Once, maybe twice in a lifetime..... | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Once, maybe twice in a lifetime.....

Mar 14, 2009
Always growing up the dream was to go to Wembley.

Until the playoffs were introduced though there never seen much hope. I heard about our league cup and FA cup exploits in the early 70's and '84 but I was too young to even understand or experience what was going on.

I think even in the late 80's, maybe the early 90's you didn't even have the football league trophy that league one and league two teams play for with a chance of getting to Wembley. I remember an Anglo-Italian cup. That was a strange competition in itself.

So Wembley was a dream that would never seemingly by able to turn to reality. This was more so the fact it seemed when Burnley beat us at home in the playoffs in what seemingly felt like a real chance to final get to the promised land.

So, when 1996 came around and Argyle were 1-0 from the first leg I thought he we go again. Even more so after going two goals up and then witnessing that Mark Kinsella thunderbolt. It was like a dagger to the heart. We looked like going out and then Paul "Charlie" Williams got that header and it was possible to believe you can realise your footballing dreams.

So we did it. We got to Wembley. First dream realised. The next was to see them win. Ronnie Mauge's header was a footballing picture of beauty. We won. Second dreamed realised.

We will always have the memories of '96.

Now, 20 years on it taken a while but we are back there again. Same ground, new look.

Would love for it to happen all over again. To experience all over again. To have that same feeling and euphoria.

Do dreams come true 2nd time around? Can we really be that fortunate second time around to experience a victory? Does lightening strike twice?

This could be our last chance for a while perhaps. After all the suffering times over recent years this would give something back to the city and really rejuvenate the fan base. However, we have no divine right to win this game and AFC Wimbledon would be arguing after their recent struggles.

I'm being greedy. Yet is there is a footballing god, please just let us have our moment in the sun, once again!

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Metal_Green_Mickey":1unj3w3q said:
Lewdownlee":1unj3w3q said:
Milkman they defo went to Wembley as my dad mentioned it today as he went!

Did they? When did this happen?
Appears that it was a National Youth Club competition for 16 - 21 year olds. Found this online:

The competition also had finals at Wembley 1974 (sponsored by Tesco) and 1975 (Thorn Electrical).
Plymouth (Devonport Dockyard Apprentices) appeared in both v Sheffield (1974) and Merseyside (1975).

I couldn't find how they got on.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
They won.

Players like Andy Snelson and Dave Mould played in it.

Also there was a player called Dougie Holt (I think it was) who lost his leg after breaking his leg scoring the winner in the semi final. All from memory but I think I'm right.

Mar 14, 2009
Its just my Dad worked in the dockyard but never once mentioned it. I will see if I can find out more.

So maybe asking the footballing Gods for win no3 at Wembley is too much to ask?

They did indeed win it at wembley. I was an apprentice at the same time as
them in goschen yard around 1970/71. It was televised as i remember watching it.
Cannot remember the score but they did win. The names i can remember were paul horrocks at CB
and phil harvey at FB. Roy carter is the easiest to remember as he went on into league football
with hereford and others after playing for falmouth. He was from torpoint.
Andy snelson rings a bell too.

Look what i have found. Just shows how memories fade.
3 times they appeared at wembley. I was down in the dockyard by summer 72 so some of
these boys must have been later intakes. Paul horrocks is still in it but no roy carter.
Dave pook is in there who was younger than me but from my old school burrington sec.
Lots of these names played in local football over the years.
The one I remember above was probably their first and must have been televised as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXPs7JFcRko
Also noted at 50.00 and after a boy in a wheelchair presented with a medal by joe mercer and
then shown with the trophy after. He did indeed lose his leg to injury. Poignant moments.
Unbelievable I cannot remember doug holt. The boy is a Plymouth hero and forgotten by me.
Fortunately this video remembers him and also some great local history long forgotten.

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
Al Krac also played and is mentioned. Very talented footballer who was part of a very successful Rank Social football team managed by Colin Fice. Had some great days out with those boys.

Aug 10, 2006
Metal_Green_Mickey":2hrl2fqe said:
Always growing up the dream was to go to Wembley.

Until the playoffs were introduced though there never seen much hope. I heard about our league cup and FA cup exploits in the early 70's and '84 but I was too young to even understand or experience what was going on.

I think even in the late 80's, maybe the early 90's you didn't even have the football league trophy that league one and league two teams play for with a chance of getting to Wembley. I remember an Anglo-Italian cup. That was a strange competition in itself.

So Wembley was a dream that would never seemingly by able to turn to reality. This was more so the fact it seemed when Burnley beat us at home in the playoffs in what seemingly felt like a real chance to final get to the promised land.

So, when 1996 came around and Argyle were 1-0 from the first leg I thought he we go again. Even more so after going two goals up and then witnessing that Mark Kinsella thunderbolt. It was like a dagger to the heart. We looked like going out and then Paul "Charlie" Williams got that header and it was possible to believe you can realise your footballing dreams.

So we did it. We got to Wembley. First dream realised. The next was to see them win. Ronnie Mauge's header was a footballing picture of beauty. We won. Second dreamed realised.

We will always have the memories of '96.

Now, 20 years on it taken a while but we are back there again. Same ground, new look.

Would love for it to happen all over again. To experience all over again. To have that same feeling and euphoria.

Do dreams come true 2nd time around? Can we really be that fortunate second time around to experience a victory? Does lightening strike twice?

This could be our last chance for a while perhaps. After all the suffering times over recent years this would give something back to the city and really rejuvenate the fan base. However, we have no divine right to win this game and AFC Wimbledon would be arguing after their recent struggles.

I'm being greedy. Yet is there is a footballing god, please just let us have our moment in the sun, once again!
it's not the same ground it's a new one, WEMBLEY was the original and alway's will be.

G

Greenskin

Fat_green_belly":2msir4ei said:
3 times they appeared at wembley. I was down in the dockyard by summer 72 so some of
these boys must have been later intakes. Paul horrocks is still in it but no roy carter.
Dave pook is in there who was younger than me but from my old school burrington sec.
The one I remember above was probably their first and must have been televised as well.
Also noted at 50.00 and after a boy in a wheelchair presented with a medal by joe mercer and
then shown with the trophy after. He did indeed lose his leg to injury. Poignant moments.
Unbelievable I cannot remember doug holt. The boy is a Plymouth hero and forgotten by me.
Fortunately this video remembers him and also some great local history long forgotten.

Wow, that is a good find. Played against a fair few of the players in that film, not very successfully it has to be said. :) Was the Sullivan mentioned Colin's brother-seems to ring a bell somewhere.

Greenskin":njnbr7hc said:
Fat_green_belly":njnbr7hc said:

Wow, that is a good find. Played against a fair few of the players in that film, not very successfully it has to be said. :) Was the Sullivan mentioned Colin's brother-seems to ring a bell somewhere.
Your the same as me greenskin. The ringing of bells.
Cannot quite remember enough. I could only remember the one wembley game but now
with this video i can vaguely recall the other previous one they lost.
Had to be through gossip at work i guess.
I think you may be right about keith being colin sullivans brother.
I thought keith was also involved in argyle in some way as well. I know dave pook played
for our reserves at one time so maybe the same for keith.
Like you say it rings a bell.
74/75 was the mariner/rafferty season. I had just finished my 4 year apprenticeship
and argyle home and away had become the main thing in my life at that time.
Thats possibly why the doug holt story didnt register with me?
Their 3 wembley appearances would have been 72/73(lost),73/74(win) and 74/75(win).
The one i witnessed on tv must have been the 73/74 one then. I thought it was
earlier but there you go. I was still mixing with other boys at college and down in
the yard so would have known of the game and tv coverage that way.
Wonderful wembley story though of doug determined to walk those famous steps for his
medal and the team dedicating the win to him. I really hope everything has worked out
for him since.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
First time going Wembley, because it's been a dream of mine and always said first game I want to see there is a Argyle one. Can't believe it's coming true.

Mixed emotions about it, buzzing and nervous at same time. I'm sure many is feeling the same. Hopefully the lads can pull it off. COYG