First Five Games | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

First Five Games

Aug 5, 2005
So the first five games are....

Wimbledon A
Pompey H
Carlisle H
Northampton A
Newport H

Having seen us so far in pre season, how many points should we have after five games?

Dec 2, 2005
London
Quizmike":q2hvqscw said:
So the first five games are....

Wimbledon A
Pompey H
Carlisle H
Northampton A
Newport H

Having seen us so far in pre season, how many points should we have after five games?

7. Hopefully more but it's a tricky start; especially the first two.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
We are notoriously slow starters. We haven't won our first league game of the season since dropping into League Two, the last time we won the first game was 2010-2011 when we beat Southampton, we ended up relegated!

The last time we won our first two league games of the new season was 1978-1979!!

I'll say 7 points from the first five games, mainly because three of them are at home.
It would make a big difference and continue the feelgood factor if we started the season by beating Wimbledon and Pompey.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Wimbledon A W 2-1
Pompey H D 1-1
Carlisle H D 2-2
Northampton A W 3-1
Newport H L 2-1

Sep 8, 2013
I would reverse the above Northampton & Newport results. Have the feeling Northampton will be the stronger of those two sides this season.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
PL2 3DQ":1h0w66r1 said:
We are notoriously slow starters. We haven't won our first league game of the season since dropping into League Two, the last time we won the first game was 2010-2011 when we beat Southampton, we ended up relegated.

Relegated owing to the club being financial cheats, not because of its wins and draws total.

The feelgood of the complete unknown will pass alas,; points tallies are for the league officials to tot up at the end of the season, but two home wins would be a decent achievement once the oh so encouraging talk stops and we start playing fellow pro football teams.

C

Cobi Budge.

Just worry that with a slow start the fans will be quickly on the managers back and the pasoti cries of "we should have kept Sheridan" will start.

A new manager needs time to implement his ideas. DA will be a long term success (I think), not a short term fix.

For what it's worth, I think we will make an alright start. Nothing spectacular but nothing poor.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Wimbledon D 1-1
Pompey H D 3-3
Carlisle H W 2-1
Northampton A L 2-3
Newport W 3-2

Argyle scores first.

8/15

Banging them in one end, leaking like a sieve the other.

For 11
Against 10

McQ

May 10, 2005
Plymouth
The start of the season is always a dangerous time for over inflating expectations or causing unrest and pressure. Both are usually unfounded. I always think that performances are much more important than results early on. If the results come as well then obviously that is ideal.

Many times teams will rush off getting points but this masks the deficiencies in the team (every team gets a spell where they pick up points but don't play well and essentially get lucky/goalie plays a blinder/opposition plays poorly etc etc) as Graham points out with Cheltenham.

If you are doing the right things, results will usually follow.

Look at the game against Southampton a while back, we got a scrappy goal and the points but we were basically outplayed from beginning to end. The result didn't make us a good team nor Southampton a bad team (as the season showed) but the performance of each on the day gave a clue.

There will always be freak results at the start of the season before it settles down.

One thing that does seem to be determined in the early season though is top goal scorers. I have no specific evidence on this but it does seem that players that have an early goal scoring burst do carry that through the season, irrespective of their team results. What springs to mind is Lee Power; he had a pre-season where he couldn't stop scoring. On the opening day he had a goal disallowed (for offside I think) and I don't think he scored again that season and disappeared, he seemed to lose all the confidence that he had brought into the season.

So I look for us to not lose, reports that we played well (i.e. weren't hanging on) but with some things just not quite clicking, and at least one of the strikers scoring!

Oh and one other thing I look for is how we play in the League Cup. We often play against higher league opposition and if we hold our own(even if we lose) that gives me confidence for the season.

So nothing tangible just a personal opinion...it will soon unfold, but for now we are all in the same boat dreaming that this will be our year!

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Ade the green":1c2w2oua said:
Wimbledon D 1-1
Pompey H D 3-3
Carlisle H W 2-1
Northampton A L 2-3
Newport W 3-2

Argyle scores first.

8/15

Banging them in one end, leaking like a sieve the other.

For 11
Against 10
Don't know about the exact scores but that would be my prediction for the first 5 results. Of course football as it is it will be nothing like that.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Wimbledon W 1-2 (from 1-0 down) - it'd just be typical if we won from behind in Adams' first game in charge.
Portsmouth D 1-1
Carlisle D 2-2
Northampton L 2-0
Newport D 0-0

Could be wrong but I think our frankly mediocre start to last season (7 points from 5 games) was actually our best start to a season since 2006! I'd like to think that we can beat that (3 home games plus Northampton who we have a stonking record against) but there's a nagging doubt that we won't.