2013
My late father took me to my first match in 1961 and said "sleeping giant". 54 years later I say the same to my grandchildren.........
It ain't going to happen guys, I still fancy us for the top three along with Pompey and OXFORD mind!

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
RichieB":269tak6d said:
Lundan Cabbie":269tak6d said:
Laido":269tak6d said:

Too right and Palace are no Liverpool or Manchester United,
:D

Where did I even mention Palace?

I am proud that I support a small club and so should the Green Army be without making out they are something they never have been. Argyle and Palace are of similar size except of late, we have fallen on our feet after being just minutes from extinction just five years ago. I certainly would never compare us with Liverpool or Manchester United.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Argyle-sy":lmz2esch said:
I've seen Dereks teams play pretty often, and if I was to compare it to any previous manager it would be the style of football we played under Holloway. Dereks teams are very attack minded and attractive to watch.
I'm going to not have to give the Junior DRF as many sweets to keep them excited this season then Sy! :thumbs:

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
LG":2w0mzcs7 said:
Argyle-sy":2w0mzcs7 said:
I'm going to not have to give the Junior DRF as many sweets to keep them excited this season then Sy! :thumbs:

I think the style of football will definitely excite the fans and put a few extra bums on seats. I have a sneaky feeling that we are going to do really well this season, the feelgood factor around the club right now reminds me of the times under Holloway as well.