Reality Check | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Reality Check

A

Alan.Frost

Hi all, time for a reality check despite the euphoria.
In my opinion the play off finals are more important to any club than a one off cup win such as the FA Cup. They are about the future. We may outnumber the AFC fans but it is the players performing at their absolute best, combined with a bit of luck that will decide the outcome, we will have no bearing whatsoever. AFC are no mugs and they have a good record against us.
See y'all Monday.

Sep 13, 2003
Whilst I agree the playoffs are more important than say a cup final. The playoffs are far far more obtainable. I think a defeat in a cup final like Palace's last weekend would hurt more than any playoff final defeat.

We can still lose Monday..it's 50-50 in my eyes. Then it will be back to League Two...however lots of teams lose Playoff off finals and come back stronger the next season. Rotherham lost the League Two playoff final to Dagenham in 2010...now look where the two teams are. 3 divisions between the two now. Losing to Portsmouth would have been much more heart breaking.

Sep 6, 2006
Clarke_B":2n7ozfx6 said:
Whilst I agree the playoffs are more important than say a cup final. The playoffs are far far more obtainable. I think a defeat in a cup final like Palace's last weekend would hurt more than any playoff final defeat.

We can still lose Sunday...it's 50-50 in my eyes. Then it will be back to League Two...however lots of teams lose Playoff off finals and come back stronger the next season. Rotherham lost the League Two playoff final to Dagenham in 2010...now look where the two teams are. 3 divisions between the two now. Losing to Portsmouth would have been much more heart breaking.

No way are we losing on Sunday.

Sep 13, 2003
Balham_Green":cchcj2u7 said:
Clarke_B":cchcj2u7 said:

We can still lose Sunday...it's 50-50 in my eyes. Then it will be back to League Two...however lots of teams lose Playoff off finals and come back stronger the next season. Rotherham lost the League Two playoff final to Dagenham in 2010...now look where the two teams are. 3 divisions between the two now. Losing to Portsmouth would have been much more heart breaking.

No way are we losing on Sunday.

Haha oops. I'm working Sunday...no way I would make it !

I peed myself a little in Block 3 last week. I've enjoyed the euphoria. I haven't thought about much since. Burton fan mate of mine called me this eve to wish good luck etc .... and said "just prepare your mind a little for either eventuality" and take in the and enjoy the day ! Rare to ever get to see and support your club at Wembley. what ever the outcome.

easy to say and hard to agree ; but agree I will - what ever happens I have fallen deeper in love with my club, am so proud to be a Green, proud of our fans, proud to have stood on the Demport for last 6 hard years, and will be proud of all that is PAFC on Monday. Whatever the result. :greensmile:

pilgrimmike1

R.I.P
Oct 5, 2010
oggieland
Alan.Frost":nus2r71r said:
In my opinion the play off finals are more important to any club than a one off cup win such as the FA Cup. They are about the future. We may outnumber the AFC fans but it is the players performing at their absolute best, combined with a bit of luck that will decide the outcome, we will have no bearing whatsoever. AFC are no mugs and they have a good record against us.
See y'all Monday.

don't believe that for a second, the lads in full voice will give the team the encouragement to push them over the line. :scarf:

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
pilgrimmike1":1fvhh8yt said:
Alan.Frost":1fvhh8yt said:
See y'all Monday.

don't believe that for a second, the lads in full voice will give the team the encouragement to push them over the line. :scarf:

Every time.

Stuff reality...I'm there for a good time and a victory.

IF we don't do it, as Clarke says, we'll come back stronger next year.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
we can have 33K fans at wembley but it doesn't mean we are going to win...dagenham recently had only 200 odd fans at hp yet beat us 3-2...portsmouth had 16k against our 2k made little difference to the final result at fratton...support counts for nothing..if argyle win then great if not well I suppose there's always next year............

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Broc's Pilgrimage":3q1f4bfq said:
Rare to ever get to see and support your club at Wembley. what ever the outcome.

I never realised how deprived the Green Army have been when it comes to trips to Wembley compared to other clubs. I saw the other day that Morpeth and Hereford became the 198th and 199th teams to have played at Wembley (new and old) and join Argyle to become two of now 78 teams who have only been there once.

Torquay (6) and Tiverton Town (3) lead the way for Devon and Monday will see Argyle go level with those up the road.

At the top end Arsenal have played there 49 time with Manchester United two behind after last weekend. The most surprising was Dagenham & Redbridge in =13th position with along with neighbours West Ham United who have both been to the Twin Towers/Arch ten times. I guess they must have counted the various guises throughout the club's history.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
oddball":2ov75dfh said:
we can have 33K fans at wembley but it doesn't mean we are going to win...dagenham recently had only 200 odd fans at hp yet beat us 3-2...portsmouth had 16k against our 2k made little difference to the final result at fratton...support counts for nothing..if argyle win then great if not well I suppose there's always next year............

Not like you to be so pragmatic Alf :whistle: .

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Lundan Cabbie":35t2sun5 said:
Broc's Pilgrimage":35t2sun5 said:
Rare to ever get to see and support your club at Wembley. what ever the outcome.

I never realised how deprived the Green Army have been when it comes to trips to Wembley compared to other clubs. I saw the other day that Morpeth and Hereford became the 198th and 199th teams to have played at Wembley (new and old) and join Argyle to become two of now 78 teams who have only been there once.

Torquay (6) and Tiverton Town (3) lead the way for Devon and Monday will see Argyle go level with those up the road.

At the top end Arsenal have played there 49 time with Manchester United two behind after last weekend. The most surprising was Dagenham & Redbridge in =13th position with along with neighbours West Ham United who have both been to the Twin Towers/Arch ten times. I guess they must have counted the various guises throughout the club's history.

I read somewhere once that Leyton Orient has played at Wembley the most times. Due mainly to having their stadium destroyed by the Luftwaffe they played post war matches at Wembley until their stadium was rebuilt. This could well be an urban myth though.

Sep 13, 2003
Ade the green":2sqfa1ox said:
Lundan Cabbie":2sqfa1ox said:
Broc's Pilgrimage":2sqfa1ox said:

I read somewhere once that Leyton Orient has played at Wembley the most times. Due mainly to having their stadium destroyed by the Luftwaffe they played post war matches at Wembley until their stadium was rebuilt. This could well be an urban myth though.

http://footballsite.co.uk/Statistics/Ar ... embley.htm

This article suggests they (as Clapton Orient) only played 2 games at Wembley when alterations were made to the ground at Lea Bridge. I imagine Arsenal or Spurs would be top of the London pops when it comes to Wembley appearances.

Aug 2, 2011
We may go into the game as favourites but be under no illusion that Wimbledon will roll over. They have as much at stake as we do and their track record this season is pretty much the same as ours.

In nearly all the big attendance games at HP this season we have looked poor and lost games that on paper we should have comfortably won. Against Dagenham and R we were 3 nil down in the blink of an eye.

As someone who has been going to HP since 1954/55 on too many occasions I have seen the underdog out perform the favourite.

As Dave Allen used to say whoever your God is lets hope he or she is smiling on the Greens on Monday.

Oct 24, 2010
There are no favourites. It depends on which team performs on the day and, no doubt, luck will play a large part. It's very much 50/50.