Local Pre-Season Friendlies | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Local Pre-Season Friendlies

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Does anybody like me, think it odd that Argyle are apparently only taking a 'Development' squad to Truro City on July 29th, yet on the other hand they seem to be taking a 'First Team' squad to Bideford on July 18th, when Truro is the stronger opposition in a higher league?

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
By the 29th an Argyle 'Development' squad will be a good game against Truro, whereas one would hope that a full Argyle squad would give them a beating - not great for either team in terms of pre-season benefit. Bideford on 18th is much more of a kick-about for fitness and the strength of the opposition doesn't matter. It will give Argyle the chance to play together - same for Bideford.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Mark Pedlar":2v4r2pgc said:
By the 29th an Argyle 'Development' squad will be a good game against Truro, whereas one would hope that a full Argyle squad would give them a beating - not great for either team in terms of pre-season benefit. Bideford on 18th is much more of a kick-about for fitness and the strength of the opposition doesn't matter. It will give Argyle the chance to play together - same for Bideford.

I can take in what you say, but I recall the sunny Saturday when Reid brought a First Team squad to Truro and struggled to win. The stand out part was a tremendous lob by a former Scottish player, who subsequently gave Harvey Smith signs to home supporters at Home Park. He could not have left much of a long impression as his name is now forgotten, ho ho!

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Quintrell_Green":u67i0xmf said:
Mark Pedlar":u67i0xmf said:

I can take in what you say, but I recall the sunny Saturday when Reid brought a First Team squad to Truro and struggled to win. The stand out part was a tremendous lob by a former Scottish player, who subsequently gave Harvey Smith signs to home supporters at Home Park. He could not have left much of a long impression as his name is now forgotten, ho ho!

True but my recollection was that that game was the equivalent of the Bideford game this year in terms of time in pre-season. Take us down 2 leagues and there you have it - very similar.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
We sent an Argyle XI away to Truro last season and got spanked. Haven't we had quite a few players pick up injuries against them too? Lowry and Lecointe come to my mind?

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
As far as I'm aware Truro are our second strongest opponents all preseason behind Torquay and we're only taking a development squad, I'm not sure of the thinking behind that. Even in the Championship we took down our first team and Truro always gave us a good game. Why in the last few years have Truro been relegated to playing our development side.

For me living in Cornwall it's the only preseason game bar a game against some serious opposition at Home Park that I'd consider attending but having seen a development team game against Truro last year I won't be going again. Why not let the firsts play against a decent team like Truro and send the development team to a numpty team like Bideford or Elburton.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It may have been a case that the Truro game came along before the Torquay game. We committed to the Truro game and then suddenly the Torquay game became available but only for the date a day before the Truro game. So we then agreed to send a first team squad to Torquay and an Argyle IX at Truro.

In fact I'm sure the Truro game was the first pre-season game to be announced and it wasn't mentioned as an Argyle XI at that time.

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
Bideford AFC Are delighted to playing Plymouth Argyle FC 1st Team

Massive day for the football club and we have been arranging events for the Green Army as well as our own supporters

Nothing but high praise for Plymouth Argyle in arranging this pre season fixture

We are very proud to be stage such a great event & looking forward to it

Come & Join us !!! :scarf:

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
PL2 3DQ":1ga64ekv said:
It may have been a case that the Truro game came along before the Torquay game. We committed to the Truro game and then suddenly the Torquay game became available but only for the date a day before the Truro game. So we then agreed to send a first team squad to Torquay and an Argyle IX at Truro.

In fact I'm sure the Truro game was the first pre-season game to be announced and it wasn't mentioned as an Argyle XI at that time.

In terms of negotiating I would have expected both Torquay and Truro to be willing to swap the date around to play Argyle's first team; certainly at Truro it's the difference between getting a decent attendance of Cornish Greens or not.

It's a shame because I know a few people who would go if it was the first team but last year by development team it really was just our youth team, I don't even think the likes of Harvey played.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Ollieargyle9":3vj9vozt said:
PL2 3DQ":3vj9vozt said:

In terms of negotiating I would have expected both Torquay and Truro to be willing to swap the date around to play Argyle's first team; certainly at Truro it's the difference between getting a decent attendance of Cornish Greens or not.

It's a shame because I know a few people who would go if it was the first team but last year by development team it really was just our youth team, I don't even think the likes of Harvey played.
This was the line up;

James Bittner (Andrew Hannah h/t); Mason Hughes, Aaron Bentley, Paul Wotton (Tom Moxham 63 mins), Ben Purrington; Nathan Thomas, River Allen (Jake Miller 66 mins), Tyler Harvey (Ben Steer 66 mins), Jamil Roberts; Marvin Morgan, Louis Rooney (Jason Vincent 63 mins).

We lost 5-1, Harvey scoring for us.