Brief Synopsis | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Argyle Paint the City Green! :lol:

Another complete team performance, £7,000 prize money in the bank, a 45% share of the 9,441 attendance, a route into the next round and a laugh at Clinton Morrison, not a bad night's work!

2-0 flattered Exeter, it should have been more, we were better in every department and Craig Tanner filled the boots of Graham Carey so well he wasn't missed.

The only hiccup was one set of floodlights sparking out just as the second half started, luckily a 50p was found and the second half continued.

Adams brought in Simpson and Purrington for the suspended McHugh and Sawyer and gave a night off to Carey and replaced him with Tanner, the same successful 4-2-3-1 formation was kept with Tanner playing the Carey free (care-free?) role.

We meant business from the first whistle, Jervis had two shots saved and Reid had a bullet header brilliantly saved by Olejnik in the Exeter goal from a Wylde cross.

Tanner was causing all sorts of problems for the Exeter defence, he was able to find space and twist and turn and run at the backline. Exeter couldn't cope with our movement and passing, we did look a confident top of the table team.

After all our passing and probing the deserved goal came from a good old fashioned corner. Usually Carey takes all the set-pieces but Tanner took over and floated a corner into the Exeter penalty area and there was Boateng to head in and give us the lead.

Exeter rallied briefly and McCormick pulled off a save from a long range shot by tipping it over the bar.
Still we passed the ball around, from side to side, looking for an opening.
Half time came and the team were cheered off although we only had one goal to show for all our attacking and chances.

The second half was delayed for 15 minutes while one set of floodlights were repaired, the guy in the PA box filled the gap by playing every song related to the word "night".

It seemed we coped better than Exeter with the extended break because we scored a second goal in the 49th minute and it was a thing of beauty.
We cleared an Exeter corner, Hartley played a superb pass to Tanner who was at least 20 yards in his own half, he ran and ran and ran at the Exeter defence, rode two challenges and calmly slotted past the keeper. 2-0 and no more we and Tanner deserved.

After the goal Tydsdale brought on comedy striker Morrison and he duly received loud boos.
Exeter now pushed forward and left huge gaps in defence, often an Exeter attack would break down, we would counter-attack and if we had played the final ball better or crossed instead of shooting we would be talking about a 5-0 scoreline.

Wylde was guilty of racing away but would always choose the wrong option or play a cross between Reid and Jervis.

We comfortably saw out the game with no alarm and the lights stayed on!

Tanner had a fantastic game, Exeter just couldn't handle him or the position he played, if Carey is ever unavailable for league games we have a very good replacement who brings a bit more pace to the team.

The back four were solid, Hartley and Nelson must be the best centre back pairing in League Two and special mention to Purrington who didn't put a foot wrong despite hardly playing first team football this season.

Simpson was neat and tidy and Boateng was again at the heart of everything good, although he and Tanner really tired late in the game.
Up front Reid held the ball up well and did a few of his trademark runs at the Exeter defence, he would collect the ball with his back to goal, turn and run and run, both he and Jervis were a little annoyed at Tanner and Wylde for shooting when they were better placed for a pass.

The ref and his linesmen had very good games.

Overall, on this form our team look unbeatable, not only are they an attacking and entertaining team the players also really work hard.
One day we will really thump someone.

MotM - Tanner.

McCormick 7, Mellor 7, Nelson 8, Hartley 7, Purrington 7, Simspon 7, Boateng 7, Tanner 8, Wylde 7, Jervis 6, Reid 7. Subs - Brunt 6, Cox n/a, T Harvey n/a.

C

Cobi Budge.

Doesn't it feel nice beating those lot? I'll never get bored of it.

2 expected changes, Simpson in for McHugh and Purrington in for Sawyer, the unexpected change, no Carey, Tanner instead took his place at CAM.

The opening exchanges were rather exciting, both keepers forced into making 2 good saves each, Reid & Jervis forcing the saves from the City keeper. We started to take hold of the game a bit more after the 20 minute mark. While not Carey-esc, Tanner's deliveries were quite good, and one fell to Boateng, his header, powered into the roof of the net, 1 0! We continued to cause them problems, Reuben shot just wide while Jervis couldn't quite get the ball from under his feet to shoot, Luke forced into a simple save as the half came to an end.

As the sides came out for the second half, a floodlight failure. The Devonport end floodlight went out, the ref called the players in, to be honest, you could still see no problem. After about 15 minutes the game was re-started (following the lights on phones and Bob Marley singing, where have we seen that before). We were on the front foot early in the half, but Reid began to struggle up top. No matter, Tanner, starting in his own half, sprinted forward, took on 2 Exeter players before slotting in, a beautiful goal which sent HP wild. Luke had to be alert and made 3 good saves to ensure we'd progress, while we tested the City keeper a couple of times also, through Wylde mainly (although he probably should have passed on both occasions).

A very good performance against a side who weren't great, but who were admittedly better than Barnet & Crawley.

Devon is green.

Luke McCormick - 9 - Exceptional, dealt with the expected unpleasantness (the Lyndhurst gave him some great support second half), made some very good stops.

Kelvin Mellor - 7 - A much better performance from Kelvin. Got forward well and defended fairly well.

Curtis Nelson - 8 - Completely solid. Embarked on a few of his trademark runs.

Peter Hartley - 6 - Defensively, again, very good, but I'll keep giving him a six until his distribution improves.

Purrington - 8 - I was a little nervous beforehand, I didn't need to be, he put in a very good performance and allowed nothing past him.

Josh Simpson - 7 - Started poorly but grew into the game. Looks a lot fitter.

Hiram Boateng - 8 - Unsurprisingly very good.

Jake Jervis - 7 - Plenty of pace and skill, decent overall display.

Craig Tanner - 9 - MOTM. He was exceptional at CAM.

Gregg Wylde - 6 - At times very good, at times very poor, an up and down performance from Gregg.

Reuben Reid - 6 - Eight in the first half, four in the second.

:scarf:

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Luke 8

Mellor 6
Nelson 7
Hartley 8
Purrington 8 MOTM

Simpson 8
Boateng 8

Jervis 6
Tanner 8
Wylde 4

Reid 6

All in all, a very strong performance with good interchange and movement going forward, although Wylde's decision making and end product was seriously lacking. He'll still be a real asset off the bench / on the counter attack though. Mostly solid at the back - I though Purrington was a little safe but barely put a foot wrong in all he had to do. I'd still bring Sawyer back for Saturday as he has been so good, but Ben has certainly given Adams something to think about!

Great stuff Argyle. On to Sunday.

O

oakythegreen

My very brief review:

Exeter tried to play the same way as argyle.....but their players just weren't as good

Nov 4, 2012
Excellent performance. Exeter should consider it a victory that they got away with a respectable scoreline. Superb goal from Tanner although the defending was questionable. Also the fact we managed this without our best performer so far this season made it particularly satisfying . All the players that came in did well, Tanner was exceptional, Purrington was excellent and Simpson was solid.

Jul 29, 2010
Glimpses of my long sought 'comfortable possession', City held at arms length for large periods, especially the first half.

Second half was more frustrating. We made them look good at times when by rights they should've been kept at arms length again.

Second goal went to us this time which made the frustration less scary. Might have been missed but an assist for the second goal for Craig Brewster. Just beforehand he came out to point out to Hartley that there was an outlet ball to Wylde available rather than the hoof upfield he dispatched. Seconds later Hartley again won possession in the box and this time he looked up and put Tanner away, the rest is history. Good coaching that :clap:

All round it ended conformably, a good performance. The score would've been more comfortable too if some of our players showed the composure to pass rather than go for a showboat shot, chief culprit Greg Wylde who I thought was awful.

MOM for me was Reuben, absolutely immense.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Wylde very frustrating. Better use of the ball could have had us with 4 or 5. Hartley was immense. Cobi, you need to lighten up a bit with him mate! Boateng assured, Purrington a more than able replacement for Sawyer. Tanners goal btw, absolutely class

Jun 11, 2012
It feels good to be able to comfortably win a game like this having not played brilliantly AND while missing three guaranteed starters. We were good, but nowhere close to being at our best.

Ryan Harley aside, Exeter lack any noticeable quality.

McCormick - 7
Mellor - 6
Nelson - 7
Hartley - 7
Purrington - 7.5
Simpson - 7.5
Boateng - 8
Jervis - 6
Tanner - 8 - MOTM
Wylde - 5
Reid - 6

tonsk

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 19, 2003
Plymouth
www.dastardlys.co.uk
X Isle":2djmp5v5 said:
Glimpses of my long sought 'comfortable possession', City held at arms length for large periods, especially the first half.

Second half was more frustrating. We made them look good at times when by rights they should've been kept at arms length again.

Second goal went to us this time which made the frustration less scary. Might have been missed but an assist for the second goal for Craig Brewster. Just beforehand he came out to point out to Hartley that there was an outlet ball to Wylde available rather than the hoof upfield he dispatched. Seconds later Hartley again won possession in the box and this time he looked up and put Tanner away, the rest is history. Good coaching that :clap:

All round it ended conformably, a good performance. The score would've been more comfortable too if some of our players showed the composure to pass rather than go for a showboat shot, chief culprit Greg Wylde who I thought was awful.

MOM for me was Reuben, absolutely immense.

While it would have been a better option to pass on occasion, I am happy to see players having the confidence to take it on. For the last few seasons, the ball would have been laid off but the receiver would then lay it off again...and again until the chance was gone. A totally different mindset to this set of players.

tonsk

Jun 14, 2004
Saltash
Good performance from the Greens , the later part of the 2 nd half was low key, MOM for me would be Luke or Boateng.
Crowd good in first half but the delay in 2nd half and the fact we were so on top meant it a formality.
Crowd 9,000 yeah right .......
Good evenings work against a very average team.

Aug 11, 2013
One of the finest individual goals I've seen at Home Park for many a long year. To pick that ball up from so deep, carry it that distance, fend off 2 defenders and then coolly slot the ball home. What a goal. What a privilege to have witnessed it. Well done Janner Tanner.

What a great season we're having. Derek Adams deserves a lot of credit for getting us playing attractive football. We're creating loads of chances and scoring goals. Some class players in this team. Simpson had his best game I thought tonight.

I can't wait for the next game ... Haven't felt this positive since the Hollowords era!

C

Cobi Budge.

RichieB":13031lmn said:
Good performance from the Greens , the later part of the 2 nd half was low key, MOM for me would be Luke or Boateng.
Crowd good in first half but the delay in 2nd half and the fact we were so on top meant it a formality.
Crowd 9,000 yeah right .......
Good evenings work against a very average team.

The attendance looked correct to me...

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Comfortable.
Should have been a drubbing.
Tom nicholls is a horrible cheat.
Wylde could be an asset or a flop, I just don't know yet. Great pace. Appalling final delivery.
Simpson and Tanner real plusses given that they were like for like changes for Mchugh and Carey

J

Jimmy75

Think the marks for Wylde are harsh, yes frustrating at times but very effective at turning defence into attack and had the Exeter right back scared stiff! You need to take the rough with the smooth with him.