Next 4 games--- | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Next 4 games---

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
---are very winnable (aren't they all at the moment!). Three at home and away to D & G--50 points before Christmas with an opportunity to strengthen in the January window? Clearly the injuries to key players are a major concern, but we could go into the New Year absolutely roaring!

Feb 22, 2011
Plymouth/Truro
Looking at the fixtures and on current form we shouldn't drop many between now and New year, I know it should be one game at a time but I'd be hoping for us to be going into 2016 with 50 points possibly more but January will be the true test with some tough games in there and the possibility of losing key players

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
PAFC95":md61vss1 said:
Looking at the fixtures and on current form we shouldn't drop many between now and New year, I know it should be one game at a time but I'd be hoping for us to be going into 2016 with 50 points possibly more but January will be the true test with some tough games in there and the possibility of losing key players

Agreed--we need to make hay whilst the sun shines!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
PAFC95":1tqjmhp8 said:
Hopefully the players won't see it this way. Carlisle in the cup was a wake up call. I didn't expect too much from Millwall, even before the Carlisle result was known, but the FA Cup tie showed that to win we have to be at our best against any of the teams in this League.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Orient are the only side in the top half that we will play in the next 7 games - and they're on pretty rotten form, only 2 wins in their last 12 in the league.

I wouldn't take anything less than 14 points from those games. 52 by new year please.

Jul 3, 2013
I can see us picking up maximum points against that lot up the road and bottom of the form table Orient, could they be the third team to sack the manager before playing us this season!

Jul 29, 2010
Lots of confidence and expectation coming out in the above. For once it's perhaps understandable and, if we were any other club, a state of mind to be encouraged.

However WE ARE ARGYLE. Rightly or wrongly, over confidence and over expectation are our kryptonite, our achilles heel :facepalm:

Not saying in the grand scheme of things we shouldn't look at the forthcoming fixtures with confidence. Just observing that it's always been "typical Argo" to defy expectations with unerring and frustrating frequency.

And frustration could play a big part in this period...

To date the atmosphere at HP has been very good, lots of noise, lots of encouragement, it's largely been a joy to watch Argyle. But compare and contrast that with Pompey's home atmosphere lately...knotted with rampant expectation and the consequent frustration they're home patch has become a poisoned cauldron of jittery nervousness, their results have dropped away accordingly.

There's a warning to be heeded from their experience. Expectancy can breed odd atmospheres, nervy environments that can quickly shift to negative environments.

So far this season over expectancy hasn't troubled our door too much, you just need to read some of this thread however to see this forthcoming period provides a danger of it raising it's ugly head again.

For me, the mindset now should not be looking ahead to Christmas and the new year and counting our points tally already. That's truly a fools errand that ignores the peril of expectancy and Argo's history of defying the conventional wisdom in so called 'easy games'.

No, for me there's a very good slogan that we, both as a team and as it's supporters, need to adopt. A slogan that keeps your feet on the ground, keeps your mind focused on the task and stops you losing your head...

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON :cool:

One game at a time we must 'carry on' playing as we've been playing, 'carry on' doing the things what we've been doing ans as fans 'carry on' supporting as loudly and as positively as we've been doing.

Do that and the rest will then take care of itself. The team and the fans have it within themselves to lift each other, to carry each other through.

Don't do that and we could unravel, both the team and the fans also, sadly, have it within themselves to self destruct.

Jul 29, 2010
In fairness GCH, that's probably a far better way round to view things.

'Expect no further points and be pleasantly surprised' is a darn sight more level headed than 'expect 50 points by Christmas'...and thus set yourself up for disappointment if we don't.

One game at a time. It might be a bit boring but then being sensible usually is.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
X Isle":2kzu6mkl said:
In fairness GCH, that's probably a far better way round to view things.

'Expect no further points and be pleasantly surprised' is a darn sight more level headed than 'expect 50 points by Christmas'...and thus set yourself up for disappointment if we don't.

One game at a time. It might be a bit boring but then being sensible usually is.

Sensible is right X, but I don't think anybody is expecting--merely speculating and enjoying the possibility.

Sep 7, 2006
I started attending Argyle almost 30 years ago, and very quickly learned the words 'typical Argyle' from my Dad and Grandad.

Essentially, it's a description of a law which results in Argyle beating better opposition, and losing to worse.

On balance, it's been a very reliable law.

'bleddy 'ell Argyle' is a suitable response when the law is demonstrated.