Mansfields Form | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mansfields Form

Oct 14, 2015
Much has been mentioned about the excellent form that Mansfield find themselves in prior to their visit to Home Park on Saturday. Not wishing to dismiss their threat totally but closer examination begs the question, is their form really that good.??

10 points from the last 12 games in anyone's yes is an excellent haul and yes I'd snap it up right now if offered it for our next 4 games but let's look a bit closer at theirs.

Beat Morecambe 2-1 at away...... Morecambe not good at home and Morecambe let in two goals in last few minutes....unforgivable defending

Beat Crawley 0-1 away...Woefully out of form..

Beat Morecambe 1-2 home.....Morecambe contrived to miss TWO penalties. Should never miss from 12 yards but to do it twice in one game? Not that we'd know much about that with our penalty record..

Drew with Oxford 2-2.....Having seen the highlights the Oxford goalie to blame for both goals, Oxford hit the woodwork and Hylton missed a sitter in the last minute...

So, in my opinion, I don't think we need worry about Mansfield as much as what has been portrayed, I would suggest their form has been assisted with a vast amount of luck and some very bad defending, goalkeeping and missed opportunities by their opponents..

Let's hope I'm not putting a curse on this for Saturday but are Mansfield really that much of a threat?? We shall see.....

Nov 4, 2012
If the Mansfield players need any motivation just show them this thread. 10 points out of 12 is an excellent return no matter who you're playing and I don't think you can say they've been lucky without watching their games. They're 4th in the league although they have played more games than everyone in the top half and will be a tough test for us. If we can start fast then I think we will win but if we let them get an early goal it could be a frustrating afternoon.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Before that four game run they only picked up 6 points from seven games.

The key is for us to score early, if Mansfield score first and early it will be another Wycombegate.

Jul 14, 2005
Unfortunately pretty much any side is a threat with our home form over the last six games - seven points out of a possible 18. Pretty much rescued by our away form 14 points out of 18. Having said that, we're going to tonk some team before long ...really hope it's on Saturday!

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
propercharlie":x10t1fvs said:
Unfortunately pretty much any side is a threat with our home form over the last six games - seven points out of a possible 18. Pretty much rescued by our away form 14 points out of 18. Having said that, we're going to tonk some team before long ...really hope it's on Saturday!

I make that about right. The Mansfield fans will have these facts on their forum(s) and be half expecting for 3 points tomorrow.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Welwyn Pilgrim":1iw3e4u5 said:
Much has been mentioned about the excellent form that Mansfield find themselves in prior to their visit to Home Park on Saturday. Not wishing to dismiss their threat totally but closer examination begs the question, is their form really that good.??

10 points from the last 12 games in anyone's yes is an excellent haul and yes I'd snap it up right now if offered it for our next 4 games but let's look a bit closer at theirs.

Beat Morecambe 2-1 at away...... Morecambe not good at home and Morecambe let in two goals in last few minutes....unforgivable defending

Beat Crawley 0-1 away...Woefully out of form..

Beat Morecambe 1-2 home.....Morecambe contrived to miss TWO penalties. Should never miss from 12 yards but to do it twice in one game? Not that we'd know much about that with our penalty record..

Drew with Oxford 2-2.....Having seen the highlights the Oxford goalie to blame for both goals, Oxford hit the woodwork and Hylton missed a sitter in the last minute...

So, in my opinion, I don't think we need worry about Mansfield as much as what has been portrayed, I would suggest their form has been assisted with a vast amount of luck and some very bad defending, goalkeeping and missed opportunities by their opponents..

Let's hope I'm not putting a curse on this for Saturday but are Mansfield really that much of a threat?? We shall see.....

Next up, away to a team who seem to fare better on their travels.

A

AR09YLE

Dreamgreen":1w24tjdw said:
propercharlie":1w24tjdw said:

I make that about right. The Mansfield fans will have these facts on their forum(s) and be half expecting for 3 points tomorrow.

We playing on Friday?

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
AR09YLE":3a4tn31n said:
Dreamgreen":3a4tn31n said:
propercharlie":3a4tn31n said:

We playing on Friday?

Good point ... well made.

G

Gialloblu

Hello there. As a stags fan (in peace), perhaps I can try to be impartial and shed a bit more light on our recent form. Just before our last 4 games, we weren't enjoying our football much. The game immediately before the run, we lost at home 2-0 to Luton and were awful. The story of our season had started with lots of hunger and fast, passing football under new manager Adam Murray. He had changed the style completely from the long-ball, physical style of predecessor Paul Cox. We then stayed in and around the playoffs until Christmas, and although results were generally satisfactory, form was inconsistent. The hunger and slick passing seemed to go and we were back to long-ball (or at least less short-ball than at the start of the season). This seemed to coincide with the loss of the brilliant new left-back, Mal Benning, to a knee injury.

Now. Perhaps not coincidentally, Benning's return has also coincided with our recent return to more consistent form. It's not just down to one player obviously. Murray has reacted to the increasing (and in my opinion, unrealistic) grumbles of the home fans, by changing formation from the more defensive 4231 to a quick, attacking 442. Matt Green, who had struggled with goals through our sticky patch, is now scoring again and highly-rated academy product, Jack Thomas is finally getting games (he scored the late equaliser at Oxford).

You are right to question the credibility of our wins at Morecambe and Crawley, but they were both hard fought and deserved, despite the narrow scorelines. Against Morecambe at home, we dominated. Yes, they had 2 penalties, both well saved by Scott Shearer, but we were all over them. Against Oxford, we were well on top for the whole first half and should have been ahead at the break, but Oxford upped their game second half and were very good. A draw is perhaps a tad lucky, but there are plenty of Stags fans insisting it was deserved.

Our away form has been our saving grace this season - we are one of the best in the league on that front. At home we have been poor, but that seems to be turning around now. What is nice now is that we don't seem to fear anyone (as proven at Oxford), but we still haven't beaten any of the current top 8, which needs to change. Saturday would be nice ;)

Dec 29, 2015
Thanks Gialloblu. That sounds very familiar to us. Started with flowing football that most regular fans said was of a standard above anything they'd seen in decades, and was based on a very talented playmaker. His injury led to a drop in form and a reversion to some pretty unpalatable football. He's now back and hopefully a return to full fitness will help us discover our early-season form. Hopefully on Saturday...!

Just took a look at the Oxford v Mansfield Highlights, and what awful Goalkeeping by the Oxford keeper on both Mansfield goals! Came out and flapped at both high balls into the box. We're lucky to have Luke when you see some of the other keepers in this division. I also enjoyed Mansfield celebrating their equaliser as if they just won the Champions League.

In terms of Mansfield's form, they aren't in 4th position by fluke. They've picked up some good results on the road this season. I think it's important we get the first goal and if we do we can play our own football. As PL2 3DQ says, if we let Mansfield score first, we could see another Wycombesque performance.

G

Gialloblu

HongKongGreen":3m3xsfv5 said:
Just took a look at the Oxford v Mansfield Highlights, and what awful Goalkeeping by the Oxford keeper on both Mansfield goals! Came out and flapped at both high balls into the box. We're lucky to have Luke when you see some of the other keepers in this division. I also enjoyed Mansfield celebrating their equaliser as if they just won the Champions League.

In terms of Mansfield's form, they aren't in 4th position by fluke. They've picked up some good results on the road this season. I think it's important we get the first goal and if we do we can play our own football. As PL2 3DQ, if we let Mansfield score first, we could see another Wycombesque performance.

I don't think there's much fear about you not scoring first - our problem with conceding early goals is beyond a joke now. We've been better with it recently, but still, against Morecambe at home last Saturday, we conceded in the first minute.