One year deals | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

One year deals

30green

Like many others I'm impressed with the signings we've made up til now. However I'm wondering why are we now only giving players 1 year deals? If we have a good season and get ourselves promoted I'm sure most will stay, but if we have an average / poor season any player that's had a good individual season will be snapped up by someone else.

Surely if you're saying someone is good enough to play for your team u should back them with a 2 or 3 year deal?

Jul 12, 2011
Mountwise Plymouth
30green":925hi3u4 said:
Like many others I'm impressed with the signings we've made up til now. However I'm wondering why are we now only giving players 1 year deals? If we have a good season and get ourselves promoted I'm sure most will stay, but if we have an average / poor season any player that's had a good individual season will be snapped up by someone else.

Surely if you're saying someone is good enough to play for your team u should back them with a 2 or 3 year deal?

I think it's very shrewd in the current climate with footballers, with having a 1 year deal they may feel they have to get that extra 10% to get a new deal. With so many footballers being available these days on free transfers if the season doesn't work out then they can be released without the worry of another 1/2 years on their deals. Its more of a buyers market in the lower leagues with so many players available the players may feel they have to take a deal when its on the table.

Nov 11, 2012
Keyham
Watching Sky sports news nearly all of the League 2 transfer deals has been on one year deals so I think it is the norm in this division now.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
If things are working out there's no problem with offering a player a revised contract in November.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
The great thing with the one year deal is it as near win-win as the club can get. If the signing doesn't work then your losses are limited. If the player turns out to be outstanding then there is nothing to stop re-negotiating a new and longer deal. What a club cannot do is shorten a deal once they realise the player is not up to the mark.

Sep 23, 2003
location, location.
The downside to 1 year deals comes if a team is hovering round the play-offs. Would players who are nearing the end of the contract give that extra 10% to try and win the play-offs, get promoted (and earn their new deal with their existing club) or give 90% as they are at the end of their contract and don't wish to risk a serious injury which would prevent them from signing for someone / anyone the following season.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I guess to entice players to sign a one year contract they are loaded with incentives, clauses and bonuses.

Extra money if promotion is achieved, trigger points throughout the season for extra money if the team is in the top seven and an option to extend a contract if a certain amount of games are played by a player?

It might be a short contract that pushes a player to do well within the team and be rewarded.
One or two players may drop by the wayside which isn't too much of a problem because they would only be on a short contract. So it's a calculated gamble to offer just one year.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
I would imagine (or hope) that there's an option for the club to extend the contract at the end of the season, like they did with Hartley this year in the new contracts.

S

Sam Phillips

A good example is Northampton signing o'toole on a 3 year contract this time last year, then 3 months later desperately trying to get rid of him.

S

Sam Phillips

Sam Pocock":3cfsytci said:
A good example is Northampton signing o'toole on a 3 year contract this time last year, then 3 months later desperately trying to get rid of him.

They've also signed another midfielder on a 3 yr deal this summer, when will they learn.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Sam Pocock":g2jqyrnl said:
Sam Pocock":g2jqyrnl said:

They've also signed another midfielder on a 3 yr deal this summer, when will they learn.
Probably when they go into administration and realise they still have to pay some useless footballer everything he is due on that contract, while local tradesman and the city council get a derisory 0.07p in the pound.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
They can't do a 0.07p in the pound any more. The rules have changed.

Feb 21, 2011
Andy_Tall":rhxuc1g8 said:
The downside to 1 year deals comes if a team is hovering round the play-offs. Would players who are nearing the end of the contract give that extra 10% to try and win the play-offs, get promoted (and earn their new deal with their existing club) or give 90% as they are at the end of their contract and don't wish to risk a serious injury which would prevent them from signing for someone / anyone the following season.
I'd imagine being a winner at Wembley is the pinnacle for a lower league footballer, certainly looks better on a cv than squad player in a mid table league two side.