Most goals in a match at Home Park? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Most goals in a match at Home Park?

Sep 29, 2008
Plymouth
Looking around some stats for my programme notes ahead of the Mansfield game, and noticed that Mansfield's first ever visit to HP saw 11 goals (8-3 victory to Argyle)

This got me wondering, has there been a match at Home Park with more goals than this? League or cup?

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
The most I can recall seeing was a 6-3 win against Leeds and 7-1 wins against Cardiff and Chesterfield though I think we had a 6-4 against Charlton one boxing day a few years before I started going part way through the 1964/65 season.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
I remember seeing 10 when Argyle beat PNE 6-4. Pretty sure we were losing that one until PNE had 2 players sent off or was it 3?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
On 03 Feb 1940 there was a war-time South West Regional League game at home to Bristol City which finished 10-3 to Argyle. The war-time league found sides not knowing who they could select until the day of the match. Often teams were ill-matched and there were several results like this. As far as I can see there have been only 3 games in Argyle's FL history where there have been 11 goals or more. The Mansfield Town match is the only one of the three played at HP. The other two were 22 January 1927 at Aberdare in Div 3 (South) when Argyle won 6-5 and on 27 Feb 1954 when Argyle lost 8-4 at Everton. Back to your Mansfield game - there were a couple of interesting side-issues. Argyle had two debutants in their side that day, goalkeeper Bob Wyllie and centre-half Gordon Fincham. If I am not mistaken a Mansfield player called Bob Swinscoe scored at least one own goal and maybe two in that 8-3 game. I know Argyle raced in front but early in the second half Mansfield got it back to 3-3. There were very few black players around in those days but Mansfield's best player that day was a Jamaican born winger called Lindy Delaphena. I think he scored two of the visitor's goals. Further to that I think Swinscoe played for Mansfield Reserves that season (or an adjacent season) against Argyle's reserves and once again put through his own goal. I can do some proper research tomorrow if you wish.

Keith Hennessey

🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
Jul 17, 2006
Blenheim New Zealand.
Didn't we host a English League v Irish league game back in the late fifties early sixties that England won about 12 -0. ( may have got some details wrong cos it was a couple of lifetimes ago :oops: )

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
khennes_904":25nupvtz said:
Didn't we host a English League v Irish league game back in the late fifties early sixties that England won about 12 -0. ( may have got some details wrong cos it was a couple of lifetimes ago :oops: )
Spot on Keith! It was billed as the first "England" game after the World Cup. At one time the Football League XI was a full representative XI so people like Trautmann played for them and many Welsh, Scottish and Irish players too. But once Ramsey became England manager he asked that he be allowed to use it as an extra international fixture so he could try fringe players in battle conditions. Johnny Newman was a non-playing sub that night.

jerryatricjanner":1aijl9xq said:
The most I can recall seeing was a 6-3 win against Leeds and 7-1 wins against Cardiff and Chesterfield though I think we had a 6-4 against Charlton one boxing day a few years before I started going part way through the 1964/65 season.

IF my memory serves me correctly, the Charlton game was in the days when we played 1/2 days apart over Christmas Day and Boxing Day ?

I think they beat us 6-4 at The Valley on Christmas Day but we thrashed them 6-4 at The Theatre of Greens the following day.

Maybe they travelled down together ?

Keep the Faith :scarf:

Jan 3, 2013
memory man":zm010i3x said:
khennes_904":zm010i3x said:
Spot on Keith! It was billed as the first "England" game after the World Cup. At one time the Football League XI was a full representative XI so people like Trautmann played for them and many Welsh, Scottish and Irish players too. But once Ramsey became England manager he asked that he be allowed to use it as an extra international fixture so he could try fringe players in battle conditions. Johnny Newman was a non-playing sub that night.

September 1966, budgie Byrne scored a few, the Irish centre half wore glasses! As a one off the tannoy system installed in the Demport for that game only was the best I've ever heard at Home Park

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
Here are the top 14 (a total of nine goals and above) in an Argyle first-team match at HP:

top14homegoals.PNG

That 10-3 match against Bristol City was the only fixture that could go ahead that day because of snow across the country. As MM says, they were extraordinary times - there's a short account in GoS's History, here: http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/argyleh ... 939-1945#3

:thumbup:

Jan 3, 2013
GreensOnScreen":jj2es4jg said:
Here are the top 14 (a total of nine goals and above) in an Argyle first-team match at HP:

top14homegoals.PNG

That 10-3 match against Bristol City was the only fixture that could go ahead that day because of snow across the country. As MM says, they were extraordinary times - there's a short account in GoS's History, here: http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/argyleh ... 939-1945#3

:thumbup:

That Preston game was when Tommy English came on for 20 minutes or so and scored a hat trick I believe ......my goodness nearly 32 years ago :shocked:

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Knarf Reprah":3p7nh878 said:
memory man":3p7nh878 said:
khennes_904":3p7nh878 said:

September 1966, budgie Byrne scored a few, the Irish centre half wore glasses! As a one off the tannoy system installed in the Demport for that game only was the best I've ever heard at Home Park

I was in the Devonport End that night as well, pushed to the front as kids were in those days, in what would be block 2 now. I forgot all about about the Irish player with glasses, never seen it again since. England's first game of course after winning the World Cup a month or two before and the majority of the team played that night. I remember Callaghan and Byrne as two at least who didn't pay in the final and it was the biggest crowd I had experienced at Home Park with about 35,000 there until I saw Santos in front of 38,000.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
I remember the Preston 6-4 game well.

One of the most craziest games I had seen in my life up until that point.

Perhaps the next crazy game was the 4-4 draw with Cardiff with Gordon Nisbet in goal!!

Jan 26, 2009
Tamerton Foliot
I was at the Mansfield match when Argyle won 8-3. It was a freezing cold day. Geoff Barnsley & Reg Whyatt had been dropped following poor performances, so Bob Wylie & Gordon Fincham made their debuts. Yes, I'm sure that their Swinscoe scored 2 x own goals that day. Mansfield's best player was indeed Lindy Delaphena - I think he previously played for Middlesborough? A game to remember!!!

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
memory man":dc4626wj said:
khennes_904":dc4626wj said:

Yep they paraded the World Cup before kick off, I remember it well but lost count of the goals. Thought it was11 nil at the end. Didn't find out it was 12 until later.

Aug 24, 2011
I remember this one fondly!

3rd of January 2004
Plymouth Argyle 7-0 Chesterfield
Home Park, Plymouth
15:00
Hodges Goal 4'
Capaldi Goal 11'
Lowndes Goal 12' Goal 18'
Friio Goal 15'Goal 36'Goal 88'

Attendance: 13,109
Referee: Keith Hill