Street traders | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Street traders

Jan 3, 2013
The con men from Newcastle are flogging hooky Argo gear in the city centre again without a licence, the city centre manager has refused requests to take action......I wonder why?

If enough of us contact trading standards they'll have to take action
01752 307948

After all, it's money not going to Argo but to these crooks

D

Darren Stoneman

It british law that allows peddling not PCC licensing that stops it, as long as the trader is moving, this one does, then they require no license. Unfortunately as the items are significantly cheaper than at Home Park people will buy from them,

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The one I saw had stopped, as for his prices, true, but the quality was crap and the use of Plymouth without Argyle is abhorrent to most Argyle fans I know.

As for PCC, I doubt if they do anything if they could, they'd probably have to do a risk assessment first!!

Barrie Davis

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
I used to deal with street traders in Torbay. These people may have Pedlars Certificate under the 1871 Act which does not exempt them from street trading regulations which are dealt with (or not) by council enforcement officers. It does not matter if they stop or not, these certificates are only meant to be issued to people who have no fixed abode and spend their lives travelling. It enables them to sell as they travel, it is an offence to travel just to sell. I suspect that the council has used an 'in the public interest' test. If they chase them around and report the offence, by the time it gets to court, the fine will be minimal compared to the profits. Best thin is to not buy their gear.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":2qbmfo66 said:
The one I saw had stopped, as for his prices, true, but the quality was crap and the use of Plymouth without Argyle is abhorrent to most Argyle fans I know.

As for PCC, I doubt if they do anything if they could, they'd probably have to do a risk assessment first!!

It will be brought up when the council sits....... on Tuesday if everyone is back from Wembley. :greensmile:

P

pafcstafford

What's the big deal some blokes trying to earn a living. Give them a break you don't have to buy anything. Think of it as free advertising for argyle. Pleased there's a market for it.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
pafcstafford":z8g8lebq said:
What's the big deal some blokes trying to earn a living. Give them a break you don't have to buy anything. Think of it as free advertising for argyle. Pleased there's a market for it.

A few blokes unjustly earning a living from Argyle's hard work. It is Argyle's brand to sell, Argyle's market to exploit, Argyle's money that has been on the line every time it's been committed to a new player; Argyle's risk.

The club isn't a charity, nicely giving local tat pushers a chance to earn an easy living. You only have to read the Leap of Faith thread, look back to 5 years ago to realise what a delicate balance running a business actually is even without lazy IP thieves cutting into your margins.

How about I head down to Drake Circus, bring along a few dodgy iPhones, some knock-off Rolexes and a few stolen Ralph Lauren shirts and try my luck? Just because Argyle isn't a luxury global brand doesn't stop it from being theft.

This is our club, we've backed the greens through good and bad, thick and thin; why should a couple of chancers selling "Plymouth" hats, scarves and t-shirts make a single penny from our club's hard work.

Sep 13, 2003
Ollie, hang on....so you are comparing them to thieves? ("Stolen rolex's"). The haven't stolen anything, they are just selling rubbish merchandise.

Maybe if our own club shop wasn't so sub standard, people wouldn't resort to buying that pap off an Essex street trader. Went to the Newcastle Utd club shop today, that shows you how it's done!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
:lol:

How many millions have a they had from Sky? Let alone 50,000 people walking in through the turnstiles!

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Clarke_B":18bvibeh said:
Ollie, hang on....so you are comparing them to thieves? ("Stolen rolex's"). The haven't stolen anything, they are just selling rubbish merchandise.

Maybe if our own club shop wasn't so sub standard, people wouldn't resort to buying that pap off an Essex street trader. Went to the Newcastle Utd club shop today, that shows you how it's done!

They are attempts to avoid "theft" of another's creations by subtly not using the club name or badge to avoid intellectual property infringement which is very much linked to theft. The piracy advert at the beginning of a DVD being a prime example of the comparison. So I am comparing them to thieves as they are dancing around the the law on IP without actually breaking it.

It's as good a link as Argyle are to a club with the fanbase, commercial department and financial pulling power of Newcastle United :)

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
I don't mind seeing these traders they only appear when we are successful long may it continue.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I suppose in a 'begging letter' sort of way, you have a (Jannerish) point. :greensmile:

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
IJN":1mjd04m3 said:
I suppose in a 'begging letter' sort of way, you have a (Jannerish) point. :greensmile:

"Fact"

I will be at the Ridgeway to day with my Plmuf gear on sale. :thumbup: