Entirely new squad | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Entirely new squad

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
If we were to somehow, miraculously contrive to get promoted. How many new players would we need and would the board be willing / able to provide that kind of backing? IMO only Nelson, Carey, McHugh and Reid are anything more than 4th division standard and we'd need probably 15 new players minimum to survive a division higher.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
McHugh i agree could make the step up,reid with his frustrating injury record is debatable and curtis and carey could make the step up in my opinion.tyler harvey will play above the fourth division in my view but not for us unfortunately.

up_the_line":2nalk3a7 said:
If we were to somehow, miraculously contrive to get promoted. How many new players would we need and would the board be willing / able to provide that kind of backing? IMO only Nelson, Carey, McHugh and Reid are anything more than 4th division standard and we'd need probably 15 new players minimum to survive a division higher.

In answer to the second part of your question, I've got no idea, and neither has anyone else on here, I should imagine.

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
You'd be surprised how many would survive the first season in the league above. I use Southend Utd as a good example. Mid table safely with an average squad.

Jan 7, 2013
The difference in the lower leagues is minimal imo.. I think our current squad would hold their own in league one with just a few additions.. RB, CF (Reid too injury prone) and RM.. like for like replacements in the loan department ie keeping the likes of Matt, Boateng and possibly getting Threlkald back.
Just look at the team's that got promoted from league two last season..they all seem to have done well! Granted I don't know how many signings they have made but I doubt there have been much disruption from their promotion winning teams.
Our team is pretty decent on paper and should more than manage a season midtable in league one.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Pettgreen":2i8u1b05 said:
You'd be surprised how many would survive the first season in the league above. I use Southend Utd as a good example. Mid table safely with an average squad.

How apt that this should be a thread the morning after Leicester became Premier League champions. How many of that team would have walked into say West Ham on the first day of preseason last year? Not many I'd guess.

If the team gets promoted there is enough gaps that was filled with loanees without stripping out anymore.

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Keep Mchugh, Carey and get rid of rest. Keep Adams get rid of Bitner and Wotton. Sorry an opinion, but truth sometimes hurts.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
We need an experienced midfield dynamo, who has the energy and enthusiasm to get rapidly from box to box. When I think of this type of player I think of Steve Castle and David Friio (if only).
I saw Craig Tanner do it in the JPT against Exeter and I longed to see him do it again but it didn't happen. I have occasionally seen opposition players do that against us; most recently, it was a Wimbledon midfielder who caught us out. I also think that Liam Sercombe (Oxford) is that type of player. Curtis Nelson is capable of making these runs but he cannot neglect his defensive duties and, in any event, his distribution needs to improve.
If we had a player like that with Graham Carey spreading the passes around, I think that Gregg Wylde would be more effective. He is criticised for his final pass but, often, when he gets to the by-line, he has only one colleague in the box to try and find.
With regard to the players who should remain, I would say McCormick (with a serious alternative), Nelson, Hartley (with a serious alternative), McHugh (of course), Carey (of course), Wylde and Brunt. I would also like to see Matt persuaded to sign. I suspect he will also attempt to sign Jordon Forster, expecting him to challenge Hartley in central defence.
I really am not sure about Reuben Reid because I am confused about his relationship with the manager. If there is a problem he should be allowed to leave and replaced with a natural goal-scorer (easier said than done).
The manager knows which of his younger players he wants to retain and, as I have not seen them, I would rely on his judgement. At least, he regularly watches games that they are involved in.
So, I don't think that we need an entirely new squad but there would certainly be room for several additions.

Mar 14, 2009
John Cooper":22328dmg said:
Keep Mchugh, Carey and get rid of rest. Keep Adams get rid of Bitner and Wotton. Sorry an opinion, but truth sometimes hurts.

Actually that is a question of interest regarding Wotton as coach.

Whatever happens, his contact is up. I wonder if DA will keep him on? Interesting.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Goalkeepers
1. McCormick/Replacement
2. Dourel

Right-back
2. Mellor

Centre-backs
1. Nelson
2. Hartley

Left-back
1. Sawyer

Defensive-Midfield
1. McHugh
2. Threlkeld

Right-Wing
2. Jervis

Left-Wing
1. Wylde

Attacking-Midfield
1. Carey

Forwards
1. Reid
2. Brunt
3. Matt

I've listed who I'd keep above. The starting line-up to fill a 4-2-3-1 is denoted with 1s and cover for these areas as 2nd/3rd choices. As I see it we have the makings of a team but need to add a fair few starters to our team.

Defensively; Nelson is more than good enough for L1 and Hartley can provide cover/rotate with a new L1 standard centre-back. Right-back, Mellor has his flaws but on his day is certainly capable cover, his versatility to play wing-back is also worth a mention as a pro for keeping him around to allow tactical tinkering. Left-back I'd say we need someone rotating with Sawyer, Purrington isn't the man to put pressure on his place unfortunately, as I recall his best days came with Capaldi breathing down his neck for a place in the first team.

Midfield; needs the most work IMO, McHugh is our star man in this position but needs both a partner and cover by the looks of it. Sadly I can't include Simpson, as good as he may/may not be he isn't fit for long enough to justify keeping him, especially on a budget. I'd like to see Threlkeld back but at L1 level I'd say as cover/rotation with an eye to develop him rather than the starter he ended up being later in his loan spell, I didn't even include Boateng because our chances of getting him back are surely minimal.

Attacking Midfield; Carey our obvious man in the middle but again needs cover with Tanner set to leave. On the wings Wylde is a brilliant impact player who I'd keep around even just for his pace coming off the bench, that said he is certainly good enough to be first choice at L1 level and deserves to be mentioned amongst the renewals. I'm fairly reluctant to put Jervis in but with competition for his position maybe we can get that early season Jervis back, if not the new man will keep him out of the team so him in as cover wouldn't be the end of the world.

Forwards
I'd say this area is pretty much sorted provided we can get Matt permanently, all three are capable of playing L1 level, the issue we'll have is finding a way of fitting all three into a team when they're all fit.

Goalkeeper; honestly I had a few problems here, is McCormick's run of form really just a run of form? The Luke of old is certainly L1 level but is the Luke of old ever coming back? If it's form both 'keepers should see us through, if this is a sign of his decline then with a heavy heart I'd be tempted to not renew his deal and bring in someone else with the presumably cheaper Dourel covering.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
djg145":29g8i6qp said:
We need to rely less on loan players.

It's League Two, everyone relies on loan players unless they've got a sugar-daddy pumping in big cash.

To answer the original question:

If we go up, keep:

GK: None.
DF: Sawyer, Purrington, Nelson, Hartley (3rd choice)
MF: McHugh, Carey, Wylde (sub), Jervis (squad player)
ST: Reid, Brunt, Matt.

If we stay down, I'd keep Luke too, but no additional changes. RB, GK & CM the main areas to address.