Does Adams really believe what he is saying ? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Does Adams really believe what he is saying ?

May 16, 2015
Derek Adams quotes....

Pompey and Argyle are two teams that have done exceptionally well this season.

FACT - Pompey were one of the favourites to achieve automatic promotion.

FACT - Argyle were top of the table in January.

Am I the only Argyle fan that thinks considering the above facts both teams have under achieved this season ?

However, do we want Derek to have a Sheridan rant....

The players have screwed up and it's all over. The performances since January are just not good enough.

I suggest NOT.

I have never met Derek but he appears to be an intelligent man. For him to lay into the players in public and tell them that it is a disgrace to go from top of the table to sixth place, I suggest is NOT the right approach. May be he has done this in the confines of the changing room.

Surely if is better to tell them that are good enough to win the play off semi finals and have their day of glory at Wembley.

Mind games indeed....

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
I don't think he knows the difference between fact and fiction these days.
Clearly lost the plot as the pressure has increased. Playing 1 up front and 6 in midfield the other day with no formation or tactics was sheer desperation.
It turned into a primary school game with so many bodies in the middle of the park chasing the ball and getting each others way.

Season is over and back to the drawing board for escaping the basement league next season

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Adams has been in a state of denial for some time now. From saying that we were going to finish above Northampton at the end of January, he is now telling us that we have over achieved as we limp into the play-offs with the inevitable disappointing conclusion to our season which offered so much promise for so long.

Much of what he said recently has been intended to disguise his all too obvious tactical shortcomings, even the green tints and sycophants have criticised his obsession with playing 1 forward.

I gave up on Adams after the Exeter debacle when it was obvious to everyone that we were struggling in midfield after Tisdale's 2nd half substitutions which changed the game and put us on the back foot. McHugh and Houghton were visibly tiring and dropping ever deeper and in the end, his refusal to introduce fresh legs in midfield cost us 3 points.

For Adams to then come out after the match and say that the ineffectual Houghton was "head and shoulders the best player on the pitch" was unbelievable.

C

Cobi Budge.

samjones":19q4p2lu said:
Clearly lost the plot as the pressure has increased. Playing 1 up front and 6 in midfield the other day with no formation or tactics was sheer desperation.
It turned into a primary school game with so many bodies in the middle of the park chasing the ball and getting each others way.

Season is over and back to the drawing board for escaping the basement league next season

I take it you won't be going to the Wembley final should we get there then?

Sep 6, 2006
Either he just gives a message to the media and is in effect lying and insulting our intelligence or he is deluded with many of his comments.

C

Cobi Budge.

One of the greatest managers of all time (Alex Ferguson) must have gone his entire career lying to and insulting supporters then? Things turned out pretty well for Man United.

It became obvious earlier in the season that DA was that sort of manager, when we beat Barnet 2 1, we were utterly terrible, but he came out and said that we were brilliant and that we dominated the entire game and that they didn't have a sniff (they hit the woodwork about three times).

Anybody could see that we were poor that evening, I'm sure a largely successful manager & someone's who has made his career out of football could see it as well. Therefore I think it's frankly stupid to call him 'deluded'. Criticise your players (and also yourself) inside the dressing and big them up in the media, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that approach.

Derek is a good, young manager who is coming to the end of his first season in English football, he could, maybe should, have done better this season, certainly since January, but he came here to improve things, he has improved things, we've accumulated more points, we've played more attractive football & we have some very good players at the club, he should obviously be given next season regardless of whether we're in League 1 or 2.

Under Sheridan, I constantly bounced between wanting him in charge, wanting him to be sacked & being indifferent, but under Adams, since day one, I've firmly believed that he's the man to take us forward long term and I still believe that. To the minority of fans who want him to be sacked, many Northampton fans wanted Wilder to be sacked last season, look where Northampton are now, I'm not saying for definite that'll be us, but too many clubs chop and change, Derek is bringing some stability and unity back to the football club.

Nov 16, 2006
samjones said:

Season is over and back to the drawing board for escaping the basement league next season[/quote

As we were top at Xmas, obviously we've been hugely disappointing since to currently be in 6th. But....our manager has "clearly lost the plot" and the "season is over" on the eve of the play-offs. How did you make it through our darkest days without topping yourself? (Or was that actually when you were at your happiest so you could revel in how awful we were?)

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge.":3j9ounrq said:
One of the greatest managers of all time (Alex Ferguson) must have gone his entire career lying to and insulting supporters then? Things turned out pretty well for Man United.

It became obvious earlier in the season that DA was that sort of manager, when we beat Barnet 2 1, we were utterly terrible, but he came out and said that we were brilliant and that we dominated the entire game and that they didn't have a sniff (they hit the woodwork about three times).

Anybody could see that we were poor that evening, I'm sure a largely successful manager & someone's who has made his career out of football could see it as well. Therefore I think it's frankly stupid to call him 'deluded'. Criticise your players (and also yourself) inside the dressing and big them up in the media, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that approach.

Derek is a good, young manager who is coming to the end of his first season in English football, he could, maybe should, have done better this season, certainly since January, but he came here to improve things, he has improved things, we've accumulated more points, we've played more attractive football & we have some very good players at the club, he should obviously be given next season regardless of whether we're in League 1 or 2.

Under Sheridan, I constantly bounced between wanting him in charge, wanting him to be sacked & being indifferent, but under Adams, since day one, I've firmly believed that he's the man to take us forward long term and I still believe that. To the minority of fans who want him to be sacked, many Northampton fans wanted Wilder to be sacked last season, look where Northampton are now, I'm not saying for definite that'll be us, but too many clubs chop and change, Derek is bringing some stability and unity back to the football club.

Your reference to Ferguson makes no sense. Any improvement has been marginal and should be greater as I agree we have better players. Sheridan oversaw greater improvement year on year.

Jul 29, 2010
He's saying what he has to say, simple as that.

The only person who can answer this question is Derek Adams and he'd be reversing his stance 180 degrees if he started being critical in public.

So whilst I had/have a problem with his formation sometimes, especially at home, I can't be critical of him supporting/protecting his players. It's what he has to do.

We don't know of course, and neither should we, what he says to them on the training ground and in the dressing room.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I agree with that,Cobi. Alex Ferguson started his Man Utd career in 1986 but did not win his first trophy until 1990. DA is well organised, motivated, ambitious and heavily committed.
I hope that our Board and fanbase have some patience with him because, whether it is with PAFC or another club, I believe that he will have a successful management career and if he is forced out he will cause us to regret it.
It is understandable that we are impatient because we have been starved of success but this is a new manager who deserves the opportunity to show his worth.
I have supported Argyle for over 60 years and I believe that he has the potential to provide us with success.

Sep 6, 2006
So every time a manager is unsuccessful you stick with him because it could turn out like Ferguson? Makes no sense. We should have stuck with Fletcher then.

Jul 29, 2010
Comparison with Fergy are not helpful, 'the new Ferguson is a millstone round anyone's neck, just as it is with players dubbed 'the new Messi' or 'the new Pele'....Freddie Adu anyone?

The following could be raised across virtually every thread right now. I've mulled over things and think we need refocusing. It may be a bank holiday but it's still Monday morning, the time for the angst of the instant reaction to pass and for sensible pragmatism to take over.....

Someone coined a phrase about the play-offs yesterday that it's effectively a 'new season' and I think that's probably the best way to look at things right now.

Across all the many issues we have with this season, and there are many, some valid and some overreacted, we should really put them on ice for a while. If we treat the play-offs as a new season then we go into them, just as we always do in any given summer with anticipation and optimism.

That's not to say that every given summer we don't harbour doubts, it's just we push hope to the fore and run with it until such time as it's taken away.

I just think that would be a healthier mindset to be in, we don't do post mortems in August and treating the 'mini-league' we face now as a new beginning will help everyone. Save the post mortem until the patient has actually died.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
6 points better off and we've overachieved?
One can only assume that means Adams' target on the eve of the season was to win 1 more game than last season

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Why do those who back the Manager regardless of his performance always quote Alex Ferguson, it's hardly a realistic comparison and it sounds a bit desperate.

Despite Argyle having only picked up 26 points from their last 20 games, not much better than relegation form, has anyone actually called for Adams to be sacked; if they have, I've missed it. Adams has another year on his contract and he should see it out, but he needs to do a lot better next season.

On the back of 26 points from 20 games where we have thrown away a great chance of automatic promotion, it's hardly surprising that many fans do not anticipate a positive outcome from the Play-offs. 20 games is not a blip, it's almost half a season.

Why will our performances suddenly improve now that we are in the Play-offs?

Yet again on Saturday we conceded 2 late goals inside the last 10 minutes from a winning position. In the play-offs you have to be able to concentrate for the full 90 minutes.

If Adams could actually turn things around to stop us conceding so many poor goals and scoring a few more ourselves, surely he would have done it weeks ago.