Useful information for those going by train... | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Useful information for those going by train...

R

Rob Thomas

Hi All

For those of you going by train on Monday there are a couple of things I thought should be passed on so you know what to expect on the day. Some of it will already be common knowledge but other items will be news to everyone...

Those going FROM Plymouth

A queuing system will be in place at Plymouth station to manage the number of people that board each train. When you arrive at the station there will be two queues: Those WITH seat reservations and those WITHOUT.

This will ensure that anyone who's booked a seat will be able to get to it easily rather than scrambling through the crowds. Those without seat reservations can then take any non-reserved seats.

Arriving at London Paddington

The Bakerloo station at Paddington is closed. Alternative options are:
- Hammersmith & City/Circle Line to Baker Street and change for Metropolitan/Jubilee Line to Wembley Park
- Walk to Edgware Road (10-15 mins) and catch Bakerloo Line to Wembley Central
- Walk to Edgware Road and change at Marylebone for Chiltern services to Wembley Stadium station
I'm sure others will come up with other ideas but those are the most obvious ones to me.

Departing from London Paddington (post match)

There will be a queuing system in place at London Paddington after the match, again to manage the numbers that board each train. There will be two queues: One for those going to Plymouth ONLY and another for those going anywhere else (i.e. stations in Cornwall, Totnes, Newton Abbot, Exeter St Davids etc.)

The main reason for this is that some trains are critical for those going to specific destinations (i.e. the 1800 and 1900 will be the only trains going through to Cornwall post match.) so those who need a certain train will be able to get it.

The queuing system will be between Platforms 8 and 9 at London Paddington. You will only be able to access it from the main concourse area so those arriving from the Hammersmith & Circle Line will have to go round via Platform 1. Platform numbers will not be shown for trains heading down to Plymouth, Penzance etc.. so everyone going must use it if they wish to board a train. Tickets must be ready to produce as ticket checks will be made before you join the queue.

Hope all this info helps. I will going up the day before but will be joining in with everyone else on the way home :scarf:

Jun 10, 2015
Liverpool
Do you have any advice for leaving Wembley; in specific, whether it is better to go to Wembley Park and get the tube, via going to Wembley Stadium / Central and getting the Overground? I assume they will all be busy?

Cheers for the info! :scarf:

R

Rob Thomas

I've always used Wembley Park in my previous visits. They're very well versed in events at the stadium and it didn't take ages to get through (surprising given capacity crowd).

C

Cobi Budge.

I went to Wembley by train for the Blackpool/Cardiff play off final, took about 45 minutes of queuing to get on a train at Wembley stadium station, so not too bad considering the attendance.

Remember that both sets of fans will leave at different times depending on who wins and who looses, so not everyone will be trying to get out at the same time, let's just hope they go before us!

R

Rob Thomas

landons forehead":2u604ped said:
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I assume queues at paddington will also be divided into those with and without seat reservations?

No, just the two queues. Those going to Plymouth and those not going to Plymouth. It may be that people with reservations to Plymouth will end up on a different service to the one that they have booked. However this is the best method to ensure everyone gets home to their desired station safely, which is the most important thing.

I myself have reservations to Plymouth on the 1900 but I would not want to deny anyone trying to get to Cornwall a place on the train if it was full. There's a 1907 to Plymouth should I be unsuccessful anyway.

Hope that helps :thumbup:

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
Rob Thomas":2hb51wer said:
landons forehead":2hb51wer said:
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I assume queues at paddington will also be divided into those with and without seat reservations?

No, just the two queues. Those going to Plymouth and those not going to Plymouth. It may be that people with reservations to Plymouth will end up on a different service to the one that they have booked. However this is the best method to ensure everyone gets home to their desired station safely, which is the most important thing.

I myself have reservations to Plymouth on the 1900 but I would not want to deny anyone trying to get to Cornwall a place on the train if it was full. There's a 1907 to Plymouth should I be unsuccessful anyway.

Hope that helps :thumbup:

It does help, a lot! We're booked on the 1930 anyway, which is only Plymouth-bound I believe, not Kernow.

May 16, 2015
Further to the information provided by Rob Thomas, if a group of four, have reservations on a specific train coming back from London Paddington to Plymouth, why should they have to relocate to another train, when they may not be able to sit together or even get a seat if the next train is full ?

R

Rob Thomas

I'm don't know which train you're booked on but I would advise to get back to Paddington and get in the queue as soon as you can. If you're at the front of the queue before your train then at least you have the option to wait for your booked train. Although I guess most will just want to get home asap regardless of booked seats.

If you leave it to the last minute you shouldn't expect to be able to get on your booked train.

R

Rob Thomas

Tynan's Dad":5hiyp5uv said:
Amy info for people getting the train from Exeter?

No boarding plans at Exeter that I'm aware of. Just ensure you join the NOT Plymouth queue at Paddington on the way back.

Sep 6, 2006
Rob Thomas":zcpw5plf said:
Hi All

For those of you going by train on Monday there are a couple of things I thought should be passed on so you know what to expect on the day. Some of it will already be common knowledge but other items will be news to everyone...

A queuing system will be in place at Plymouth station to manage the number of people that board each train. When you arrive at the station there will be two queues: Those WITH seat reservations and those WITHOUT.

This will ensure that anyone who's booked a seat will be able to get to it easily rather than scrambling through the crowds. Those without seat reservations can then take any non-reserved seats.

- Hammersmith & City/Circle Line to Baker Street and change for Metropolitan/Jubilee Line to Wembley Park
- Walk to Edgware Road and change at Marylebone for Chiltern services to Wembley Stadium station
I'm sure others will come up with other ideas but those are the most obvious ones to me.

There will be a queuing system in place at London Paddington after the match, again to manage the numbers that board each train. There will be two queues: One for those going to Plymouth ONLY and another for those going anywhere else (i.e. stations in Cornwall, Totnes, Newton Abbot, Exeter St Davids etc.)

The main reason for this is that some trains are critical for those going to specific destinations (i.e. the 1800 and 1900 will be the only trains going through to Cornwall post match.) so those who need a certain train will be able to get it.

The queuing system will be between Platforms 8 and 9 at London Paddington. You will only be able to access it from the main concourse area so those arriving from the Hammersmith & Circle Line will have to go round via Platform 1. Platform numbers will not be shown for trains heading down to Plymouth, Penzance etc.. so everyone going must use it if they wish to board a train. Tickets must be ready to produce as ticket checks will be made before you join the queue.

Hope all this info helps. I will going up the day before but will be joining in with everyone else on the way home :scarf:

Chaos if it goes to e.t. then. No chance of the Cornish making the 1800

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
Balham_Green":y8yyx75q said:
Rob Thomas":y8yyx75q said:
Hi All

Chaos if it goes to e.t. then. No chance of the Cornish making the 1800

Travelling with worst late western is chaos at the best of times. If I arrive in time for the 1930 (the train I've reserved seats on) and someone tries to tell me I can't get on, I'll hit the roof.