Another Brunt v Reid thread | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Another Brunt v Reid thread

C

Cobi Budge.

While I like Reid, it's undeniable that he's been pretty poor since returning to the side, and as time goes by, I'm starting to feel that he is now match fit, he's just not playing very well. He looked fit against Wycombe, he was just poor. Carey has been back for about 2 weeks yet already looks sharper than Reuben, who's been back for several.

Brunt has contributed more than Reid has this season, and admittedly, that's not something I thought I'd be saying at the start. Reuben needs to fight his way back into the side and I hope he does, but I wouldn't be starting him right now, agree with Greenford, Brunt and Nardiello please.

---------------------------------------------

Split from the "Good Old Brunty" thread. Admin.

Oct 5, 2013
Cobi Budge.":3ln29e6p said:
While I like Reid, it's undeniable that he's been pretty poor since returning to the side, and as time goes by, I'm starting to feel that he is now match fit, he's just not playing very well. He looked fit against Wycombe, he was just poor. Carey has been back for about 2 weeks yet already looks sharper than Reuben, who's been back for several.

Brunt has contributed more than Reid has this season, and admittedly, that's not something I thought I'd be saying at the start. Reuben needs to fight his way back into the side and I hope he does, but I wouldn't be starting him right now, agree with Greenford, Brunt and Nardiello please.

Yes please, me too, Brunt and Nardiello.
Will make the other two (Reid and Jervis) pull their fingers out if/when they get brought on.

Jun 18, 2015
Cobi Budge.":1bhd74u4 said:

I agree, I have said once and I will say it again when on top form Reid is not only the best striker at the club but one of the best strikers in the league no denying that, apart from one or two on here who cant stand him. But right now Brunt is the man on form and its a shame just because Reid is back that poor old Brunty gets put back on the bench after a few games of Reid returning. Just because hes Reuben Reid doesnt mean he has to start every game. Just like last season towards the end when Reid was clearly playing through an injury and we had Ansah and Brunt whilst not as good as he is now chomping at the bits to play but didnt because they arent Reuben Reid. Dont want to sound like im having a pop at him because I rate him highly but sometimes it seems hes automatically first choice whether hes playing good or bad. Right now Brunt should have the shirt and if that means Reid not playing as much then so be it. I just hope Adams wont be too afraid to leave him on the bench for a while until he starts playing like he should be.

C

Cobi Budge.

So you're suppose to keep an underperforming player in the starting line up in the hope that he has one of his good days? What does that do for team morale?

Nobody should be an automatic pick.

Jul 29, 2010
Shall we leave the manager to make the choice, he has been making choices rather well so far :wink:

Jan 18, 2009
Bittaford
Cobi no I would never drop the best striker in League 2 - for the same reason that LVG didn't drop Rooney, Ranieri didn't drop Vardy, Martinez didn't drop Lukaku etc etc etc. These players all went 10 games without a goal this season but form is temporary and class is permanent!
If he wasn't trying then its different but mark my words when Reuben gets going he will fire us to League 1...Carey looked rusty 2nd half against Wycombe but he would still be one of the first names on the team sheet Saturday. Luckily Adams/Brewster make the decision so as long as Reuben is fit (which he is 100% now) he will always be automatic choice..Jervis is a lot more likely to make way if anyone is....

C

Cobi Budge.

Reuben isn't the most important player we have, we are 2nd & we've been without him for most of the season/without him at 100%. We are a team, not a collection of individuals (as we were last season), we don't rely on anyone.

We can win, and play well without him, as we've shown time and time again. Promotion certainly doesn't hinge on Reid's form, nor did it hinge on Boateng's return etc.

I do trust DA's judgement but if I were him I'd be leaving both Jervis & Reid out. Dropping Wylde did him wonders, it could do the same for those two, both very good players, but both are under-performing, and both need to fight to stay in the team.

Players should be picked on form, not reputation. Brunt's contribution this season shouldn't be understated, he's had a very good campaign and he deserves to be on the pitch.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Been rewatching a lot of highlights from games earlier this season lately. Reid and Carey play fantastically together. We clearly play better football with those two. I'm backing Reuben to hit top form now that Carey has returned and I despair at the tools who are pitting Brunt against Reid.

C

Cobi Budge.

Carey & Brunt also play well together.

The gulf between Brunt & Reid is nowhere near as big as some like to make out. Last season it was, but Brunt has improved dramatically this season and is now much more than a L2 lump, he's a much more rounded forward than he was.

We have some very good strikers at the club & on form, Brunt is our best option. Reid will get back to his best when forced to fight for his spot, as Wylde did.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
edmonds200":bylmgkat said:
Well Cobi luckily your not the manager....as I said Reuben will always play when fit while this management are here

I'm not so sure. Reuben is not one of Derek's signings so just like everyone else he'll be judged by what DA sees in training.

I wonder if the introduction of Nardiello may spell the end this season of regular game time for one of Brunt, Reid or Jervis and Jervis is a DA signing and Brunt has been more effective in game time than Reuben this season.

No-one can or will take the last two seasons away from Reuben but they're in the past now and will make very little difference to the end of this season if he has shot his bolt.

Whether he has or not is as you say up to DA but, he won't be scoring anything like 20 goals this season and as it is I'm not sure he'll even get to double figures. Remember that he's also had some pretty barren years as well.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Reid had one of his laziest performances so far on Saturday, looked fat to me.
Brunt was superb though, league one look out!