Akinfenwa | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Akinfenwa

Mar 21, 2006
How should we play this guy assuming he plays? Whenever I've seen people mark him tight they just bounce off him he's so big and strong - I say give him a yard and then get your tackle in

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
He isn't superman. They should be worried about McCormick, Mellor, Nelson, Hartley, Sawyer, McHugh, Boateng, Jervis, Carey, Matt, Reid, Harvey, Purrington, Rooney, Tanner, Forster, Dorel and Houghton.

Any team that DA picks will be dangerous so let's play our own game. :scarf: :scarf:

Apr 29, 2010
I think the most important thing we can learn from the Play-off semis and from the match at Home Park against Wimbledon is; Don't let Nelson mess around with the ball at the back. Or let Nelson give Akinfenwa second chances by heading the ball straight up in to the air.

I like Nelson and all, but the last few games he has been bugging me. There's an insistence nowadays go defenders to be comfortable on the ball and able to play out from the back. (Ferdinand-esque) I see it with Stones in the Premiership and with Nelson at Argyle. Neither of which are really good enough to be fiddling around. Since when was a defenders first thought not about defence rather about forward play.
It seems to me the mantra "when I'm doubt, kick it out" has turned in to "when in doubt, fuss fart about".

So that's how I'd deal with the big man.

Feb 2, 2007
Is that a deliberate misspelling?

We have played against him many times and the only time he has looked vaguely threatening was in the last 10 mins at Home Park in the 2-1 defeat. The players were lethargic that day with a number coming back from injury- Forster, Boateng in particular were on their knees and confidence was low.

Will be a different Argyle at Wembley. :scarf:

C

CornishGreenWhite

He won't be starting & even then he won't be able to cope on the huge wembley pitch. They have much better players than him to worry about.

May 16, 2016
Stop the ball from getting to him in the first place. Stop the service like we did during the Pompey game.

Oct 24, 2010
Because of his strength he is a threat in the air and is surprisingly good on the ball but he's no world beater and our defenders should not have too much of a problem coping with him as long as they keep focused and do their jobs.

Nov 18, 2011
I remember when we played then at their place at the beginning of the season Hartley dealt with him very well.

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
silkman":lo6rmb8m said:
How should we play this guy assuming he plays? Whenever I've seen people mark him tight they just bounce off him he's so big and strong - I say give him a yard and then get your tackle in

You should know Trev!... ;)

Nov 7, 2012
Plymouth
I don't think he can play a full 90. So the question is, would you want to see him starting, or rather him come on, in the second half?

For me I'd rather see him start, and nullify him in the first half so they have no plan b with him as a sub.
Because if he does come on as a sub and it's 0-0 I'll be very very nervous. Hopefully if that happens we'll be up some before that eventuality.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
I'd be more concerned about Lyle Taylor. He clearly has some attitude but thought he was excellent against Accrington in the second leg (but there was certainly more than a hint of a problem with his hammy at the end of that game).

Mar 14, 2009
I think Coughlan in his prime against this guy would be a great tussle.

Nelson couldnt get near him for a standing jump header for the 2nd goal at HP. That worries me.

As for his impact. Well he turned the game in their favour at 1-1 at HP.

At 0-0, at kings meadow, he came on and turned the game. 2-0 down at Accrington he came on and again his influence on the pitch helped them back into the game.

I'm surprised if people don't see him as a game changer.