Soft goals conceded through inexperienced midfield/Houghton | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Soft goals conceded through inexperienced midfield/Houghton

Mar 21, 2008
A week or 2 ago when Derek Adams pointed out our deficiencies were largely due to individual errors I wanted to go back through our goals with a bit more analysis and see if I could pick out any recurring themes or culprits, I was going to post this after the Dagenham game but binned it as I didn't want it to seem a man hunt but frankly after recent rumours about certain players inclusion I think it's important this is seen.

Yes we defend as a team but a lot of goals we've conceded lately can basically be attributed to not picking up runners or staying with your man, with one particular player cropping up time and again. If you're evenly remotely unsure as to Houghton's defensive shortcomings as a centre midfielder, which is most definitely costing us goals, I'd suggest you get on 'Argyle player' or youtube when you get a chance and watch these goals again in a bit more detail:

Yorks 1st goal - Houghton leaves his man and drops off standing all on his own at the edge of the area marking nobody, the ball is played across to his man (no.10), who has a free unchallenged shot on goal leaving McCormick no chance

Exeters 2nd goal - Yes Watkins is a quality player, but Houghton makes him looks like Ronaldo as he gets left for dead and Watkins fires past McCormick

Wimbledons 1st goal - We have a corner and Houghton is next to Lyle Taylor on the edge of their area, the move breaks down and they get possession, Lyle Taylor is then allowed to run away from Houghton as he runs right from his own area into our area unchallenged without being tracked and finds himself through on goal to slot past McCormick

Dagenhams 2nd goal - From the throw-in Houghtons man drifts off the back of him despite Houghton making it look like he’s marshalling him, the ball is then played to him unchallenged and he has absolutely acres of space to pick his spot

As I say, we defend as a team and play as a team and we need to be a whole unit which clearly there's more than just Houghton wrong in some of the goals and other goals we've conceded, but when you've got such a weak link then that leaves massive holes and they're getting exploited far too easily, I've also obviously only picked out crucial goal deciding bits of play, there's a huge amount of other awful play from him that I've not been bothered to include within games that have led to chances being created that weren't ultimately taken, and I'm sure the coaching staff are fully aware of this too.

Oct 22, 2009
Houghton is crap. A complete passenger. Play mchugh and boateng in the middle like when we were top of the league!!

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
northroadwest1":196bf2qo said:
Houghton is crap. A complete passenger. Play mchugh and boateng in the middle like when we were top of the league!!

McHugh is injured.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
northroadwest1":1w61o110 said:

Derek Adams may not be allowed to drop Houghton if he is fit to start.

May 8, 2011
Boateng isn't playing half as well as he was in his first spell. He was responsible for Wimbledon's first goal as he couldn't keep up with the striker.
The centre halfs were responsible for the first and third goals against Dagenham.
I would blame Sawyer for Cambridge's first goal as he was outpaced by their player.

No one player can be made a scapegoat, each player has made individual errors that has cost automatic promotion including the strikers as they have all missed hat fulls of chances.

May 22, 2006
DA is correct that we have given away lots of goals away this season due to individual errors. Not sure who has been responsible for most but certainly not Houghton. I would guess that the order would be Hartley, McCormick, Mellor, Forster.

Ultimately it's a team game and stating the obvious, goalkeeper/ defender mistakes are more likely to result in goals conceded, while forward mistakes are more likely to result in missed goals. Players who make mistakes also make great saves, last ditch tackles and score goals.

There seems to be a preoccupation with trying to find somebody to blame and be a scapegoat. As a team, we should win together and we will lose together. Trying to blame individuals does nothing to build team spirit and is nearly always counter productive.

It's a massive shame that we lost the complete spine of the team to injuries just before Christmas and even now, our two main forwards are out injured and our choice of player of the year (McHugh) is also struggling for fitness. While missing out on automatic promotion is hugely disappointing, we are at least still in with a chance of going up. As frustrating as the season has turned out, moaning and criticising will achieve nothing and hopefully the players will stick together and produce a couple of memorable performances, as they have shown they have the ability on enough occasions this season.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
If the rumours are to believed then the club need to bite the bullet and pay Chelsea whatever it takes so that Houghton doesn't have to play

Houghton is only 19 so bound to still be learning. Same with hiram who is only 20.
Youngsters are going to be inconsistent. Oscar was too to begin with. Were missing him now
as well.
Houghton is playing centre mid as there is currently no one else anyway unless mchugh(if fit)
steps up and forster goes into the 3. Or unless we go, back 4 again, but then we get
the carey in behind problem again.
Why cant 4231 work at home as well as away ffs. Stupid game.

Mar 14, 2009
up_the_line":3f7jju4f said:
If the rumours are to believed then the club need to bite the bullet and pay Chelsea whatever it takes so that Houghton doesn't have to play

So we played a 3-5-2 on Saturday.

Houghton played in a CDM role. With Simpson injured who else would you put there?

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Fat_green_belly":1x98lahk said:
Houghton is only 19 so bound to still be learning. Same with hiram who is only 20.
Youngsters are going to be inconsistent. Oscar was too to begin with. Were missing him now
as well.
Houghton is playing centre mid as there is currently no one else anyway unless mchugh(if fit)
steps up and forster goes into the 3. Or unless we go, back 4 again, but then we get

See ocsar wasnt playing for Bolton on Saturday is he injured or have they decided hes not good enough? interesting

edengreen":1vjmrhrn said:
Fat_green_belly":1vjmrhrn said:
as well.

See ocsar wasnt playing for Bolton on Saturday is he injured or have they decided hes not good enough? interesting
I hope its the second option and then a third option of
nobody else interested and he wants back in the summer. :thumbup:

C

Cobi Budge.

Boateng has also been disappointing since returning and that was met with jubilation, however he seems a bit immune from criticism. Hope he returns to his early season form over these next few matches.