Argyle intro | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Argyle intro

Oct 3, 2005
'Lanson'
Mine was in March 1963 v Stoke aged 5. My dad took me along, not because he was an Argyle supporter, but becasue Stoke had a great lineup that day, including Stanley Matthews. We lost 1 - 0, but I'll never forget standing by the green railings at the side of the pitch on the Lyndhurst side (near the spot Umbrella Vi used to occupy) in awe and amazement at my first professional football match - not really understanding a lot, but the atmosphere was phenomenal and the football electric, hooking me from then on.
Dad passed away yesterday, we did see some great games at HP together with so many great memories.

Feb 23, 2009
Same here.My dad took me to see the Spurs cup match.We went the week before to get tickets as you had to go to the Mansfield reserve game.I think the official attendance for the reserve game was 20 odd thousand which as a young lad I thought was unbelievable.

Sep 15, 2010
Plympton
My sincere condolences "yertiz"......my first game was 1968, Argyle 1 Torquay 2.....I went along because my Dad, who'd passed away a month before, supported Torquay, I wanted to watch the team he supported .......that was the spur to my support of Argyle, thanks Dad, if you hadn't told me about that I wouldn't have driven to Yeovil last Saturday and smiled when the game was called off. :D

Tivvygreen":225y4vuw said:
Same here.My dad took me to see the Spurs cup match.We went the week before to get tickets as you had to go to the Mansfield reserve game.I think the official attendance for the reserve game was 20 odd thousand which as a young lad I thought was unbelievable.

Condolences to Yertiz

The year Spurs won "The Double" 1961/2 ?

As a kid, I stood on a stool against one of the metal bars in The Lyndhurst BUT it was really one of my mother's plant pot stands with very spindly legs !!

With the massive crowd that day [40,040], I was held nicely in the same upright position for the whole game.

At the end, as the crowd dispersed, I felt uneasy as I looked down at the stool - 3 of the legs were missing !

Mum was not best pleased when I got home !!

Bless her.

Keep the Faith :scarf:

My first ever match at HP was when my dear ol' dad took me to watch Leeds United some years before the Argyle v Spurs encounter detailed above.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Condolences to Yertiz.
Mine was a school friend and his dad who used to go to matches. I'd followed Argyle's results, but the chance to go to a live game was something else. Just happened that that game was the final match of the 82/83 season when Pompey came to town.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
TinTin":16zpoxa7 said:
Tivvygreen":16zpoxa7 said:

The year Spurs won "The Double" 1961/2 ?

As a kid, I stood on a stool against one of the metal bars in The Lyndhurst BUT it was really one of my mother's plant pot stands with very spindly legs !!

With the massive crowd that day [40,040], I was held nicely in the same upright position for the whole game.

At the end, as the crowd dispersed, I felt uneasy as I looked down at the stool - 3 of the legs were missing !

Mum was not best pleased when I got home !!

Bless her.

Keep the Faith :scarf:

Condolences to Yertiz
It was the year after Spurs won the double - that was 1960-61. The cup tie at Home Park was on 27 January 1962 and Spurs went on to beat Burnley in the final (which I went to, my only one ever). Ipswich won the league that year, a season after winning the Second Division. Burnley finished second (so they had a double of a kind) and Spurs finished third. When I finally get my finger out and get my Argyle 1959 to 1962 book finished you will find out exactly who the "40" were in the 40,040 crowd.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
Sorry for your loss yertiz, as a 23 year old it's hard to imagine life without my old man.

Ironically it was a Sheffield Wednesday fan who helped get me hooked. My first game was vs. the Owls in 2010/11 season and my dad's uncle lives in Peniston, near Sheffield and he and his mate (a huge Wednesday fan) were down for the weekend and his mate insisted we all go and watch! We all sat on the corner of the Devonport end and the Lyndy. I attended a home game against Brentford later on in the season and went sporadically as a POTD'er the season after, almost every game after Christmas as Carl Fletcher guided us towards safety! The season after I bought my first season ticket and have renewed every season since!

Now I can't imagine my life without Argyle.