Newcastle away (+ Various games called off over the years). | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Newcastle away (+ Various games called off over the years).

lien60

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2006
plymouth
What year did we travel to Newcastle and it got postponed a couple of hours before kick off

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
16th December 1989. Two days before my 36th birthday.

Next!

lien60

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2006
plymouth
Thanks Ian can remember being on the travel club coaches for that game

Remember that day well, Washington service station before we got news the game was off after stopping and phoning at every service station on way up (pre mobile phone days for the youngun's scratching their heads).

Police wouldn't let us go to a different game (Boro was at home) and my parents wouldn't let me go to rearranged fixture as it was a school night (still not been there :( ).

I was only using that day as an example of why it could of been worse on the coach sat in the flooded Yeovil car park today, lol.

Sep 13, 2003
Rochdale (twice!) in 2001 + Darlington in 2002 were called off quite late as I recall.

derbygreen

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2003
Paignton....was Derby
Clarke_B":1b808rwl said:
Rochdale (twice!) in 2001 + Darlington in 2002 were called off quite late as I recall.

Yeah I remember Rochdale evening game being cancelled. I got as far as Huddersfield before finding out.

Sep 13, 2003
derbygreen":221e3onf said:
Clarke_B":221e3onf said:

Yeah I remember Rochdale evening game being cancelled. I got as far as Huddersfield before finding out.

Thinking about it DerbyGreen, it might have been called off three times that season. The two postponed games I went to were definitely on a Saturday. The 2nd time we heard about it on the train at Manchester so went to see Bolton v Crewe instead (Dean Holdsworth and Ian Marshall upfront for Bolton haha).

Newcastle, heard the news it was off ad we came over the river into Newcastle station.
Darlington, got a programme at the ground. Moderate snow happening but not unduly concerned. Got to meeting pub to be told game was off.
Notts County, waited till match confirmed as on following pitch inspection before leaving home. Got to Nottingham to find it was off.
Derby, bright blue sunshine in Sheffield, Baseball Ground fogbound and game off.
And two full trips to Plymouth (rain) and a turnaround at Buckfastleigh (ice).
Spare a thought though for those who haven't got home tonight. Mates flying back from Europe had Bristol flight cancelled so they are in Innsbruck not Plymouth tonight.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Leeder":209e3gld said:
Remember that day well, Washington service station before we got news the game was off after stopping and phoning at every service station on way up (pre mobile phone days for the youngun's scratching their heads).

Police wouldn't let us go to a different game (Boro was at home) and my parents wouldn't let me go to rearranged fixture as it was a school night (still not been there :( ).

I was only using that day as an example of why it could have been worse on the coach sat in the flooded Yeovil car park today, lol.
It was mboro v Leicester lee. Police couldn't have us all intermingling.

Jul 19, 2014
LG":2hg1s8er said:
Leeder":2hg1s8er said:

I was only using that day as an example of why it could have been worse on the coach sat in the flooded Yeovil car park today, lol.
It was mboro v Leicester lee. Police couldn't have us all intermingling.
Thats harsh! Why wouldn't the police let you go to another game? Worried Greens would cause trouble or was it for your own safety? We're there many of you?

Where did you actually encounter the Police for them to inform you of this?

Just asking as that would've been completely heart breaking to me to have traveled all that way for nothing, and then trying to make the best of a bad situation so the day wasn't a total write-off only to have the police smash any hope of a plan B!

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Who made the trip to Hereford in the early 80's ?

Snow was thick and deep and uneven. Got all the way there went in to Wimpy. Saw the back of someone's newspaper "United game off". My brain started ...Hereford ... County ? No. City ? No. Athletic ? No. etc etc

Bollox it's Hereford United.

Long journey back.

Feb 3, 2016
What about those poor barnsley fans when the game was called off with us getting a home park hideing. Think we drew the re aranged fixture. Poor sods!!

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
mervyn":fblibpnf said:
I remember Nicky marker going in goal during the postponed game, following an injury to our regular GK.
Found myself sitting next to him at a dinner function some
years later, when he reminded me that he kept a clean sheet!

I'm afraid Nick Marker told you porkies coz I was there. He went in goal very early in the match & we all thought that we'd get a right tonking.
Amazingly Argyle went 2 up.after that it was like The Alamo & finished 2-2.
As an aside, Argyle wore Newcastle's 3rd strip, all light blue coz they turned up with their home kit, dark green stripes. Not thinking it would clash with Newcastle !!!