Why is Jervis still up top? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Why is Jervis still up top?

C

Cobi Budge.

Mystery to me. Despite the two goals, he wasn't great against Millwall, he was poor against Exeter & he was very poor last night.

I like Jervis but his best games have come on the right or the left. If we are going to keep the 4231, Brunt (RR when fit) has to be the lone striker. I say it again, both against Exeter & Orient, it's no coincidence that we've enjoyed more space in and around the opposition box when Brunt has been on, he creates the space which players like Carey & Tanner enjoy.

Wylde to be dropped on Saturday (see him more as an impact player), Jervis on the left, Brunt up top.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
As another poster previously said when Reid is back I would personally go back to 3-5-2 with Reid and Jervis up front with Carey pulling the strings just behind.

Looked quite lethal against Carlisle in August.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I would guess that Adams plays Jervis as a striker because he's the closest player in the squad to Reid and wouldn't disrupt the tactics for the team.

Reid and Jervis are mobile strikers, able to run the channels and pull the opposition centre-backs into the wide areas. Brunt has height and good hold up play but isn't mobile enough compared to Reid and Jervis and will not run the channels. If Brunt does flick on a header who will collect it? Adams likes to get in the wide areas and play from there. Brunt is a good impact sub when the team changes tactics and plays long balls to two strikers.

Does Adams play to the strength of the team or Brunt? With Jervis struggling as the lone striker Adams might start with Brunt in an away game as he did against Luton.

Sep 23, 2005
Because he can be brilliant if he has the ball to run on to when running into space as at York. Trouble is Orient bottled up our midfield and so he was starved of any decent ball.
Brunt is your man if the only ball you can muster is the speculative punt up field and you need someone to make something of battling 50/50s.
I don't think DA was intending to play that game.

C

Cobi Budge.

plymouthboyuk":2neaveuy said:
Mellor, now Jervis, whose next to be slagged off on this site.

What a weird comment.

If Adams played Walton up top and I said that he should be played as a keeper, would I be slagging off Walton?

I rate Jervis, highly, just not in the role in which he's being played.

kekio

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Oct 14, 2015
Barcelona, Spain
Assuming that I can't watch the matches... It's true that Jervis gives much sense of danger (in the highlights always appears). It is also true that when he plays in a wing seems that generate more chances, although their physical characteristics make it look more a striker than a wing player.

Sorry if there are any terms you don't understand .It is difficult to translate the football jargon.

Apr 16, 2015
I rate Jervis highly, just not as a lone striker. If he has Brunt upfront with him or if he plays out on the wing he is much better. I don't understand him playing as a target man at all personally.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Squeeze up in the barrell...Cobi now wants Jervis in there!

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Maybe because he is Argyle's leading scorer.

Oct 5, 2013
Andy_S":2lt8q33v said:

This is a discussion site (isn't it?), and I thought Cobi's question a very good one at the moment.
Same applies for the thread I started about Kelvin Mellor, I wanted to open a discussion, as I personally don't "get" him as a player, and I think that a good discussion has resulted.
I don't see that it is slagging a player off to open a discussion, I thought they were the purpose of this site.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
philevs":2neilunt said:
Andy_S":2neilunt said:

This is a discussion site (isn't it?), and I thought Cobi's question a very good one at the moment.
Same applies for the thread I started about Kelvin Mellor, I wanted to open a discussion, as I personally don't "get" him as a player, and I think that a good discussion has resulted.
I don't see that it is slagging a player off to open a discussion, I thought they were the purpose of this site.

Can't speak for anyone else but as I see it, the heart has been ripped from the team. With so many strong defensive players missing over the last two weeks and Luke struggling with an injury before that it is impossible to judge an individual in a team that is not the team he's consistently played in.

When Luke, McHugh, Hartley, Boateng and Reid are back, if things don't improve then is the time to look at whether a player is poor or just lost form. Until then it's unfair to pick on individuals in a team that's not performing as a whole.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
philevs":2po82f1h said:
Andy_S":2po82f1h said:

Cobi's question is not a good one!

Cobi always looks for someone to blame when we don't get the result that Cobi wants.