Derek's not settling for second | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Derek's not settling for second

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Why not? We just need to get our act together over the first 10 to 20 minutes in matches. Will be there on Saturday and am praying for a start as positive as the manager's comments.

Nov 4, 2012
I'll take second all day of the week Derek. Right attitude though, we should be aiming to win every game.

Feb 8, 2005
We have to aim to be champions. If we fail we could still be promoted automatically, but we have to aim to win, not come second or third.

Good man, Derek, that's the attitude.

Words of a winner.

A

andyr1963

That is exactly what I want to hear. Fifty two years old, forty + years supporting Argyle for just two Championship wins. :scarf:

It ain't much of a return.

CHAMPIONS again this season and the season after next as well please. :greensmile:

jimsing":y47910f5 said:
We have to aim to be champions. If we fail we could still be promoted automatically, but we have to aim to win, not come second or third.

Good man, Derek, that's the attitude.

Words of a winner.

Exactly !!

IF his aim is NOT to win the race, why are we in it ?

Ask Usain Bolt the same question...........!!! :whistle:

Keep the Faith :scarf:

Topboy

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Oct 2, 2003
Plympton
Dare I say there's shades of Ian Holloway about those quotes.

Positivity back at Argyle at last! :thumbs:

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
Still like to see two up[ front. Brunty and Nardy possibly. :scarf:

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
The manager has to make positive quotes, can't be heard to say " I don't think we are good enough to win the league, as certain players are not performing as I would hope" or words to that effect, can he ?. He has to try and keep the players in a positive mood, all part of his job.

C

Cobi Budge.

I'm not sure, when you're up there you see plenty of manager's trying to cover their own backs by 'controlling expectations' and ensure that nobody is 'getting ahead of themselves'. DA's expectations aren't unrealistic, but he is ambitious, and he's a winner.

For what it's worth I don't think we'll catch Northampton, and I'll take 2nd, or even 3rd, in a heartbeat, but it's not a fantasy to aim to win the league, all it takes is for Northampton to pick up a few injuries & have a dodgy couple of weeks.

It's been made clear that our budget this season probably wasn't even a top 10 budget, which is why it amazes me that some of our fans still aren't satisfied with how we're doing.

At the top, League 2 is the best (and most competitive) it's been in years, for example look how much Pompey have spent, they're 8th. Some really strong sides this season.

So consider:
1. Our Budget
2. Our competition
3. DA has had significantly less time to build/gel his side compared to other managers.
4. The extent of our injury crisis before Christmas is something that our promotion rivals haven't yet experienced.

We are having a superb season & I'm enjoying every second of it.

Sep 6, 2006
I'd be amazed if we werent top 10 budget wise. Name 9 with bigger budgets. I give you Pompey Northampton, Oxford. Possibly Notts County.

Oct 5, 2013
Balham_Green":226ico6e said:
I'd be amazed if we werent top 10 budget wise. Name 9 with bigger budgets. I give you Pompey Northampton, Oxford. Possibly Notts County.

How can definitive facts be obtained about club budgets, is there a way? Seems unlikely to me, so it's perhaps all speculative

Jul 29, 2010
philevs":pgqh6kzn said:
Balham_Green":pgqh6kzn said:

How can definitive facts be obtained about club budgets, is there a way? Seems unlikely to me, so it's perhaps all speculative

Precisely.

But above all that, budgets are meaningless anyway. It ain't what you've got, it's what you do with it, just look at £20m Leicester at £220m Man City last week.

I've never understood the obsession some folk have with budgets.